Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Hogan (F Birmingham b.1992)

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Hard to know. That run with Brentford made us think we had (or were going to have!) a PL player on our hands and it hasn't worked out that way. Severe inconsistency makes me think he won't ever push a division up, similar to players like Jordan Rhodes and Ross McCormack, forever Championship. Can he do it for Ireland then? He hasn't shown much and I would rather McGoldrick, Maguire and Curtis now. I didn't mention Afolabi, Obafemi and Idah there.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Don’t think he will amount to much from an international perspective, hopefully, our promising young strikers will come through soon. If sheff United go up, they will need to invest in one or two strikers, Hogan will unlikely see much prem action
    I wouldn't give up on him totally. He scored goals in a brentford's system where he played up front by himself but brentford played attractive link up type football through midfield with not alot of going back to front early. To be fair if we continue to play more through midfield like we did against Georgia that should suit him. At 27 he hopefully gives us 4 or 5 years as an option

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Good goal. Seems to have had a good bit of football since the March internationals. Wonder wood sheff utd want to keep him for premier league?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    He's definitely playing for his PL future. You'd wonder will their recruitment policy change now if they get promoted. Their squad has no PL experience and is hardly made up of Championship stars but even looking at how good Egan, McGoldrick and Stevens have been makes you think the manager can get something more out of his players.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He's definitely playing for his PL future. You'd wonder will their recruitment policy change now if they get promoted. Their squad has no PL experience and is hardly made up of Championship stars but even looking at how good Egan, McGoldrick and Stevens have been makes you think the manager can get something more out of his players.
    Yeah realistically wood likely be better for us if he got championship move and played 40 odd games and got back amongst the goals hard to see him getting much premier league game time

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I didn't realise that confirmed their promotion. Well done all. John Egan is one who could do with PL football to prove himself worthy of a spot in our team. Stevens and McGoldrick have both broken into the starting line-up on current form. Egan needs to position himself above Keogh and Clark and being a PL regular will be the tonic for that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Good to see Hogan score... looked like a player trying hard to return to the form that made him such an exciting prospect, but isn't quite there yet. Still... did pretty well so there's still a possibility that he could be a factor for us over the next few years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Was hoping Jack O’Connell might declare for us and found this on wikipedia:

O'Connell does not consider himself British. Instead, he identifies strongly with his Derby upbringing and Irish heritage.[3][5]

Unfortunately, that’s the actor Jack O’Connell. The other lad has underage England caps
    Last edited by Fixer82; 28/04/2019 at 2:00 PM.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post

O'Connell does not consider himself British. Instead, he identifies strongly with his Derby upbringing and Irish heritage.[3][5]

Unfortunately, that’s the actor Jack O’Connell. The other lad has underage England caps
    O'Connell was approached. He was interested but he doesn't qualify

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts

As an aside, I met Jack the actor in my local in Kerry. He stays in Kerry a lot because his dad was a Kerryman and his mate Barry Keoghan lives there. As an aside.

Don't think he plays much football though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

I was reeled in there for a second.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    If he can do a bit of method acting and convince as a goal machine, I'd call him up. Couldn't be any worse than Sean Bean or John Lynch!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Could be a good move for him. Hogan has really not impressed me in the time I've seen him play in green but I think there's a lot more to offer if he can find his form. A reunion with Warburton probably the best chance of that.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Gone to Stoke on loan for the season. Not the worst move, probably wasn't gonna play much for Villa. Main competition is from Volkes and Afobe who are both good championship players but neither of whom score a lot of goals

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Gone to Stoke on loan for the season. Not the worst move, probably wasn't gonna play much for Villa. Main competition is from Volkes and Afobe who are both good championship players but neither of whom score a lot of goals
    Important move for him considering the way his career has gone since he left Brentford .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Seems to have struggled of late, but got the winner against Swansea today. As Mick seems to rate him, his form is possibly more important in the short term than Aaron Connolly's: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49861215

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Things have gone steadily downhill for Hogan in the last year. Out on loan at Stoke but unwanted by Michael O'Neill. However Villa are refusing to cut the loan short as they don't want him back. So Stoke are trying to sub-loan him (apparently that is a thing) down the divisions. Talk of interest from Hibernian for a sub-loan until the summer but wages might be a sticking point.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Things have gone steadily downhill for Hogan in the last year. Out on loan at Stoke but unwanted by Michael O'Neill. However Villa are refusing to cut the loan short as they don't want him back. So Stoke are trying to sub-loan him (apparently that is a thing) down the divisions. Talk of interest from Hibernian for a sub-loan until the summer but wages might be a sticking point.
    I just don't understand why Hogan has become so toxic - I understand he hasn't followed through on the promise he showed during that run at Brentford he had a few years back, but he does still seem capable of grabbing a few goals. Even at Stoke he's notched up 3 goals in 13 league appearances, most of which were substitute appearances - in terms of minutes played he's scored 3 in under 5 games, which is surely perfectly reasonable for a loanee. Meanwhile, Lee Gregory has a whopping 4 goals in 25 league appearances, which in terms of minutes played is 4 in over 17

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Looks like the sub-loan is going to be to Villa's City rivals, Birmingham.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast