Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Who is your choice for the next senior men's international team manager

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allardyce, Sam

2 6.06%
  • Bilic, Slaven

0 0%
  • Bruce, Steve

0 0%
  • Carsley, Lee

1 3.03%
  • Clement, Paul

0 0%
  • Coleman, Chris

1 3.03%
  • Cook, Paul

2 6.06%
  • Goran-Eriksson, Sven

1 3.03%
  • Grayson, Simon

0 0%
  • Hughton, Chris

5 15.15%
  • Keane, Robbie

1 3.03%
  • Keane, Roy

1 3.03%
  • Kenny, Stephen

14 42.42%
  • Kerr, Brian

3 9.09%
  • Lennon, Neil

1 3.03%
  • McCarthy, Mick

7 21.21%
  • Moyes, David

0 0%
  • Queiroz, Carlos

2 6.06%
  • Redknapp, Harry

1 3.03%
  • Wenger, Arsene

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Ireland manager?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    otto Hitzfeld is 68 ( younger than I thought) If he can speak English, I would take him on a 2 year. if he is arsed getting out of retirement. but M. ONeill should be the number one target

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    He's had very little to work with. He's relying on two failed SPL strikers this season, for instance.

One reservation I would harbour is that he may rue having a lesser team/side than his last tenure. Duff, Keane, Keane and Given don't have any comparatives in the present.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    ^Queiroz and Pellegrini are currently managing
    Indeed they are. But they could probably both be got if there was an interest there. We would have to wait until after the World Cup in the case of Queiroz but i think he is a very realistic option. He speaks English and should have some knowledge of the English leagues from his time with Man U. He has been in international management since '09, so it seems to suit him. A European nation with a decent chance of qualification for the Euros is probably a good opportunity for anyone in that situation, and given that he has had 2 sells in charge of Portugal he is probably unlikely to get the call from them.

The Big Mick option is very tempting though.

p.s. I copy and pasted your list onto the end of mine. I thought it might be handy to have everyone suggested as an option, likely or otherwise, in one place.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 12/01/2018 at 1:29 AM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He's had very little to work with. He's relying on two failed SPL strikers this season, for instance.

One reservation I would harbour is that he may rue having a lesser team/side than his last tenure. Duff, Keane, Keane and Given don't have any comparatives in the present.
    Might not be too much of a problem - remember he inherited an aging squad from Jack. Duff and Robbie Keane didn't break through for two years after he took over and AFAIR I think Given was a young long-shot who only made his debut in Mick's first game in charge because Alan Kelly was unavailable. Plus Roy was a bit of a double-edged sword during his tenure. And I think we actually have a pretty talented midfield with Brady, Hendrick, McCarthy, McClean and Arter, a fairly solid defence, a couple of good quality keepers as well as some young talent coming through that Mick might be well-placed to get the most out of - the likes of Rice, Cullen, Browne, Kelly, Horgan, Hogan, O'Dowda, Hourihane, Maguire and others should get an opportunity to step up before the next qualifiers start and by the time the next World Cup rolls around, some of the prospects that are doing very well at under-age level will hopefully have broken through.

Would also be nice to have the National Team go out and play to win, rather than play to avoid defeat with the hope of sneaking a winner

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    To be honest, I was a bit young during Mick's tenure to be offering any proper analysis of it and how another tenure may pan out. I can see why you're confident regarding the younger players. He's clearly shown a willingness at Ipswich to play young lads. Whether that is borne out of necessity is another thing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    An argument for and against the likelihood of McCarthy being offered the job could be the way thing stand at Ipswich. They've reverted under him after a good few seasons in the first half of his tenure, 16th last season, 12th currently. McCarthy might well want to get away and try something new having spent most of the last decade scrapping in the Championship or battling EPL relegation but, then again, has he really accomplished all that much to be considered next to other candidates?

To be fair to Mick he's worked wonders there since Marcus Evans stopped spending any cash at all for the last few years.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/ipsw...town-transfers

Looking like O'Neill is staying anyway, him and his team are going to the SWA tonight after all.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Lee Carsley and Steven Reid are names I'd like to see in the mix in some capacity
    Both very good choices. Of the two I'd like to see Carsley perhaps with Damien Duff or Brian Kerr as his back up to keep the link to the domestic game.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Both very good choices. Of the two I'd like to see... Brian Kerr as his back up to keep the link to the domestic game.
    Having once been the organ grinder, I am not sure he'd like to return to being the monkey.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'd like Enda McNulty to be part of the backroom staff. I think the number of times we threw away leads in the last campaign is a sign that the mental toughness of the squad could be improved, and he has a track record of helping Irish sportsmen and women with that in the past
    Jim McGuinness is actually the "third most-backed candidate" to replace O'Neill (if O'Neill leaves), according to the Irish Mirror: https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...nager-11845065

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Perhaps those type betting lists have a deliberately bizarre element, designed to separate money from the type of people who throw coins into a fountain.
    I see Gordon Strachan's name wasn't anywhere on the PP list. I don't he failed at Scotland, just didn't succeed and it must be said he had to work with a genetically compromised bunch of players.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    No greater endorsement than words of praise from managerial wizard Stephen Bradley.

I'd like to see him cut his teeth elsewhere before getting involved with Ireland tbh. Staunton is an example of how such a transition can go wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Staunton is an example of how such a transition can go wrong.
    Yes, we won't shake that lesson too easily. Keane seems to have a bit more about him that Staunton though I would hope. Mark Hughes & Gary Speed had little or no managerial experience when they took the Wales job and did okay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Eamon Sweeney making the case for Stephen Kenny - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37491988.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    I have serious doubts about Kenny. I find it hard to imagine that premier league players wouldn't have preconceived ideas about a league of Ireland manager. TBH I think it would go wrong very quickly because he would struggle to establish his authority.

I know people will point to the success Michael O'Neill has had with the north but he has a great career and got 30 odd caps. I think it's different because he was looked upon as an equal by the playing shuad.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Kerr had a similar problem. The players he had worked with at youth level obviously looked up to him, but I was never sure how much respect he got from players who didn't know him

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Interesting one. Gary Breen was on OTB during the week and said that he doesn't think it matters a bit. He said once the manager comes in and impresses from the off then there won't be any issue with the players. That was his virs anyway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Interesting one. Gary Breen was on OTB during the week and said that he doesn't think it matters a bit. He said once the manager comes in and impresses from the off then there won't be any issue with the players. That was his virs anyway.
    If he has the right stuff he can get their respect. My concern is more straight forward. If he is the bees knees what in the name of Jesus is he doing in the LOI. Its not like he blow them away in Scotland either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    If he has the right stuff he can get their respect. My concern is more straight forward. If he is the bees knees what in the name of Jesus is he doing in the LOI. Its not like he blow them away in Scotland either
    The league has a lot to be proud of and we need to celebrate the success stories we have and not compare ourselves to our neighbours. It’s so insecure. The league is the only viable future for the success of our national team whether most care to admit it or not.

Kenny in Scotland was a long time ago. It’s fair to assume he’s learnt and grown a lot since then.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I'd love to see Kenny get the Ireland job i might even start going to watch them again as ive given up at this stage as we are so dreadful to watch.
    At the end of the day how much worse could the results be and at least we might try to play a bit of football

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast