Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Who is your choice for the next senior men's international team manager

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allardyce, Sam

2 6.06%
  • Bilic, Slaven

0 0%
  • Bruce, Steve

0 0%
  • Carsley, Lee

1 3.03%
  • Clement, Paul

0 0%
  • Coleman, Chris

1 3.03%
  • Cook, Paul

2 6.06%
  • Goran-Eriksson, Sven

1 3.03%
  • Grayson, Simon

0 0%
  • Hughton, Chris

5 15.15%
  • Keane, Robbie

1 3.03%
  • Keane, Roy

1 3.03%
  • Kenny, Stephen

14 42.42%
  • Kerr, Brian

3 9.09%
  • Lennon, Neil

1 3.03%
  • McCarthy, Mick

7 21.21%
  • Moyes, David

0 0%
  • Queiroz, Carlos

2 6.06%
  • Redknapp, Harry

1 3.03%
  • Wenger, Arsene

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Ireland manager?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Saudi Arabia sacked Bert van Marwijk right after he guided them to the World Cup in Russia.
    Led the Dutch to the World Cup final in 2010 but followed it up with a similar Euros to us in 2012.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I'd rather we didn't go after a big name.

We should have snapped up Michael O'Neill when we had the chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Is Delaney had gone after Michael O'Neill when Martin O'Neill was available, there would have been war

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    That's the problem, all of Delaney's decisions are based on media optics. He's not the type of guy who is going to make a brave decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Appointing Staunton had almost no support right from the beginning.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    That's the problem, all of Delaney's decisions are based on media optics. He's not the type of guy who is going to make a brave decision.
    Staunton was a brave, if stupid decision. Once bitten, twice shy. Given a choice of O'Neill/Keane over Michael O' Neill who can honestly blame Delaney for his choice. And how many at that time argued that Michael O'Neill was a better choice? BTW, it does stick in my throat defending Delaney.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Staunton was a brave, if stupid decision. Once bitten, twice shy. Given a choice of O'Neill/Keane over Michael O' Neill who can honestly blame Delaney for his choice. And how many at that time argued that Michael O'Neill was a better choice? BTW, it does stick in my throat defending Delaney.
    I guess a more accurate description would be that Delaney is lazy.

He appointed Staunton because he knew him and he was cheap.

Then Denis O'Brien came along with a sack full of money and told him to appoint Trap. And so it was done. Same with MONKEANO.

Difficult to know what Delaney actually does.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    I guess a more accurate description would be that Delaney is lazy.

He appointed Staunton because he knew him and he was cheap.

Difficult to know what Delaney actually does.
    delaney was impressed by stan during the wc 2002 player bonuses negotiations and got the job on the back of it. i heard that from the same reliable source that told me stan would get the job long before stans name was even nearly being mentioned as a candidate.

love him or hate him delaney has turned the FAIs financial fortunes around. the FAIs turnover is many multiples of what it was before he took over. that doesnt sit easy with most fans but its the truth
    Last edited by jbyrne; 18/09/2017 at 7:53 PM.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Has anyone mentioned Mick McCarthy yet? Well I just did. (seems he has been mentioned).
    Ipswich will top the Championship if they win their game in hand.
    What about Brian Kerr? The Faroes did well after he left, maybe he started something?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Can't see past big Sam , solid defence , organised team , danger from set pieces, will make people want to avoid us again

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunners View Post
    Can't see past big Sam , solid defence , organised team , danger from set pieces, will make people want to avoid us again
    Yeah it will. Fans included.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunners View Post
    Thats not very different from what we are now .

In fairness at Club Level does anyone do it better....Perhaps Tony Pulis is near .

Would International Managers have the same amount of time to organise .

If Big Sam had the Same success as Big Jack a lot of people would..ahem..live with the not so pleasant football......Big Sam would probably be expensive as he like nice big earners .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    There's another candidate coming out of left-field.

Experience across Europe? Turkey, Italy, Switzerland as well as Scotland and England.

Played at high level: 50 international caps, now semi-retired from club football.

Assured and witty media performer. "I'd quite fancy playing Argentina and Brazil in the Euros".

Subtle diplomatic skills in conflict situations- Celtic and Rangers fans both hate him equally.

Step forward Big Kyle Laugherty, your time has come

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    There's another candidate coming out of left-field.

Experience across Europe? Turkey, Italy, Switzerland as well as Scotland and England.

Played at high level: 50 international caps, now semi-retired from club football.

Assured and witty media performer. "I'd quite fancy playing Argentina and Brazil in the Euros".

Subtle diplomatic skills in conflict situations- Celtic and Rangers fans both hate him equally.

Step forward Big Kyle Laugherty, your time has come
    Surely a Stronger Candidate for Norn Ireland as Michael O'Neill's Successor .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Vastly experienced it seems alright. He's okay in my book - http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...aims-1-3458813

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Vastly experienced it seems alright. He's okay in my book - http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...aims-1-3458813
    Apparently he was scoring a lot off the Pitch......which was effecting his performance on the field.

Sadly Scores off the field do not come into consideration for league position .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I'd give it to Mick if he wanted it in a heartbeat. ...maybe even Roy might stay on in the same capacity.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I'd give it to Mick if he wanted it in a heartbeat. ...maybe even Roy might stay on in the same capacity.
    Yes, and maybe Roy will let Mick sleep with his wife too.

*canned laughter*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    delaney was impressed by stan during the wc 2002 player bonuses negotiations and got the job on the back of it. i heard that from the same reliable source that told me stan would get the job long before stans name was even nearly being mentioned as a candidate.

love him or hate him delaney has turned the FAIs financial fortunes around. the FAIs turnover is many multiples of what it was before he took over. that doesnt sit easy with most fans but its the truth

It's a partial truth though and the turnover is from a very low base.

I dunno about 'turned the FAIs financial fortunes around either'. The debts have been 'restructured' til no ones really sure when, we're saddled with a stadium we will never own or extract non-football income from -but on which there are still repayments to be made. This affects football beyond the international setup and the pale as well. As any Limerick supporter will tell you -potentially lucrative initiatives for LoI teams such as friendlies, testemonials etc against glamourous opposition are now verbotten as those teams visits are now strictly reserved for pre-season insert-name-of-sponsor cup tournaments to service debts on that same stadium we'll never own. Adding insult to injury - getting to play against big shiney foreign teams gets presented as part of your 'prize' for winning the LoI. Thats as far as I'm going with his contempt for the LoI.
    Servicing the debts on the stadium also means there is zero prospect of Ireland ever playing anywhere but there. Meaning competetive internationals that could and should be played away from LR cannot happen. We should be playing San Marino at the Showground, Armenia in Thomond Park etc. No hope ever.

Then there's the precedent of the 'marquee manager' that he's set with Trap. shur that'll look like he's doing something. The Irish managers job was already relatively well paid since Micks time. Now we're paying over the odds and need the assistance of benefactors to make sure the cheque clears. So basically as we go forward it is not unlikely that anyone who's managed in the premier league for a wet weekend is going to be asking "where's MY 2 million quid?"

To be fair -there has been some of the much vaunted investment in 'grassroots' -anyone who visits junior football grounds with any frequesncy can't help but notice. But it hasn't been anything like as extensive as anywhere comparable. Iceland with the population of Cork put in what we have and more without it being noticed til they were in the knockout stages. His Welsh counterpart, who has overseen a genuine revolution in their setup and fortunes, has done it on half the salary Delaney draws.

Then there's the fact that he runs the FAI and it's engagment with the press and the supporters like he's the head honcho of one of those countries who have the words Democratic Republic in their official moniker and emphasise them at every turn as if an ironic in-joke on their being neither especially democratic nor in any real way republics.
    Last edited by Lionel Ritchie; 19/09/2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: adding quote from jbyrne
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post

Says Mr FAI, yeah 40 million in debt to a stadium they wont even own in the end

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast