Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Hogan (F Birmingham b.1992)

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    to be fair... i took your assumptions, countered with a couple of assumptions of my own which resulted in the above response that is laden with assumptions

We might score plenty, we might not. A fair summary.
    Well this is true!

I guess my assumption is let's not assume and let's instead assume that Hogan can play a bit of ball and assume that the more options we have the better, assuming Hogan turns out to be an option at all.

Sound fair?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Goalscoring has obviously been a problem for us for some time and Hogan probably deserves a call-up on merit, if he can continue his recent form up until the next round of fixtures.

The same can be said for Keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Experience counts in international football. Let the likes of Parrott do his developing at club level IMO. I'd like to see Hogan further, and I prefer him to Collins for example for mobility reasons. I'm not suggesting we start him necessarily but he's good squad option.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Experience counts in international football. Let the likes of Parrott do his developing at club level IMO. I'd like to see Hogan further, and I prefer him to Collins for example for mobility reasons. I'm not suggesting we start him necessarily but he's good squad option.
    If its either Collins or Hogan Id go with Hogan but wouldnt care if Hogan ever played for us again either. Hes a very average player whos on a decent streak right now but weve seen him plenty where he was on bad streaks too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well this is true!

I guess my assumption is let's not assume and let's instead assume that Hogan can play a bit of ball and assume that the more options we have the better, assuming Hogan turns out to be an option at all.

Sound fair?
    Okie doke. We'll leave it there, so.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    If its either Collins or Hogan Id go with Hogan but wouldnt care if Hogan ever played for us again either. Hes a very average player whos on a decent streak right now but weve seen him plenty where he was on bad streaks too.
    I don't know - looking over his career stats, I think he has a reasonable record for the most part, apart from the ill-fated Villa move and, maybe his first full season at Birmingham - OK, that is four seasons, but he seems to be settled at Birmingham now and looks capable of multiple double-figure seasons going forward. He scored 17 in 33 league games when he was 21 for Rochdale, before his move to Brentford, where he immediately lost nearly two seasons to injury, coming back at the end of 15/16 to score 7 in 7 and carrying that form forward to 16/17 scoring 14 in 25. And then came the Villa move. But just when it appeared his career might drift, he got himself back on track in 19/20, scoring 10 in 30 in two loan spells, which included 3 at Stoke, playing mostly garbage minutes

Even for us, while at first glance he hasn't scored in eight caps, he's only been on the pitch for fewer minutes than three games' worth, so I'd be happy to give him another shot to be one of our stopgap forwards for the next campaign or two

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think we're probably all guessing a bit because Kenny knows exactly what he wants from players and doesn't seem to rate Hogan too highly, but it seems like Hogan is probably competing with Collins and maybe Long for being the guy who comes off the bench when you're throwing the kitchen sink.

What I think links all the players named, Robinson, Idah, Connolly, Parrott, etc, is they all get involved in every aspect of play from build-up forwards, which seems to be integral to what Kenny wants/needs in his team. I'd be surprised to see Hogan ever start just like I'd be surprised to see Collins start a big game going forward.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think we're probably all guessing a bit because Kenny knows exactly what he wants from players and doesn't seem to rate Hogan too highly, but it seems like Hogan is probably competing with Collins and maybe Long for being the guy who comes off the bench when you're throwing the kitchen sink.

What I think links all the players named, Robinson, Idah, Connolly, Parrott, etc, is they all get involved in every aspect of play from build-up forwards, which seems to be integral to what Kenny wants/needs in his team. I'd be surprised to see Hogan ever start just like I'd be surprised to see Collins start a big game going forward.
    Why do you pollute your good sensible post with the infelicitous but trendy "going forward" add on?

10. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Why do you pollute your good sensible post with the infelicitous but trendy "going forward" add on?
    A good point well made, but I actually meant it in its literal sense for once! I can't remember Hogan starting a game for Kenny but I wasn't sure so I stuck it in as a failsafe.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Just scored the second against derby. Poor defending but decent finish to the corner across goal.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Cost Birmingham the points with two very poor misses. His goal was a bit of a miscue but obviously went where it needed to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    The goal came off his shin?? And as note by SkStu, two poor misses. If he has improved since his last inclusion in the squad, it wasn't evident yesterday. But he's on a goal scoring run so call him up.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    The goal came off his shin?? And as note by SkStu, two poor misses. If he has improved since his last inclusion in the squad, it wasn't evident yesterday. But he's on a goal scoring run so call him up.
    Perhaps just call up the Lucky Shin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Perhaps just call up the Lucky Shin.
    Isn't that Ronnie Whelan?

Funny though that Idah's recent lucky goal was a well-intentioned heavy touch to fool the defence, and his bad one-on-one miss was good goalkeeping.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts

Funny though that Idah's recent lucky goal was a well-intentioned heavy touch to fool the defence, and his bad one-on-one miss was good goalkeeping.
    Sometimes ( OK, Only occasionally ) It is better to be lucky than good ~ But there is nothing wrong with good luck at any time ( well accept for my enemies )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

I think most people in that thread said it was just a heavy touch though?

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Well here's Stutts -

For the goal, the heavy first touch made it. A softer touch and he'd have had to decelerate and he'd have been tackled from behind.
    Or jbyrne -

or maybe his first touch is what makes the goal by tempting the goal keeper off his line so idah can poke it past him.
    I thought it was worth contrasting those views with ifk's comment here ("The goal came off his shin?? And as note by SkStu, two poor misses. If he has improved since his last inclusion in the squad, it wasn't evident yesterday.") on what sounds a similar kind of goal from Hogan (I haven't seen it). Those who allow that Hogan maybe deserves a call-up generally reckon it should be at the expense of Collins, not Idah. I think it's slightly unfair on Hogan.

SkStu is commendably consistent across both threads in fairness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Wasn't really a consensus though was it? Like one person said Hogan shinned it versus loads who didn't even notice and then a couple of people who took a charitable view of Idah's first touch again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It definitely wasn't intentional, Hogan's I mean he did look like he wanted to go across goal but it came off the side of his upper lower leg.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    where do i say it was an intentional touch?
    idah made the best of what happened to the ball after he touched it. thats it

you are just determined to trample on any sort of positivity around here. idahs luck with the goal, portugal didnt care, serbia took their foot off the peddle etc etc etc etc. i bet if i go back a bit further to our wins over germany, wales and italy i will find no shortage of similar party pooping

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast