Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Connolly F Hull b.2000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Let’s put this into context. He’s an extremely talented player who is adapting to the rigours of top flight football in a side that is fighting for their PL survival.

I can only say what I have seen - his all round performances have been pretty impressive for a kid in that context. I’m sure I saw all weekend games he played right up to Christmas and he impressed me every time with his all round play and the positions he was getting into. He fluffed some chances but was also unlucky with others. He’s a smart player. Im confident that goals will come with more experience and with time.

He’s still only 19 (nearly 20) and he has 3 senior goals. We should be proud of him. We might also tend to forget that he was PL2 player of the year last year on only about a half a season - he scored 11 goals in that time. It will come for him.

Let’s get behind him instead of trying to position to be the first one to say “I told you so” if/when that arises.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Agreed Stu. No wonder we haven't had a young striker come through in so long.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Let’s put this into context. He’s an extremely talented player who is adapting to the rigours of top flight football in a side that is fighting for their PL survival.

I can only say what I have seen - his all round performances have been pretty impressive for a kid in that context. I’m sure I saw all weekend games he played right up to Christmas and he impressed me every time with his all round play and the positions he was getting into. He fluffed some chances but was also unlucky with others. He’s a smart player. Im confident that goals will come with more experience and with time.

He’s still only 19 (nearly 20) and he has 3 senior goals. We should be proud of him. We might also tend to forget that he was PL2 player of the year last year on only about a half a season - he scored 11 goals in that time. It will come for him.

Let’s get behind him instead of trying to position to be the first one to say “I told you so” if/when that arises.
    Or alternatively we could just offer an objective view and call it how we see it.
    Last edited by youngirish; 20/01/2020 at 3:50 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Or alternatively we could just offer an objective view and call it how we see it.
    This.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Agreed Stu. No wonder we haven't had a young striker come through in so long.
    What cos a minority on a football forum are calling it as they see it to the detriment of player development and progression?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I posted on another forum yesterday what the general consensus from Brighton fans is is that he's either regressed or the starting games were one offs. They're becoming less convinced by him by the game...maybe needs to start coming on as the impact sub. Like James McLean
    Its not unusual for a young player to make immediate impact and then regress a little before kicking on again. Rashford is probably a good example of that in recent years.

My biggest fear for Connolly over the summer seeing his social media was that he seemed like a bit too much of a lad and I wasnt sure he was professional enough to make break through, but then he goes on to have a great impact for them early in season. Now it might be a mixture of lack of the right service, lack of confidence and also defenders figuring him out a bit. I definitely think that we have seen enough in him to show that he can kick on again, but will depend on how hard he works at it. There has been zero talk from his manager that he maybe lacking in professionalism unlike Obafemi for example, so I wouldnt be at all surprised if he got another 3-5 goals before end of season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I posted on another forum yesterday what the general consensus from Brighton fans is is that he's either regressed or the starting games were one offs. They're becoming less convinced by him by the game...maybe needs to start coming on as the impact sub. Like James McLean
    Do they misspell player names in this forum too
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Don't share the opinion "he's not good enough" but can agree he's (currently) not good enough in the position he is playing. He needs a wider starting position. At the moment he has his back to goal, playing against defenders who are more seasoned, older, taller and physcially stronger than him. It's not working for him. He's dangerous when he gets turned and can put defenders on the back foot.

11. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Oops, I was drunk. Don't remember context. Apologies.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 23/01/2020 at 8:50 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    I know, I know it seems ridiculous to be dissecting the performance of a teenager who broke into a Premier League side and scored twice in his fifth game (and was a miracle defensive clearance away from a goal two games earlier), especially given that about 18 months ago it looked possible, by this point in time, we'd have only one striker at this level. And yes, he will probably develop into a fine striker in the coming months an years.

But right now, based on what I've seen, I would still have McGoldrick, Long and Obafemi ahead of him, and perhaps Robinson, so I don't think his place in the squad for Slovakia should be guaranteed (unless Mick wants to accommodate all of them, which might not be a bad idea)

Having watched Obafemi last night, and on an earlier occasion, I think his hold-up play, passing and finishing (especially that goal against Chelsea) seem to be on a par with Connolly, at least. But he's also stronger and, of course, blindingly quick - it's the sort of pace which could change a game if unleashed after an hour on a slightly tired defence, particularly if our backline and midfield are under the cosh.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Don't share the opinion "he's not good enough" but can agree he's (currently) not good enough in the position he is playing. He needs a wider starting position.
    A highlights reel of Connolly will surely show him at his most dangerous on the left.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    A highlights reel of Connolly will surely show him at his most dangerous on the left.
    If that's the case play him instead of McClean against the Slovaks.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    A highlights reel of McClean under Michael O'Neill before the WBA game was actually very impressive!

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    A highlights reel of McClean under Michael O'Neill before the WBA game was actually very impressive!
    You kinda knew that if there was a manager that could get the best out of McClean it was Michael O’Neill . Yet again Michael O’Neill showing again how good a manager he is . Hopefully down the line he will be a Prime Candidate for the Republic of Ireland Manager job.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't know how many times I've had to tell you people that you should never listen to anything fans say on message boards. Animals, the lot of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    No need for that.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Last comment is a little OTT alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Seeing as he's a fan on a football forum, I suspect it's a little tongue-in-cheek.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Seeing as he's a fan on a football forum, I suspect it's a little tongue-in-cheek.
    It was the deleted comment that was a little rough around the edges, not CD's.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Not on bench today

Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast