Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Connolly F free agent b.2000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I always wondered if Manning could play left of a midfield 3 - similar to the Brady role at Euro16?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    That was where he played with the 21s along with Cullen and Rice. Looked both good and bad in that role. Probably a reason he’s found his home at LB/LWB/LCB - although I think he lacks pace at LWB to really be an outstanding option there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Manning was very much an attacking winger in the LOI before going over to England.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Manning and Ebosele were both very poor defensively this past weekend
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesNotMiley View Post
    I always wondered if Manning could play left of a midfield 3 - similar to the Brady role at Euro16?
    Wasn't Brady just a straight LB at Euro 2016?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Wasn't Brady just a straight LB at Euro 2016?

Only in the opener against Sweden. Ward played the next 3 games at LB.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Actually I didn’t think Ebosele was that bad defensively, has certainly improved his tracking back and tackling since Italian move. I’d have no qualms playing him.

To me, Manning is like a poor man’s Ian Harte. Nice going forward, delivers some good balls, and contributes with some goals. Awful defender. He was bad at the weekend against
    Plymouth, God only knows how he will do at international level. I don’t get the clamor for his inclusion internationally, he’s not for me anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Agree on Manning 100%

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Playing with WBs there's some leeway when it comes to the defensive side. They've got extra protection around them. He's also got something which we lack and that's someone with a decent delivery of the ball whether from open play or set pieces.

Himself and O'Dowda are poor defensively but his positives definitely outweighs O'Dowda's positives given our best chances of scoring is getting good deliveries into the box.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    To me, Manning is like a poor man’s Ian Harte. Nice going forward, delivers some good balls, and contributes with some goals. Awful defender. He was bad at the weekend against
    Plymouth, God only knows how he will do at international level. I don’t get the clamor for his inclusion internationally, he’s not for me anyways.
    The clamour, such as it is, around Manning is down to our dwindling options elsewhere.

Coleman is injured and probably starting into his last season as a Premier League player (given Everton's trajectory, if nothing else). McClean is injured and while I wouldn't rule out Kenny sticking with him until the end of the campaign, we've never capped someone in the fourth tier, and for good reason. Brady is injured I think; hasn't made the bench for Preston yet this season. Stevens is back starting in the Championship after an injury-hit spell but he's 33 and I think past his best.

Doherty has played all of 16 minutes since mid Jan but may be the only one of the old guard we have available for Sept. Browne and O'Dowda seem to be the succession plan to that lot, but I don't really buy it. They're being shoe-horned into the position.

So it entirely makes sense to consider a player on the Championship Team of the Season. We're desperate for options here. Others - Ebosele (also poor at the weekend it seems), McNamara, Lyons (but he's dropped a division) - who else?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The clamour, such as it is, around Manning is down to our dwindling options elsewhere.

Coleman is injured and probably starting into his last season as a Premier League player (given Everton's trajectory, if nothing else). McClean is injured and while I wouldn't rule out Kenny sticking with him until the end of the campaign, we've never capped someone in the fourth tier, and for good reason. Brady is injured I think; hasn't made the bench for Preston yet this season. Stevens is back starting in the Championship after an injury-hit spell but he's 33 and I think past his best.

Doherty has played all of 16 minutes since mid Jan but may be the only one of the old guard we have available for Sept. Browne and O'Dowda seem to be the succession plan to that lot, but I don't really buy it. They're being shoe-horned into the position.

So it entirely makes sense to consider a player on the Championship Team of the Season. We're desperate for options here. Others - Ebosele (also poor at the weekend it seems), McNamara, Lyons (but he's dropped a division) - who else?
    Realistic options for RB/RWB:

Matt Doherty
    Seamus Coleman
    Danny McNamara
    Jon Gallagher
    Festy Ebosele

Less realistic options:

Cyrus Christie
    Andy Lyons
    Peter Kioso
    Lee O’Connor
    James Abankwah
    Sam Curtis

Realistic options for LB/LWB:

James McClean
    Ryan Manning
    Callum O’Dowda

Less realistic options:

Robbie Brady
    Ends Stevens
    Liam Scales
    Joel Bagan
    Derrick Williams
    Alex Murphy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    It is LB/LWV where you can't help but be most nervous. Really do think a call-up for Murphy would be a good move. He probably has the highest ceiling among that crop, has come a long way in a short time and it would be good for Kenny to get a close look at him. I'm not saying he starts but you cant put your faith in McClean, O'Dowda or Manning as long term answers to that problem. Dara O'Shea has played there before, not ideal and not his natural side but might be a stop-gap option too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    It is LB/LWV where you can't help but be most nervous.
    Yep. Good list from elated - Alan Browne is missing from it, but I think he's being shoehorned into position too to be honest. Not his fault of course but I feel he's being played out of position there. Probably a bit harsh to label Brady a "less realistic option" too, though as he seems to be injured again I don't think he's in the frame from September, and he's certainly not getting any younger or any more injury-free.

I'd have Manning over Murphy in fairness. The higher ceiling isn't really relevant if that ceiling is a few years off.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    James Furlong has to be on the list for LWB. Played very well in his first season at Motherwell and in Brightons plans after they rejected bids for him from Poland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    I'd have Manning over Murphy in fairness. The higher ceiling isn't really relevant if that ceiling is a few years off.
    I dont really disagree to be honest. But if you lose McClean (and I think now is the time) and O'Dowda is as bad as his performance against Greece was then you really only have Manning who just has not been sufficiently involved and tested at this level. I'm not advocating starting Murphy just a bit of a fast track to the squad to see how he competes. I think its fairly low risk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    I wouldn't mind both in the squad in fairness. But we've seen plenty of times that initial excitement over a young player fades a bit as they actually play, so while I wouldn't mind him being called up to give him experience, he may benefit more from a 21s debut, which I think he has earned.

O'Dowda is another I'd like to find a place for in the squad, but not at wingback. Like Browne, I don't think it's his fault he didn't play well when (I think) out of position

It'll be an interesting squad selection cos we've plenty injuries in positions we're stuck for anyway (wingback and up front). There's room for a curve-ball option and for someone to stake a claim to a starting spot. Connolly arguably being the obvious example (to get back on topic!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I dont really disagree to be honest. But if you lose McClean (and I think now is the time) and O'Dowda is as bad as his performance against Greece was then you really only have Manning who just has not been sufficiently involved and tested at this level. I'm not advocating starting Murphy just a bit of a fast track to the squad to see how he competes. I think its fairly low risk.
    I think O'Dowdas performance against Greece is a bit overstated. Yes he got caught for 2nd goal but if Lenihan wasn't way out of position the gap behind O'Dowda wouldn't have been as bad. The handball was just unlucky. Manning is not the step up from him that some people think

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Suggesting O'Dowda's Greece performance wasn' t that bad or just an aberration doesn't seem quite right when we look, for example, at how badly he was caught out at club level just the week before last against QPR, costing his side a goal.

I think it's quite telling that when Cardiff played Leicester away on Saturday - obviously one of the best teams in the league - they pushed O'Dowda further forward, stationing Jamilu Collins behind him at left back.

He just isn't a very good defender; his virtues lie elsewhere.

Now, whilst he may not play for Real Madrid, Manning was by common consensus the best left back in the Championship last season, earning a move to one of the best teams in that league, as well as credible Premier League interest from Luton and Sheffield Utd.

McClean's clear decline and, presumably, international career-ending drop to the fourth tier, means that, if he wasn't already, and like it or no, Manning is clearly the best option available to us for the left wingback role given the system and style of play the manager wants us to play. The fact he cannot even make Kenny's squads is certainly puzzling.

You can't help but suspect that some of the comments you see from certain Ireland supporters seeking to play down or dismiss this obvious point - and Manning as a footballer - is down to a deep-rooted loyalty to Kenny, and viewing other fans' advocacy of Manning as implicit criticism of their man.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    I don't think the last paragraph is needed, but other than that I fully agree.

I think O'Dowda started out for us as a creative attacking mid or something? Always found it strange that he's ended up as wingback.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I don't think the last paragraph is needed, but other than that I fully agree.

I think O'Dowda started out for us as a creative attacking mid or something? Always found it strange that he's ended up as wingback.
    I think he's just a victim of the current trend of teams -- at club and international level -- preferring to play with wingbacks. The fact he's left footed and there's always very few of those in any given squad means managers will just slot him in there by default.

My view is that his best position would probably be as an old school wide player in a 4-4-2, but not many teams use that formation these days.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

23. Thanks From:

Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast