Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Who is your choice for the next senior men's international team manager

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allardyce, Sam

2 6.06%
  • Bilic, Slaven

0 0%
  • Bruce, Steve

0 0%
  • Carsley, Lee

1 3.03%
  • Clement, Paul

0 0%
  • Coleman, Chris

1 3.03%
  • Cook, Paul

2 6.06%
  • Goran-Eriksson, Sven

1 3.03%
  • Grayson, Simon

0 0%
  • Hughton, Chris

5 15.15%
  • Keane, Robbie

1 3.03%
  • Keane, Roy

1 3.03%
  • Kenny, Stephen

14 42.42%
  • Kerr, Brian

3 9.09%
  • Lennon, Neil

1 3.03%
  • McCarthy, Mick

7 21.21%
  • Moyes, David

0 0%
  • Queiroz, Carlos

2 6.06%
  • Redknapp, Harry

1 3.03%
  • Wenger, Arsene

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Ireland manager?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I like Kenny too much for him to take this job, for the chalice may be poisoned. Also the league would lose out and the league's finest ever team would surely lose some momentum.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I like Kenny too much for him to take this job, for the chalice may be poisoned. Also the league would lose out and the league's finest ever team would surely lose some momentum.
    Do you prefer Kenny, the LOI or your country? because I believe our national team comes first not Stephen Kenny's feelings or his career.

but I do agree over all, I wouldn't want him as Irish Manager either.

We have time on our side , we should step back for a bit and not rush an appointment.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Mick McCarthy is 4/6. The next up is Allardici at 8/1 and Stephen Kenny at 10/1.

Kenny was 6/5 went I just looked elsewhere 8/11, McCarty 2-1 and 5/2 now. other sites may have different prices.

Allardyce much the same, 10-1

But early days yet some may not want even the job.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    People wonder if Kenny can step up to international level. What does that even mean? O'Neill and Trap moaned all the time about not having quality players. Perhaps they shouldn't have gotten into international management themselves.

Kenny well able to work with with this level of players.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    Stephen Kenny's odds have shortened with most bookies, he's gone to joint favourite with Mick on Paddy Power, so the public money is on SK. Interestingly, or maybe worryingly, Sven Goran-Eriksson has gone from 66/1 outsider to 3rd favourite at 6/1 with PP! He would bring sexy back, but maybe not sexy football...
    Sven is not even in the running on Ladbrokes and will hill, which is interesting in it self perhaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    People wonder if Kenny can step up to international level. What does that even mean? O'Neill and Trap moaned all the time about not having quality players. Perhaps they shouldn't have gotten into international management themselves.

Kenny well able to work with with this level of players.
    I do not understand this clamour for Stephen Kenny. Pat Fenlon for instance has a very similar record to him and I do not hear anyone clamouring for him. So what is so special about Kenny?
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    I do not understand this clamour for Stephen Kenny. Pat Fenlon for instance has a very similar record to him and I do not hear anyone clamouring for him. So what is so special about Kenny?
    Nothing, he's a mediocre manager and shouldn't be given the job. There is nothing to see here Mr. Delaney...
    Mon the Town!

9. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    This is the typical Irish problem, too short cited.
    Not really. I am far from short sighted and I did make the point that Michael O'Neill did it. I have seen LoI managers do the job and not succeed (e.g. Rasher T and Brian Kerr). I said international football is a big step up from managing Dundalk and it is. Would he command the respect of the players playing in the EPL ? Possibly. Possibly not but it's not short sighted to suggest that it might not work. Are LoI managers so sacrosanct that we dare not suggest, like any other manager, that they might possibly not succeed ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts

Football fans are no different to people in general, whoever is winning currently is the Public choice.
    Fenlon may have won a lot but not recently.
    If kenny doesnt win anything for a few years whoever is winning at that point will be the Public choice for the job if it is vacant again.

13. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Fenlon was a chequebook manager in my opinion. Kenny achieved more than Fenlon with less money (originally), which to my mind means he must be better in areas more relevant to international management (e.g. motivation, tactics, etc)

Can't wave the chequebook at international level.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Sven is not even in the running on Ladbrokes and will hill, which is interesting in it self perhaps?
    Sven's agent knows how easy it is to move these markets with very little money so he's stuck €500 on him because it's a cheap way to get him mentioned in the papers and remind the world that he's still alive.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Leaning towards Mick McCarthy as we need a quick fix, he knows the setup and is available. Short-term contract, extension qualification dependent perhaps?
    The U21 position should be the one with a longer-term perspective at this time. Ideally an ambitious ex-player looking to earn his dues and eventually progress to the senior job. Think that's what the U21 job should be - a stepping stone for the senior job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    McCarthy is another dinosaur. Try something new. Big Sam and his long ball? No thanks.

I’m not bothered if these so called PL/Championship stars won’t respect a LOI manager. It’s not as if they are pulling up trees themselves. Last few performances have been gutless.

We want a coach not a man motivator. I’m intrigued to see if a coach can turn these plodders into contenders.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Did you see the football played by both comparable teams? Also, no offence to Pat, I liked him, but he collected a savage group of the best players in the league at both his successful Shels and then Bohs teams. Not quite like for like with Kenny.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    No reason a quick fix for the first team can't be accompanied with structural reform and a plan for the future around that. Especially with the U21 job also vacant.

The U21 job manager should be an opportunity for someone to learn about management, the demands of international management and the structure of the FAI, with a view to being next in line the next time the big job comes up. It should go to someone intelligent, charismatic and who will instantly have the respect of fans and players alike.

That job should be offered to Damian Duff. And it should be understood that he gets the senior job next time (assuming it doesn't come up again inside 2 years)

Is anyone able to speak with any knowledge about what Ruud Dokter has done or if appointing him has been worthwhile?
    I saw a tweet earlier today saying from U15-U19 the number of Irish resident kids has increased markedly in recent seasons. He was interviewed on a recent Greatest League in the World podcast,. Really worth a listen so you can make your own mind up. Results have been good among the underage squads too. From the podcast I felt he was either very good or a very good spoofer. I actually think it's the former. There are many problems at the FAI, but Ruud Dokter isn't one of them in my opinion.

I'm not convinced by Duff yet but someone from that era should be doing the U21s and be groomed for the senior job, definitely.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think the Europa League run and the manner of it made a big impression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'd like to see us have the new senior international management team regularly taking a squad for something like B international match but using only domestic based players against countries with leagues of a similar standard (Hungary, Finland, Bosnia etc).

It would be quite straight forward to organise as they wouldn't need to be played on FIFA international dates. Great platform for the players involved and a good means of letting the national team coaches get an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of League of Ireland players.
    Unfortuantely, those leagues are not of a similar standard to ours, they're superior.
    But I agree with the premise of your point. Every January, Sweden and Finland take part in an island tournament or a pacific tournament for domestic players as far as I know. Such a project should be considered.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Think Mick or Allardyce will get it because of the Euros being in Dublin and the FAI wont want to take a chance on someone who isnt experienced. Think Id actually be ok with either in the short term, and I cant believe I am even saying that. I have really disliked both over the years but they do get results.

My choice would probably be Neil Lennon or Brendan Rogers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think the Europa League run and the manner of it made a big impression.
    I personally don't think there is any chance of Kenny getting the job (don't care about the bookies) especially due to the fact that we have to qualify for Euro 2020 in Delaney's eyes. I can definitely see the FAI going for a manager with international experience.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 21/11/2018 at 5:16 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    So, who do you want TAP?

Actually, a poll might be intersting, Tets? People's preferred choice. Maybe use Walsall's list and whoever else has been mentioned by now?

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast