Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Who is your choice for the next senior men's international team manager

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allardyce, Sam

2 6.06%
  • Bilic, Slaven

0 0%
  • Bruce, Steve

0 0%
  • Carsley, Lee

1 3.03%
  • Clement, Paul

0 0%
  • Coleman, Chris

1 3.03%
  • Cook, Paul

2 6.06%
  • Goran-Eriksson, Sven

1 3.03%
  • Grayson, Simon

0 0%
  • Hughton, Chris

5 15.15%
  • Keane, Robbie

1 3.03%
  • Keane, Roy

1 3.03%
  • Kenny, Stephen

14 42.42%
  • Kerr, Brian

3 9.09%
  • Lennon, Neil

1 3.03%
  • McCarthy, Mick

7 21.21%
  • Moyes, David

0 0%
  • Queiroz, Carlos

2 6.06%
  • Redknapp, Harry

1 3.03%
  • Wenger, Arsene

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Ireland manager?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    We have never had any success from trying to play football.

Any time we have got anywhere over 30 years it has been by playing a high tempo direct game. Why on earth would we try playing a short passing, possession based game again?

We never have more than a couple of players capable of doing it it at once. It doesn't work for us. Never has. Never will.

When O'Neill goes we will need someone similar to him.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    If we wait a bit Slaven Bilic could be an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    What have we to lose on Kenny? ... It could not be much worst that watching the rubbish that was Saturday night! ... His team in fairest try to play the ball on the ground ie football! ... If it dies not work out, then fine but at least give him a chance! Playing big money for a manager doesn't always work out either!
    Our current, and previous, managers are probably paid more than any other manager we've had. Both qualified for tournaments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post

Any time we have got anywhere over 30 years it has been by playing a high tempo direct game. Why on earth would we try playing a short passing, possession based game again?

We never have more than a couple of players capable of doing it it at once. It doesn't work for us. Never has. Never will.

I think some of the football played by mick mccarthys teams was good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post

When have we really ever tried it with a proven manager who does it competently though? I think Stan tried to play a more attractive style of football, but he wasn't even remotely near proven when he was appointed Ireland boss - it was his first ever managerial job - and he was actually pretty naive tactically, as it turned out.

You could maybe say Mick tried it a bit, particularly when he had Roy Keane commandeering the midfield - receiving, controlling and distributing possession - but Mick did well overall, did he not? He utilised the more direct long ball too when Niall Quinn was playing, but it wasn't all route one. He qualified for the World Cup and narrowly missed out on a few other finals in the play-offs, so I think his record was more positive than negative. We don't have a Roy Keane (or Duff or Robbie) playing any more, admittedly, but surely it doesn't mean we have to just by-pass midfield when we're playing teams ranked below 100th in the world. We do have midfielders and attacking players (I've listed them in an earlier post) who are competent with the ball at their feet and who are able to distribute it effectively. The football world has moved on but we have decided to stick to old, out-moded methods for whatever reason.

Whether a more passing-based game would bear fruit or not in the long-run is at least presently still a matter of debate. It's something I think is worth trying, however, because one thing for sure is that the way we played against Georgia the other night clearly didn't work, and that was against one of the weaker sides in Europe. And it won't work if we continue with it either. It didn't work against Austria at home, where we dropped two points that would have come in very handy right now.

Nobody's saying we have to play like Germany, Spain or Barcelona, but we could at least try and mix things up a bit more. Like, we genuinely didn't even string more than four or five midfield passes together at any point on Saturday. There was no diagonal movement or fluidity at all. Even when we did use the long ball, it was aimless and into vacant space on many occasions. We didn't even press Georgia when they were in possession. There was simply no intensity. In the players' defence, perhaps the heat was a factor, but it didn't seem like there was any instruction or intent to do it anyway.

We can't even utilise our wing-backs effectively either. Coleman is the most notable example; at Everton - with his overlapping runs - he has always been a completely different proposition to the player we see in an Ireland jersey. For Ireland, he frequently has to carry the ball up the field himself from right-back in an overall more laboured fashion in order to unleash his attacking threat upon the opposition.

Not once on Saturday did Randolph go for the short pass. He booted it long every single time. Any time Duffy or Clark had the ball, Whelan pointed in another direction (to indicate he didn't want it) and they had to resort to playing it out to Christie, who, on a few occasions, if I recall correctly, was caught out because he was under immediate pressure as soon as he received the ball, so we just ended up relinquishing possession or giving away a throw-in in our own half. The furthest up the field we got with any attempt at a "passing game" was our right-back. I don't understand why Arter wasn't coming back to receive the ball. Perhaps he was instructed to be elsewhere, but Whelan's presence in that area - for all the supposed defensive benefit in terms of his covering of space and preventing potential opposition passes in our half* - undoubtedly stifles any capability we have of passing the ball around midfield and holding on to possession.

Something I've also noticed watching bits of NI's two most-recent games and a few others over the past while is that they're creative even with their set-pieces. They have players making clever runs into good positions to receive the pass whilst the opposition is caught off-guard and under the impression that a shot at goal or a cross is on the cards. I've never seen us attempt anything unconventional or imaginative like that at set-pieces. Our set-pieces are just one-dimensional; a case of lumping the ball into the box in the hope that one of our taller players can be successful in trying to get his head on it. It works now and again, sure - Duffy's goal on Saturday, for example - but it's definitely another area where we could put a bit more thought into things and mix it up a bit.

Stephen Kenny's Dundalk, for example, play attractive (and effective) football but they also defend with composure and don't tend to leave themselves exposed. I do accept points raised above in relation to Kenny's experience though; he isn't proven at international level so could reasonably be regarded as a risk when perceived safer options may be available.

*Worryingly, Whelan's utility and effectiveness even in that defensive or covering role was in question on Saturday.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I think O'Neill and Keane will move on after the World Cup. In which case Kenny would be my choice, he seems to be able to give players belief in themselves. The Europo League campaign might not have been earth shattering but I never thought I would see a League of Ireland team compete at that level in my life time. Rovers got there and looked completely out of their depth. Dundalk were in with a shout of getting out of the group until the last couple matches

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Tony O' Donoghue

It would be good to see how he is on answers........as he can be a bit of a smart ass with the questions.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    I think some of the football played by mick mccarthys teams was good.
    No. His teams played like this 1st 20mins. Don't confuse football with entertainment.

We are direct, aggressive and high tempo. Nothing to do with keeping the ball.

This is as good as we get
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    I would agree with Tets that while Michael O'Neill has done an excellent job, but he like Kenny is unproven at the top level. The suits too are still scarred from their appointment of Kerr and Staunton and will look for an experienced pair of hands.
    I just have to jump in on this, even as an outsider. You can't seriously compare Michael O'Neill and Stephen Kenny to Steve Staunton. Michael O'Neill and Kenny have achieved outstanding feats in European competition with Irish teams, to the point where people outside Ireland, like myself, have sat up and taken notice, because the results have been so remarkable and unexpected. They also both have significant management experience (mostly successful) in other roles. Steve Staunton on the other hand had no previous management experience and, with the greatest of respect to him as a man and player, probably wasn't the right personality for management.

The reason I mentioned Michael O'Neill initially (I'm glad my recommendation is proving so popular, if the FAI would be so kind as to forward my 20% commission to an undisclosed address in the Cayman islands which will be discussed at an informal lunch, I - oh wait, not supposed to mention that, right)

Anyway, as I was saying, the reason I mentioned O'Neill for the Republic job in future was in part because of his record with Northern Ireland but also partly the achievements with Shamrock Rovers. It seems logical that if a manager has punched above his team's weight consistently in the past then they should be able to make the step up to a higher level.

Personally, I would also give Kenny a chance. He has enough experience of European club football to make a decent fist of an international job.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    I just have to jump in on this, even as an outsider. You can't seriously compare Michael O'Neill and Stephen Kenny to Steve Staunton. Michael O'Neill and Kenny have achieved outstanding feats in European competition with Irish teams, to the point where people outside Ireland, like myself, have sat up and taken notice, because the results have been so remarkable and unexpected. They also both have significant management experience (mostly successful) in other roles. Steve Staunton on the other hand had no previous management experience and, with the greatest of respect to him as a man and player, probably wasn't the right personality for management.

The reason I mentioned Michael O'Neill initially (I'm glad my recommendation is proving so popular, if the FAI would be so kind as to forward my 20% commission to an undisclosed address in the Cayman islands which will be discussed at an informal lunch, I - oh wait, not supposed to mention that, right)

Anyway, as I was saying, the reason I mentioned O'Neill for the Republic job in future was in part because of his record with Northern Ireland but also partly the achievements with Shamrock Rovers. It seems logical that if a manager has punched above his team's weight consistently in the past then they should be able to make the step up to a higher level.

Personally, I would also give Kenny a chance. He has enough experience of European club football to make a decent fist of an international job.
    Where did I compare Kenny and O'Neill to Steve Staunton? I was referring to the fact that anything that might be deemed risky will not occur as the suits at the FAI have been scarred in the past. If O'Neill does stand down after this campaign, you can be guaranteed a safe, experienced manager will be their first choice. Someone like Hughton rather than someone like Kenny or O'Neill.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Left field ...Glenn Hoddle

He was doing a pretty good job with England until he lost the plot on some religious bulls*te or other......

He played a decent style of football and might consider taking the Irish job as Penance for his sins.......

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I wouldn't have a problem with Hoddle, he is tactically astute, has knowledge of the wider European game and I've heard good things about his development of players at his academy in Spain.

The fear I'd have about appointing someone like Kenny is the lack of experience. He's not managed in the upper echelons of European football and he's not really had a notable playing career. If we get to the Euros, which we have a reasonable chance of doing, or somehow get to the World Cup, Kenny has no experience of major tournament football management. By that I mean he has never played in a squad nor managed a squad for a month long tournament. All of our recent previous managers had this, O'Neil / Keane as player, Trap as a manager (possibly a player too), Staunton as player, Kerr as underage manager, MMC as a player, Jack as a player...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Would players playing in the premier league or championship have the belief in someone like Stephen Kenny who has not managed at that level and has also not played at that level .

Michael O Neill had played international football and his managerial success coming from Shamrock Rovers might be just one of those once offs .

From a Money point of View ....Sponsorship and Media profile aren't the FAI much more likely to go with some one with a higher media profile...........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I can't believe some of the suggestions over Stephen Kenny.

Glenn Hoddle?! Are you having a laugh?!

Let's look at some of Kennys underdog achievements.

Longford Town, took over at the age of 27. Took a small provincial team to Premier Division, took them to the FAI Cup final, and qualified for the UEFA Cup with them. TWENTY-SEVEN years of age.

Bohemians, took a struggling side away from relegation fears and reached the FAI Cup final in one season. He won the league with them the following year.

At Derry City, he turned them into league challengers from relegation candidates. They went on their ridiculous European run, reaching the First Round proper of the UEFA Cup under him, beating Gretna, Gothenburg and gaining a 0-0 draw with PSG, only being beaten in the second leg in Paris. He also won four league cups while there.

Dunfermline was a mixed bag. He took over a team who were being hammered week in, week out in the middle of their season. Still, he managed to get them to the Scottish Cup final, although they were relegated in the end. He had a crap second season, despite still reaching the Scottish Challenge Cup final.

He won the First Division in one attempt at Derry on his return.

His exploits at Dundalk are well recorded at this stage. From almost being relegated the season before he took over, he took them to second in the league followed by 3 league titles in a row, winning a League Cup and FAI Cup along the way. The European exploits are well enough documented without having to go into them.

Despite all this, he's still a young manager at only 45 years of age. He's won 16 trophies in his managerial career to date.

But, because he's not got top level experience of people like Glenn Hoddle...
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post

From a Money point of View ....Sponsorship and Media profile aren't the FAI much more likely to go with some one with a higher media profile...........
    Personally I think the FAI should look to a cheaper option than the money they are paying MON and RK whose value-for-money is questionable. If you look at the bigger picture, a local manager like Kenny picking the occasional local player, increasing the connection between domestic and international football (it’s happening anyway – the LOI underage leagues are there to reduce reliance on UK exports) would work for the FAI’s coffers in the longer term.

A few guys I speak to via WhatsApp think the likes of Steven Reid, Keith Andrews and Lee Carsley could be very credible candidates to have around someone like Kenny. Decent, hungry, cerebral guys with international playing experience and coaching qualifications.

Regardless of how the group finishes that’s what I’d like. A management team that will build a squad around the best of the current squad and the likes of Egan, Kelly, Rice, Doherty, Cunningham etc as part of the 23, not the 37. A management team that refuses to make excuses from day 1 about not having world superstars. A management team that appreciates that the international team is part of a bigger national game. I’m probably a bit naive but I think the FAI is looking this way now. Yes, they still neglect the LOI but at the same time the LOI is being favoured over the schoolboy cartels.

I think Trap left the public cold and MON has only warmed things up a little. The likes of Paul Rowan said from the start that he wasn't treating the job seriously enough. I saw Walford on the touchline last night in his suit, loafers and no socks and I thought WTF, why is he even there?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    The success of Michael O' Neill has been inspirational.....but is it a one off .

Was Brian Kerr given the same chance as a supposedly big name /profile .

I thought Kerr probably deserved another campaign but for whatever reasons he was not given it......

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Would players playing in the premier league or championship have the belief in someone like Stephen Kenny who has not managed at that level and has also not played at that level .
    I think that is a very salient point. I'm not sure Stephen Kenny would instill that much confidence in our players, he could come across as inexperienced. When the chips are down would he have the gravitas of a more well known manager.

The other aspect is with all the eligibility rules we are now in competition with other nations for players. Grealish and Keane have gone to England and Ampadu looks like he will go to Wales, if we have a high profile manager who is well known for developing players then that gives us an advantage, imagine if we got someone like Thomas Teuchel, Mira Luchescu or Andre Villas Boas, players would want to play under them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I think that is a very salient point. I'm not sure Stephen Kenny would instill that much confidence in our players, he could come across as inexperienced. When the chips are down would he have the gravitas of a more well known manager.

The other aspect is with all the eligibility rules we are now in competition with other nations for players. Grealish and Keane have gone to England and Ampadu looks like he will go to Wales, if we have a high profile manager who is well known for developing players then that gives us an advantage, imagine if we got someone like Thomas Teuchel, Mira Luchescu or Andre Villas Boas, players would want to play under them.
    I was thinking Chris Hughton....if he wanted it at this stage of his career.........Brendan Rogers.....if he wanted it at this stage of his career...

Obviously I'd like someone with an Irish connection . Will the Politically Correct Mob Put me in Prison........?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    If Denis doesn't front up on the salary side, then it will leave Fran and Irene with a smaller budget to work with and that will eliminate a lot of potential candidates. My own personal preference would be Kenny. He is a young Manager with a modern philosophy on how to play football and has proven he can be successful at stepping up to a higher level. I think the FAI would target Hughton but would he leave the Premier League for International Football.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The moment anything went wrong for Stephen Kenny, Ireland Manager, the press would eviscerate him for "inexperience", "not knowing the top leagues", "not commanding respect for players". The narrative writes itself there, and it would all end in tears, regrettably.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

24. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast