Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Connolly F Hull b.2000

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Valuable insight, nineteen year old needs to work on his game.
    pull up your stats again as a justifiable reason . You know I said more than just this, Brighton fans and manager don't feel he offers enough to merit a place and is a little one dimensional. The more moderate fans believe he will be a good asset for Ireland but not a massive goal scorer in the Premier league. Brighton need someone who offers more than he is, at least currently able to offer, jury is still out on whether he has those other aspects to his game.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Brighton fans and manager don't feel he offers enough to merit a place and is a little one dimensional.

By 'a place' you obviously mean an automatic starting place, in every single game? Is that your measure of whether a nineteen year old is making decent progress or not?

Potter has said he needs to work on his game, pretty standard stuff when talking about a young player. It says a lot that you need 'insiders' to point that out to you. Maybe watch a few games and form an opinion of your own.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I don't need anyone to point out, its on here people are making assumptions based on a few snippets. I am taking it from people who are seeing in on a game by game basis. You'd be better to pay heed than the odd bit you've seen on TV. as usual you have shifted the goalposts, first you used his not playing as a reason to say its hardly fair to judge him and what do you expect him to do with that time, i merely countered hed be playing more if he was good enough or doing enough in games.

Hes not playing full games or coming on as they see him as more of an impact player. If he was doing well enough hed be playing full games. As I said the jurys still out on him, if brighton are chaasing a game and hitting long balls up, which they do a lot of he isnt the player for that. He needs to run at defenses with the ball at his feet. He doesnt offer anything else at the moment for them.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    From https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...rom-hurt-villa
    Ireland striker Aaron Connolly was left out of the squad for last weekend’s game against Everton and Potter stressed the importance of managing the workload for the young forward as he continues to develop.

“We must remember that he’s still only 19 years old, he’s learning the game and learning how to be a Premier League footballer," said Potter. "That’s just a natural process because this time last year he was playing in the under-23s.

“He’s taken a step up to play in the most competitive league in the world so it’s probably a bit unfair for us to just expect him to be available for every single minute.

“We need to help him improve and be a better player and professional, but his attributes are unique and he brings something different. I don’t think we have anyone else like him in the group.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    pull up your stats again as a justifiable reason
    If you insist.

Connolly has played 720 PL minutes in total. 438 (60%) of these have come in games against Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea & Tottenham, most of which were away from home (6/8). It's been a disproportionately steep learning curve, even by PL standards. Hopefully he can get back in the team for the next few fixtures, which look like a much better opportunity for a Brighton forward to impress or score.

Aston Villa (h); Bournemouth (a); West Ham (a); Watford (h); Sheff Utd (a); Crystal Palace (h)

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't need anyone to point out, its on here people are making assumptions based on a few snippets.
    You clearly do, you don't actually have an opinion based on what you've seen, with your own eyes. What assumptions are people making - and what people? Stu & Tommy, to name a couple, have said they've seen every minute he's played, hardly a few snippets.

As I said the jurys still out on him, if brighton are chaasing a game and hitting long balls up, which they do a lot of he isnt the player for that. He needs to run at defenses with the ball at his feet. He doesnt offer anything else at the moment for them.
    Of course the jury's out on him, he's played 720 minutes of league football ffs. Is somebody actually saying he's the finished article? Pure straw man stuff as usual.

Answer this - what were your hopes for him at the start of the season? Is he doing better or worse than you would've hoped?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    If you insist.

Connolly has played 720 PL minutes in total. 438 (60%) of these have come in games against Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea & Tottenham, most of which were away from home (6/8). It's been a disproportionately steep learning curve, even by PL standards. Hopefully he can get back in the team for the next few fixtures, which look like a much better opportunity for a Brighton forward to impress or score.

Aston Villa (h); Bournemouth (a); West Ham (a); Watford (h); Sheff Utd (a); Crystal Palace (h)
    O’Brien was elevated to open the innings with Paul Stirling in T20s last year and the partnership seemed to click immediately, with the two batters finishing the calendar year number one [Stirling] and number two [O’Brien] in run-scoring in T20Is worldwide.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    You clearly do, you don't actually have an opinion based on what you've seen, with your own eyes. What assumptions are people making - and what people? Stu & Tommy, to name a couple, have said they've seen every minute he's played, hardly a few snippets.

Of course the jury's out on him, he's played 720 minutes of league football ffs. Is somebody actually saying he's the finished article? Pure straw man stuff as usual.

Answer this - what were your hopes for him at the start of the season? Is he doing better or worse than you would've hoped?
    When he made his debut or shortly after I said I'd hope hed have 5 goals or so in his appearances by january or so. That hasn't happened so ya I am a little disappointed.

And just to be clear its not about the finished article, its what he can offer. I am saying thats what the jury is still out on. Can he offer those other things? I am not so sure he can. Which in this day and age in the PL unless in a top 6 or 7 side where they have others around to do the other things, you need to be able to survive and thrive.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I asked at the start of the season, not after he scored two goals against Spurs. Who's moving the goalposts?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    If you insist.

You'd surely expect a return of 1 or 2 goals there if he is playing in all games? Villa, Bournemouth, watford and West Ham id be hoping for a couple there.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I asked at the start of the season, not after he scored two goals against Spurs. Who's moving the goalposts?
    Misread that sorry, I'd have hoped hed have played around 15 games for Brighton across all competitions and scored a few goals at least across a few games.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Misread that sorry, I'd have hoped hed have played around 15 games for Brighton across all competitions and scored a few goals at least across a few games.
    That he'd have played 15 games by now is it?

I'd have been happy enough that he'd feature regularly from the bench and basically establish himself as a part of their plans. We're talking about a teenager who hadn't played at all previously. The fact that he's become a regular starter is a great result (so far) as far as I'm concerned. We'd all have loved if he followed up his brace against Spurs with another goal or two, no doubt, but hopefully they'll come in the next few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    O’Brien was elevated to open the innings with Paul Stirling in T20s last year and the partnership seemed to click immediately, with the two batters finishing the calendar year number one [Stirling] and number two [O’Brien] in run-scoring in T20Is worldwide.
    Make a point from this. or I'm deleting it for irrelevance. Fast.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Make a point from this. or I'm deleting it for irrelevance. Fast.
    Its fairly obvious i would have thought that was obvious, I forgot what I'm working with here. Last year was the ODI cricket world cup, few teams were playing T20. Stats can be read anyway you want them to be.

It's a good one, so I suppose it shouldn't be expected to be understood here.

Sorry I couldnt get to it that fast. I had work to do unfortunately, don't have time to be rushing on here sadly.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    how is that relevant
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Connolly starting today, his career might not be over afterall

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Off the pace today. Hasn’t done well with the limited amount of ball he’s received. Murray will replace him earlier than expected unless he picks things up. 30 minutes gone

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Off the pace today. Hasn’t done well with the limited amount of ball he’s received. Murray will replace him earlier than expected unless he picks things up. 30 minutes gone
    Looks very different to the player of a few months ago, lacking the spark he had. Needs a goal to get some confidence by looks of things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Looks very different to the player of a few months ago, lacking the spark he had. Needs a goal to get some confidence by looks of things
    Agreed. I'd say he will be substituted off on 60 mins. He is not doing much.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I posted on another forum yesterday what the general consensus from Brighton fans is is that he's either regressed or the starting games were one offs. They're becoming less convinced by him by the game...maybe needs to start coming on as the impact sub. Like James McLean

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast