Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Who is your choice for the next senior men's international team manager

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allardyce, Sam

2 6.06%
  • Bilic, Slaven

0 0%
  • Bruce, Steve

0 0%
  • Carsley, Lee

1 3.03%
  • Clement, Paul

0 0%
  • Coleman, Chris

1 3.03%
  • Cook, Paul

2 6.06%
  • Goran-Eriksson, Sven

1 3.03%
  • Grayson, Simon

0 0%
  • Hughton, Chris

5 15.15%
  • Keane, Robbie

1 3.03%
  • Keane, Roy

1 3.03%
  • Kenny, Stephen

14 42.42%
  • Kerr, Brian

3 9.09%
  • Lennon, Neil

1 3.03%
  • McCarthy, Mick

7 21.21%
  • Moyes, David

0 0%
  • Queiroz, Carlos

2 6.06%
  • Redknapp, Harry

1 3.03%
  • Wenger, Arsene

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Ireland manager?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    After months of speculation, rumours, 24/7 airport watch, betting shutdowns, the mantle will simply be handed over to deputy Roy.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    If Denis doesn't front up on the salary side, then it will leave Fran and Irene with a smaller budget to work with and that will eliminate a lot of potential candidates. My own personal preference would be Kenny. He is a young Manager with a modern philosophy on how to play football and has proven he can be successful at stepping up to a higher level. I think the FAI would target Hughton but would he leave the Premier League for International Football.
    I'm not sure he'll be in the EPL for very long!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Our current, and previous, managers are probably paid more than any other manager we've had. Both qualified for tournaments.
    Our current manager wouldn't be qualifying for the next tournament!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    The success of Michael O' Neill has been inspirational.....but is it a one off .
    I don't think Michael O'Neill's achievements can be dismissed as "a once-off" in the sense he had outstanding success at Rovers. He finished second in the LOI with them in 2009, won it in both 2010 (Rovers' first title since 1994) and 2011 and qualified them for the 2011/12 Europa League group-stages. Rovers finished fourth the season after he left and didn't manage a top-three finish again until 2015.

O'Neill followed up his time at Rovers with phenomenal success for NI. He's dragged them out of the doldrums and, despite their modest and limited playing pool, brought them to the Euros last summer. He's consistently maintained that form and it now looks like they could be on their way to Russia next summer as well after another seriously impressive qualification campaign. He's clearly tactically-astute and his teams play with an evident game-plan as well as a bit of imagination.

In what sense could all that be described as "a once-off"?

Was Brian Kerr given the same chance as a supposedly big name /profile .

I thought Kerr probably deserved another campaign but for whatever reasons he was not given it......
    I concur. I thought Kerr was unjustly treated as well as we were competitive that campaign in what was a tough, evenly-matched group and we only just missed out in the final game. I think he was a victim of his lesser profile - the FAI and public would probably be prepared to be more patient with an established high-flyer - and weren't their also murmurs that many of the players didn't respect him or take his approach seriously (perhaps on account of his relatively humble footballing background in contrast to what many of them might have been used to in the EPL) or, at least, they weren't following his instructions in terms of watching video footage of opponents and doing their homework on tactics? I remember hearing/reading something like that once anyway...

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I think that is a very salient point. I'm not sure Stephen Kenny would instill that much confidence in our players, he could come across as inexperienced. When the chips are down would he have the gravitas of a more well known manager.
    A few players in and around the squad have already worked directly with him - McClean, Horgan, Ward, Boyle and Maguire, for example - and plenty of our other players have come through the LOI (which is different to how things were when, say, Kerr, who had an LOI background, was in charge), so I wouldn't see any issue for him with these players, at least. I'm sure they'd respect him and hold his evident achievements in high regard on account of their own backgrounds or experience of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    But would they trust a man with two first names? I sure wouldn't.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I was thinking Chris Hughton....if he wanted it at this stage of his career.........Brendan Rogers.....if he wanted it at this stage of his career...
    Rodgers would be a great appointment but I think he might feel he's on the verge of something special at Celtic such as winning a record number of domestic leagues or making waves in Europe (e.g. getting far in the Europa League), I don't know if we could prize him away from Parkhead.

I'm not a huge fan of Chris Hughton due to incidents between him and Irish fans away in Tel Aviv a number of years ago, but as a manager he would be a fair shout. He did well at Newcastle.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Maybe Garry Monk will get fired and we can hire him. Someone young-ish.
    Or a second go around with Steve Staunton? He's learned a lot since his first try insists himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Rodgers would be a great appointment but I think he might feel he's on the verge of something special at Celtic such as winning a record number of domestic leagues or making waves in Europe (e.g. getting far in the Europa League), I don't know if we could prize him away from Parkhead.

I'm not a huge fan of Chris Hughton due to incidents between him and Irish fans away in Tel Aviv a number of years ago, but as a manager he would be a fair shout. He did well at Newcastle.
    What happened?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I'm not a huge fan of Chris Hughton due to incidents between him and Irish fans away in Tel Aviv a number of years ago
    What's this? I never heard anything about an incident, and I was there and all.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Some of the younger players were watching the match next to the Irish fans and he got a bit tetchy (to put it mildly) about this interaction and moved them away - this would be well over a decade ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    this would be well over a decade ago.
    March 2005, it was Easter weekend. Jerusalem was jammed with crazy religious people, they ruined my trip to Jerusalem & the Dead Sea. I've been an atheist ever since.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Israel away has a memory of some irish fans complaining that Kerr was on the sidelines telling players not to advance up the field, when he was in fact telling them to use their heads and get up the field or something like that. There's nowt like fans.

We could do with an English manager who has a monster grudge against the English FA, like Charlton had, like Big Sam now, one who has something to prove on an international level and wreak some cold dish revenge at the same time. Big Sam would also tick all the FAI trendy life coach's boxes, he's have buckets of motivation, ambition and the skill sets to do a good job

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Dudu Awate (for those looking for pronunciation tips it rhymes with t**t) played in that game, but it was the match in Dublin where he really took the ****

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    We could do with an English manager who has a monster grudge against the English FA, like Charlton had, like Big Sam now, one who has something to prove on an international level and wreak some cold dish revenge at the same time. Big Sam would also tick all the FAI trendy life coach's boxes, he's have buckets of motivation, ambition and the skill sets to do a good job
    Or heaven help us, Harry Redknapp. Is there a direct flight from Bournemouth to Dublin. Being paid in euros would suit him as there would be no fx conversion costs paying it into the bank in Monaco.

19. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I don't think Michael O'Neill's achievements can be dismissed as "a once-off" in the sense he had outstanding success at Rovers.
    O'Neill was also a reasonably experienced footballer before he took up management. He played at a reasonable level in Scotland and England, got quite a few caps for Northern Ireland and at one stage was signing for Sturm Graz (at the time they were playing CL football with reasonably well known players like Polster and Vastic - the sort of level Shakthar Donetsk are now).

He played in the MLS too, which might not have the best level of talent, but is highly regarded from a sports science point of view (like all American sports) and he may have imparted some of this knowledge now managing Northern Ireland.

21. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Looks like it's going to be MORK again so this thread can be put to bed.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    But would they trust a man with two first names? I sure wouldn't.
    What about Keith Andrews there's a case for saying he has three first names (1 * Keith, 2 * Andrew(s) ). Matt Holland could impart the experience of a whole nation.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Worryingly Arry is now available

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    I wonder if Guus Hiddink would be interested?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast