Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: League fixtures 1st Sept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The problem cork have is that you can't replace Maguire unless you get lucky and bring a guy in who suddenly hits form. There are no top notch strikers in loi and no loi club (maybe dundalk )can afford to bring in from abroad a proven goalscorer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The point made by oriel is spot on, I would put towell and Maguire above the others for Most influence closely followed by GOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I have no doubt Cork will fall over the line. The gap is too great.

It is such a strange season. A team that was completely dominant and built up a massive lead now looks very average.

In the LOI, we are used to teams being unrecognisable from one season to the next. But within the same season???
    I've stayed away from all forums this weekend, twitter etc. Such a horrible performance Friday. I wanted to go home at half time. Its one thing not scoring goals, creating fewer/less quality chances. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is allowing Rovers to bully us, or passing the ball out of play. We were appallingly bad on Friday. Easily our worst performance of the season. Great crowd, good goal from Gearoid... thats the end of the highlights. I've purged most of the night from my memory already. If we were to play Dundalk anytime soon we will be hammered. Not sure what has gone wrong. It can't just be Seani, as good as he was. Maybe the players think its wrapped up and mentally have shut off, maybe confidence is low. We need to copon soon if we're going to do anything in the cup.
    I've no fear of losing the title, we would need to lose virtually every game and we're not Drogheda, but its may lose a bit of the gloss with this sort of performance, though I'll still celebrate it when it comes as its been so long.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Maybe the players think its wrapped up and mentally have shut off
    It's not all that comparable, but the same thing happened to Limerick last season...once it became clear that the title was ours, we really slowed down and produced some poor performances, and particularly after we'd officially won it, we produced some awful performances.

The difference was that even then, our squad was so much better that we still won almost all the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    I've stayed away from all forums this weekend, twitter etc. Such a horrible performance Friday. I wanted to go home at half time. Its one thing not scoring goals, creating fewer/less quality chances. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is allowing Rovers to bully us, or passing the ball out of play. We were appallingly bad on Friday. Easily our worst performance of the season. Great crowd, good goal from Gearoid... thats the end of the highlights. I've purged most of the night from my memory already. If we were to play Dundalk anytime soon we will be hammered. Not sure what has gone wrong. It can't just be Seani, as good as he was. Maybe the players think its wrapped up and mentally have shut off, maybe confidence is low. We need to copon soon if we're going to do anything in the cup.
    I've no fear of losing the title, we would need to lose virtually every game and we're not Drogheda, but its may lose a bit of the gloss with this sort of performance, though I'll still celebrate it when it comes as its been so long.

Actually I think the cork boys and management included have it in their head that they want to win it against Dundalk in TC and humiliate them in some way.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Actually I think the cork boys and management included have it in their head that they want to win it against Dundalk in TC and humiliate them in some way.
    As long as we win up in Limerick the start of that weekend. But the way dundalk are going at the moment, compared to us, it would take quite a performance to beat ye that night. Players won't need any motivation at home in front of what I'd hope would be a sold out crowd

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Harps were even worse than last weeks cup performance. You know when you play backs against forwards into 1 goal and the backs can't score? That was the 2nd half here yet they looked comfortable and even managed to score a 2nd goal without having a shot as Morrissey walked the ball into the net without anyone going anywhere near him.. comical.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Am looking forward to seeing the Morrissey goal as from the away end it was just bewildering. The defence just seemed to melt and leave him there on his own with an open goal.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    As long as we win up in Limerick the start of that weekend. But the way dundalk are going at the moment, compared to us, it would take quite a performance to beat ye that night. Players won't need any motivation at home in front of what I'd hope would be a sold out crowd
    Unless I am mistaken a Cork win against Limerick would mean a draw against Dundalk (assuming it is the next game) would win the title on the night.

In the unlikely event that Cork fail to beat Limerick then only a win against Dundalk would do the trick.

Either way it makes for an absorbing occasion with Dundalk determined to spoil the party - and RTE delighted to have a TV climax at last

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    On current form rte will be at the next match as well. At this rate cork will be on tv more than man u

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Am looking forward to seeing the Morrissey goal as from the away end it was just bewildering. The defence just seemed to melt and leave him there on his own with an open goal.
    Keeper called for it, defenders left it, keeper hesitated, Morrissey nipped to nick it off his fingertips.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Unless I am mistaken a Cork win against Limerick would mean a draw against Dundalk (assuming it is the next game) would win the title on the night.
    It would, but if this "a draw will do" creeps into the players' minds, they won't get that draw.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    tbh with Cork City would they be better off giving up on the FAI Cup and making sure they wrap up the league with a week to spare? sad to see the decline after SM and KOC leaving Cork.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I've stayed away from all forums this weekend, twitter etc. Such a horrible performance Friday. I wanted to go home at half time. Its one thing not scoring goals, creating fewer/less quality chances. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is allowing Rovers to bully us, or passing the ball out of play. We were appallingly bad on Friday. Easily our worst performance of the season.
    Pah. I believe that's what's commonly called first world problems.

Having seen the highlights from Dundalk I wouldn't have any complaints about the penalty. The performance in the second half looked dreadful. We have to do much, much better if we want to stay up.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

In the unlikely event that Cork fail to beat Limerick then only a win against Dundalk would do the trick.
    I wouldn't be so sure we will beat Limerick. If we don't we are in deep s#### and could possibly blow this league. Btw it's nice to see a Dundalk fan giving reasoned, non-controversial opinions on Cork city and not the childish sniping we see on FaceBook etc. Fair play to you.
    I hope we have it won before the game against yerselves is played because ye would destroy us on current form. I don't know how I will feel when we finally win it to be honest. It will be a bit of an anti-climax I'd say because of the way we have fallen away. I feel a bit guilty saying that as there are loads of supporters of other clubs that would love to see their club win the league (and wouldn't care how they did it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure we will beat Limerick. If we don't we are in deep s#### and could possibly blow this league.
    Drogheda are in deep ****, Cork are coasting to a league title.
    I think you're being hysterical. Cork will win league, you'll be grand.

To illustrate, let's assume that Dundalk win all their remaining games, finishing on 74 points. Let's assume their goal difference is astronomical.
    Cork, currently on 70 points, will need five points to win the league.
    There are home games to Derry and Bray, away games to Limerick, Bohs and Pat's. I'd single out Bray on the last day of the season as a certain win.
    It is inconceivable that Cork will fail to pick up five points from those games.

Now, if ye could just get the thing settled before we come to visit some Tuesday night in October, that'd be swell.

17. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234