Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expectations for the season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts

Expectations for the season

Well, with the licence mess fixed up what are your expectations for the season ahead? We have made very good signings although I havent seen any of them in action yet, there seems to be good reports about them. Heres what I think we should be aiming for:

LEAGUE:
    I would like to see us push for a European spot through the League, even if it is only the Intertoto. I think Shels will pull away from Cork who will pull away from the likes of us, Bohs, Drogs and Waterford to fight it out for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th.

SETANTA CUP:
    I think we are well capable of winning this and with the prize-money involved, it would be well worth it. I think we will at least get to the final.

UEFA CUP:
    I would like us to progress through at least 1 round.

FAI CUP:
    Well, the run has to end somewhere and I have a feeling it might be this year, although it would be amazing to win 3 in a row.

LEAGUE CUP:
    This should be the least of our worries but it would be nice to win it again.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Hoping to be in the group from 2nd to 4th in the league, I reckon we can catch Cork. Win the Setanta Cup or at least get to the final, go through a round in Europe and have a good run in the cups, that would be a successful season.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    simply to win as much as we can.its impossible to win everything so i would probably sacrafice the lc to win the setanta or fai cup again and the LEAGUE despite some of you guys limited ambition.!!!!!!

The league has got to be the main focus this year.Remember where one finishes in the league tells who is the best not winning the fai cup.The cup games are one offs and depend on what happens on the day and luck.I would expect us to certainly challenge for the Setanta and the top 2 or 3 in the league nothing below will do.After all we want to improve on past sesons not equal them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well. Good question De Town,

Again, the league form has to become consistant. League wise, I would like to see us perhaps lose/draw a maximum of five games at home. (This is without looking at who we are playing once/twice at home. This sort of form would translate into at least a 3rd/4th place in the league.

Setanta Cup is going to be hard guns. To reach the final would be special, however we can't say that we've got a good exchange out of the Shels and Cork of this league lately and unfortunatly we're going to be up against similar in Glentoran and Linfield. The bookies and the opposition have us as 5th favourite and I can understand that, we will be really performing above ourselves to reach the final. Once in that sort of position, anything could happen.

FAI cup. Fairy tail stuff for the Town fans but to echo Longfordian, we have to be beat sometime. No doubt our lads love this competition and will be even more up for it this year but I fear lady luck has be somewhere else some day.

League Cup. Could win it next year.

I'm being a bit negative. We're going to have a great season this year, that is in no doubt. It's going to be one of the best seasons to be going to the flansiro.

Hopefully the greater Longford crowd will discover the LTFC.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    All reports on Glens and Linfield have it that they're nothing to be afraid of and certainly not on par with Shels. I really think we'll do well in the Setanta Cup..If I had a lump of money to spare it would be going on us to win it at 12/1. Everyone in the club wants a good consistent league season, our captain and manager definitely feel we're well capable of 2nd or 3rd this season. Increased crowds would also be a boost, we could do with getting off to a good start.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    where were ye getting 12-1????
    The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Ladbrokes are quoting or at least were last week, odds of 12/1 for us to win the Setanta Cup

mentioned here
    Last edited by Longfordian; 21/02/2005 at 3:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie! Ltfc 2005

Longford Town's first ambition this season should be to beat Glentoran in the Oval on March 15th. Their second aim should be to commence their league campaign with three points over Waterford. Similar to Jose Mourinho at Chelsea and many of the continental managers, this is the sort of football philosophy Matthews and co should be adopting at Flancare Park. This season's squad will have a new look about it with a number of new and unproven quantities at De Town and it's going to demand time and patience for these players to gel and work within our system. A lot of optimism regarding this seasons expectations is shared among many of the town faithful on this forum. However, I for one am not so sure.
    Firstly I believe we have no chance of winning the league. The best team wins the league and that team will once again be Shelbourne. As a part time outfit, our squad is nowhere near good enough and we lack strength in depth. Third position is the best we can hope for and if that were to happen it would prove a very successful league campaign.
    The prize money is a huge incentive for all to win the Setanta Cup. However this competition may be coming a little premature for Longford. We are in a very tough group and in both Linfield and Glentoran we are going into the unknown.
    It is great for club and supporters to have Europe to look forward to once again. Last year's experience should stand to us but one wonders will that be enough to progress any further. A lot will depend on the opposition but realistically it's hard to see us improving on last year. I hope I'm wrong.
    To retain the FAI Cup and League Cup would be remarkable. However, as we all know the best team doesn't always win the cups and a large degree of fortune is always required. To win the FAI Cup for the third time in a row is a lot to ask for but who knows! It may once again prove our best and only chance of silverware. Fingers crossed .

In summary, I'm living in hope more than expectation ahead of this season's commencement. I tend to be cautious rather than optimistic anyway. A number of new faces at a club can sometimes have an adverse affect on a club in that it can unsettle others within the group. Here's hoping for a successful 2005!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillo
    As a part time outfit, our squad is nowhere near good enough and we lack strength in depth. Third position is the best we can hope for and if that were to happen it would prove a very successful league campaign.!
    I don't think there's many better squads than ours apart from Shels, the one thing about being part time is that it may count against us towards the end of the season when players are carrying knocks and have to work and train. I think this is our strongest ever squad we have two players at least for every position

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My greatest hope for this season is that the team starts to perform well at home games. For the last three seasons the worst performances have been at Flancare and resulted in crowds diminishing instead of increasing as the year went on. Good exciting performances at home will increase the gates and help achieve all the targets the rest of you have been setting. Perhaps Alan Matthews should consider more training sessions at Flancare so that the players can get a better feel for the place, and please, please stop reducing the pitch size every time Shels, Cork or Bohs come to Longford. It sends out a bad message as to the managers faith in the football ability of our own squad and diminishes home advantage if the pitch size keeps changing.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    My hopes for the season....

Final of Setanta Cup - I think Linfield and Glentoran are beatable. Watch Season Ticket on BBC2 NI. Defending is muck in the Irish League, and I think if our defence performs then we're in with a chance. Also Glens and Linfield will probably take points off each other as well. I'd be satisfied with getting to the final, and then it'd be down to one game against Shels or Cork, and who knows (we do have a 100% record in finals in Lansdowne afterall).

Best of the Part Time Teams in the league - Unfortunately that may not be that high up the table. Derry and Waterford are going to be virtually full time this season, on top of Shels, Drogs, Cork and Bohs. As with last season, it maybe our best ever squad, but others are moving further ahead the whole time*. A decent home record would be a start, but my expectations aren't that high for the league. If we can finish in amongst the Drogs, Cork and Bohs I think it would be an excellent league performance.

UEFA Cup - Progress through a round. Depends on the draw.

FAI Cup - Love a 3 in a row, but too many variables in terms of draws, injuries etc. to demand it. Another good run would do me, if we can get to the Quarter Finals, then it's on...

League Cup - wouldn't be so blasé about a national trophy to say it doesn't matter, but bottom of the list of priorities.

*That's not a criticism of the committee, as frankly I wonder where the funds come from for the standard of squad we currently have, and would totally oppose gambling the clubs future on a futile attempt to go full time.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Don't think Waterford are full time, I could be wrong though. It's question of whether our part timers are superior to other clubs' full timers. In Derry's case I would say yes and I don't see why we can't finish above Bohs who will be weaker than last year. I genuinely feel top 4 is achievable, but I suppose we could be hit by injuries at the end of the season if we have similar fixture congestion to the last two years. Our fitness levels in games themselves are every bit as high as the full time teams

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cop on
    WHY NOT ?????????????????
    I did say why. Ultimately it tells in the long run. The top of the division has been made up of the full time clubs since they started going full time. Bohs and Shels have shared it, last season with Cork being virtually full time (certainly the first team) they broke into the top 2, with Bohs (full time) being third. This season add in Drogs and imo you have the top 4. Whether Spock can prove he can handle a full time club is another matter.

We have a great squad, but as we progress so do others. I don't think it's fair that our squad is viewed in isolation - as it has been the last couple of seasons by the Matthews Out Brigade.....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie! Ltfc 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Cop on
    'Nuff said !!!!!!!
    What do you mean? Unfortunately cop on, the league title is beyond our grasp whether you like it or not. No point in fooling ourselves. I wish I was wrong but I'm not.

It is vital, as a number of people rightly pointed out that our home performances improve drastically this season. We should make Flancare Park a fortress from the word go. Recent seasons have saw us play some our worst football and consequently produce our poorest results at the Strokestown Road venue. This has had a negative impact on our regular home attendances, especially the sunshine supporters. If nothing else changes this season, I want a huge turnaround on our home form. We gave Shels a footballing lesson at the end of last season in the Flansiro. There is no reason why this level of performance cannot be sustained.

One cannot underestimate Bohemians this season. I am informed from a reliable source that Farrelly's training ground practices are second to none. He has the right ideas and always gets the best out of his players. There is no doubt the're going to miss the likes of Crowe, Ryan and Hawkins and Lynch and Webb to a lesser extent. Having said that however, they have the dynamic midfield partnership of Hunt and Farrelly (although similar players it must be said) which could well prove the best in the league. In Stephen Ward, they have the best young and up and coming striker in the EL while full back Darren Burke has huge potential. They may well prove to be the dark horses this season.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd be inclined to agree with you dillo.Firstly we still aren't good enough to win the league although we are geting closer and secondly don't write off Bohs just yet.They play the game the right way and gave us a footballing lesson in Dalyer last season and only for they couldn't finish us off we may have been bet by 2 or 3 quite easily.Whether they have the ability and strenght in depth to sustain a serious challenge remains to be seen but they will surprise a few people.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Donald Keogh's expectations for the season seem to have dropped as he is quoted in the Leader as reviewing his position over some incident at the dinner dance in Edgeworthstown. Any idea what happened?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Donald as one of the chief organisers of the dinner dance was annoyed at the failure of alot of people to turn up who had promised their attendance seemingly. I wouldn't think he'll be going anywhere just yet.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If thats the extent of his problem I agree. It would take more than that to shift him. Anyway I am sure the referees and linesmens associations would stage a protest if they thought he would no longer be at pitchside to give them his usual support and encouragement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can remember Donald,Jude Mc Grath and some other guy from the days in Abbeycartron and i think the only reason they turned up was to give the referee grief and by god did they give it to him.These guys were the only people who could make a ref change his mind other than Brian Mc Cartan who threatened to tell the social welfare that Jimmy Shaughnessy was working and signing at the same time if he sent him off during a Paddy Clabby cup match so what was a certain red card turned into a yellow.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah i think Donald is only trying to ruffle a few feathers.His blood is red and black and he has been involved in the club in some way or another for the last god knows how long and i really hope he dosen't leave.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast