Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Who is your choice for the next senior men's international team manager

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allardyce, Sam

2 6.06%
  • Bilic, Slaven

0 0%
  • Bruce, Steve

0 0%
  • Carsley, Lee

1 3.03%
  • Clement, Paul

0 0%
  • Coleman, Chris

1 3.03%
  • Cook, Paul

2 6.06%
  • Goran-Eriksson, Sven

1 3.03%
  • Grayson, Simon

0 0%
  • Hughton, Chris

5 15.15%
  • Keane, Robbie

1 3.03%
  • Keane, Roy

1 3.03%
  • Kenny, Stephen

14 42.42%
  • Kerr, Brian

3 9.09%
  • Lennon, Neil

1 3.03%
  • McCarthy, Mick

7 21.21%
  • Moyes, David

0 0%
  • Queiroz, Carlos

2 6.06%
  • Redknapp, Harry

1 3.03%
  • Wenger, Arsene

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Ireland manager?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    looks like somebody, said something mean to Terry and Mick wasn't having it

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I cannot understand, and maybe I'm just out of the loop when it comes to discussing football, but I cannot understand how we have posters discount Stephen Kenny and then at the same time say they'd take Michael O'neill if he was available. For me that just does not compute.
    Michael O'Neill has shown he can get the most out of a small pool of limited players by playing organised football...at international level. Kenny hasn't done that.

As I said yesterday, I think the previous accomplishments a manager brings with them to a position help to earn them respect, and buy them time when things aren't going their way. The greater the previous accomplishments, (and the level of those accomplishments) the more the respect, and the longer the players will have faith that the manager has what it takes to sort things out, before they finally conclude that he has actually lost the plot.

Rightly or wrongly, after a string of bad performances and results, I don't think the players would have all that much respect for or faith in Kenny, given the level they are playing at and the level he has managed at.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    He was being polite. I watched that clip and he was nothing but a Mick McCarthy cheerleader.
    That's nonsense, imho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    When is the Draw for the Euro’s ? I heard Brian Kerr make the good point that the FAI would like to have a Name / Face for the Draw . It may seem like a small thing but its a little embarrassing not to have a manager to do the necessary ; Media stuff ; after the Draw . Kerr had a point on this .
    from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...ualifying#Draw
    The qualifying group stage draw will be held on 2 December 2018, 12:00 CET (11:00 local time) at the Convention Centre Dublin in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    "...Just the two of us...."
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    He was being polite. I watched that clip and he was nothing but a Mick McCarthy cheerleader.
    can you post the clip? Off the ball usually make everything available online.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ATMkLNl0Q

Kilbane repeatedly repeats the talking point that Kenny is a nobody, and Mick is inspiring. Like a broken record.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    That's nonsense, imho
    I felt he was clearly stating (in a nice way) , that a section of the players didnt respect Kerr on his arrival and the same would happen with Kenny.
    Kilbane actually said (all be it in his opinion) the following players wont have a clue who Kenny is : Arter, O'Dowda, Brady, Hendricks

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Kilbane also said that Kerr improved him as a player. Which is true. Under Mick it was just stick Killer out on the wing. Kerr developed him into Zinedine. Kilbane helped shut down the French midfield in Paris.

And then Kilbane goes and craps on Kerr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I felt he was clearly stating (in a nice way) , that a section of the players didnt respect Kerr on his arrival and the same would happen with Kenny.
    Kilbane actually said (all be it in his opinion) the following players wont have a clue who Kenny is : Arter, O'Dowda, Brady, Hendricks
    Nonsense though that none of the players will know who Kenny is.

Dundalks run in Europe gained huge attention across the water. To suggest that Irish born and reared players would have never heard of him either is total nonsense.

The likes of Jeff Hendrick and Robbie Brady were both at St Kevins Boys when Kenny was already a League of Ireland winning and FAI Cup winning manager, and with European experience behind him at Longford, Bohs and Derry. Also had his ill-fated spell at Dunfermline behind him before either of them moved to England.

Often a stick held up to beat Kenny with, but easy to forget, his spell in Scotland was now 12 years ago, when he was still in his mid-30's.

At 47 years of age, he has 20 years of a managerial career behind him.

He's masterminded Dundalks rags to riches story, and is the most suitable candidate for this job in my opinion. He's a risk free option too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I cannot understand, and maybe I'm just out of the loop when it comes to discussing football, but I cannot understand how we have posters discount Stephen Kenny and then at the same time say they'd take Michael O'neill if he was available. For me that just does not compute.

And when he took over the North, he certainly had a couple of well-established PL players: off the top of my head, Aaron , Steven Davis, Jonny Evans. Even Kyle Lafferty you'd have in the big-time Charlie category.
    Maybe the difference is that the English born players the North had in the squad were of a lower calibre, and the stars were 6 county boys, and more likely to support one of their own? But we don't really have that excuse. We have a good majority of LOI lads in the squad.
    It's about the authority he would command among the players because there is a gaping hole in his experience. Kerr had the same basic problem. So did Stan.

That's not to say that any of the players would ever behave disrespectfully towards him, but it's not going to work if the players doubt the managers knows what he's on about. Even if only subconsciously.

With Stan the issue was that he had no managerial experience. He played his last game on New Years Eve 2005 and was managing a national football team less than 3 weeks later. He had no track record in management at all

Kerr had coaching experience coming out his ears but he had no experience of top level football. He had never worked outside Ireland, either as a player or a coach.

And exactly the same is true of Kenny. Never played outside Ireland. His one go in management outside of Ireland was a disaster. Back with his tail between his legs with a year.

Michael O'Neill had similar levels of success in management as Kenny when he took the NI job, but he had played at a elite level before that. He had 31 international caps.

If Jeff Kenna or Mark Kennedy were enjoying the sort of success Stephen Kenny is as a league of Ireland manager it would probably be a different story.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    If a player shows no respect, you don't pick them next time. Simple. Anyone who comes in as manager will have to lay down the law straight away. Doesn't matter if he has 50 years top level experience or none.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts

Kilbane repeatedly repeats the talking point that Kenny is a nobody, and Mick is inspiring. Like a broken record.
    He is right in some ways. Re the instant respect issue, who would likely get Declan Rice on board, Mick McCarthy or Stephen Kenny?
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Nonsense though that none of the players will know who Kenny is.

Dundalks run in Europe gained huge attention across the water. To suggest that Irish born and reared players would have never heard of him either is total nonsense.

The likes of Jeff Hendrick and Robbie Brady were both at St Kevins Boys when Kenny was already a League of Ireland winning and FAI Cup winning manager, and with European experience behind him at Longford, Bohs and Derry. Also had his ill-fated spell at Dunfermline behind him before either of them moved to England.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that Nigel, genuinely I wouldn't. LOI wouldn't be on the radar of established internationals in their mid-late 20's now, who left here in their mid-teens.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Was thinking there. If Ipswich are relegated from the Championship this season (as looks likely) Kenny could do a lot worse than asking Mick to put a word in for him to take the job in League 1 next season. He'd have a great chance of helping a good club bounce back and start proving himself with a view to getting the job next time around.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    If a player shows no respect, you don't pick them next time. Simple. Anyone who comes in as manager will have to lay down the law straight away. Doesn't matter if he has 50 years top level experience or none.
    I don't think we're talking petulant teenager and weak teacher scenario here. Of course there'll be respect, but what KK was saying is that Mick will bring an aura with him that Kenny may have to earn rather than immediately deliver.

I said above that the right appointment is a combination of it being the right man for the right team at the right time. I think Mick is probably all 3. If we'd sacked MON a year ago Kenny would have been all 3 then. Not only do we need a change but we need a quick sugar hit too because we are now straight into qualifying and that's why I am favouring Mick, albeit with relatively low conviction.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Kilbane also said that Kerr improved him as a player. Which is true. Under Mick it was just stick Killer out on the wing. Kerr developed him into Zinedine. Kilbane helped shut down the French midfield in Paris.

And then Kilbane goes and craps on Kerr.
    Pretty sure Kilbane had other managers than Kerr at that time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    it's done already. Mick.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...d-ireland-job/

welcome back. I hope it works out.
    Last edited by zero; 22/11/2018 at 3:28 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    As long as your not Matt Doherty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

He only repeatedly repeats the (fairly simple and completely logical) point because Murphy keeps forcefully opposing it.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 22/11/2018 at 4:16 PM.

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast