Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Connolly F Hull b.2000

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Good 10 minute cameo from him tonight. Worked hard, held the ball up well and made good tackle in the left back position.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    playing a tremendous, great game today, doing everything perfectly, but to place the freaking ball in the back of the net!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    His (and Brighton’s) overall performance quite good but they are taking wastefulness to farcical levels now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    A very promising young player with some great facets to his game pace, enthusiasm, work rate, and he regularly causes defenders problems.

That said he really needs to start finishing chances off like he did at youth level. After that impressive double in his first PL game, he seems to have developed a bit of a mental block and is second guessing himself rather than playing on instinct.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    A very promising young player with some great facets to his game pace, enthusiasm, work rate, and he regularly causes defenders problems.

That said he really needs to start finishing chances off like he did at youth level. After that impressive double in his first PL game, he seems to have developed a bit of a mental block and is second guessing himself rather than playing on instinct.
    Just kick the fecking thing towards the goal !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Just kick the fecking thing towards the goal !
    That’s part of his problem too though.
    Often shoots when the angle is too tight or there’s a teammate better positioned.
    Robbie Keane got away with being that selfish cos he stuck them away so often

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    As much as I want to, I cannot see the regular-start EPL player in Connolly. He's so predictable (run, cut inside, shoot or invite fall-over tackle). Looking at the top of the Championship table, I doubt he'd be a starter there either. Fact is, if he wasn't Irish he wouldn't cost most of us a second thought - no more than any other Brighton, WBA, Fulham or Sheff Utd occasional starter. Unpopular opinion - but regretfully I think it's valid.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Our player pool is so poor at the moment. There probably isnt eve one player who you could say, this time next season is a nailed on premier league starter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    He’s dynamic and he’s just 21. He does need to improve but he has time to. I feel he’ll come good.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I really don't think Brighton is the club for him. They just don't play to his strengths. I'm not sure what attacking strengths they even do play to. I am not a fan of Potter at all.

He just doesn't get enough chances or enough ball in dangerous areas for Brighton that when he does get a chance it's a panic.

I would love to see him play in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 under a manager or coach with a bit of attacking experience. Derby for a while under Rooney, for example. But I still think he has enough for the top division so it's hard to see such a move. If Brighton had signed a couple of forwards that suited Potter's style better than probably all those there at the moment then he might have got a loan for the second half of the season to the Championship. Maybe they make those signings in the summer and he moves to another Premiership side.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Would he be able to cross the ball so that Shane Long might have a go at heading it in to the goal !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I really don't think Brighton is the club for him. They just don't play to his strengths. I'm not sure what attacking strengths they even do play to. I am not a fan of Potter at all.

He just doesn't get enough chances or enough ball in dangerous areas for Brighton that when he does get a chance it's a panic.

I would love to see him play in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 under a manager or coach with a bit of attacking experience. Derby for a while under Rooney, for example. But I still think he has enough for the top division so it's hard to see such a move. If Brighton had signed a couple of forwards that suited Potter's style better than probably all those there at the moment then he might have got a loan for the second half of the season to the Championship. Maybe they make those signings in the summer and he moves to another Premiership side.
    Millwall wasn't the club for Parrott and now Ipswich probably aren't either. Brighton stuffed around with Duffy and Molumby (much hyped but now can't get a start at Preston) and now Connolly is suffering under Potter. QPR didn't appreciate Manning - now on the bench at Swansea. Doherty at Spurs etc. The problem with these and other English clubs is they don't change their style, structure and ambitions to facilitate our fabulous Irish players.

Potter has made Brighton into an exciting side to watch on a relatively small budget - a small club that was in L2 not so long ago. Yet he's called a spoofer by Irish fans re Connolly and Molumby. Is it not ironic many of these Irish fans fail to see that Stephen Kenny is tasked with a similar assignment, i.e. to make a dull route-one set-up into a home of beautiful possession football? Do they have similar opinions of Kenny, especially after his very non-exciting eight games start? Talk about forty shades of myopia.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 01/03/2021 at 6:09 AM. Reason: grammar check

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    You may be onto something there, youngirish, and I assume you've quoted me whilst seeking to make a broader point because I don't hold all of the views set out above, particularly not on Molumby, Parrott and Manning.

You know, you really ought to round up all the myopic fans that you refer to here and give them a really good talking to. Not sure where they hang out or frequent or if they're gathering using Zoom due to the COVID restrictions but I'll trust you'll sort it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Millwall wasn't the club for Parrott and now Ipswich probably aren't either. Brighton stuffed around with Duffy and Molumby (much hyped but now can't get a start at Preston) and now Connolly is suffering under Parrott. QPR didn't appreciate Manning - now on the bench at Swansea. Doherty at Spurs etc. The problem with these and other English clubs is they don't change their style, structure and ambitions to facilitate our fabulous Irish players.

Potter has made Brighton into an exciting side to watch on a relatively small budget - a small club that was in L2 not so long ago. Yet he's called a spoofer by Irish fans re Connolly and Molumby. Is it not ironic many of these Irish fans fail to see that Stephen Kenny is tasked with a similar assignment, i.e. to make a dull route-one set-up into a home of beautiful possession football? Do they have similar opinions of Kenny, especially after his very non-exciting eight games start? Talk about forty shades of myopia.
    Are you available for ~ Inspirational Stuff ?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Their manager knew his style and he knew theirs when he was offered and signed a four year contract not so long ago. He was thankful for the security of it and happy to sign it and stay.

Since then, that same manager has always given him decent minutes on the pitch and continues to despite the goals drying up upon stepping into first team level after a good first impression.

The chance he missed yesterday, your striker cannot be missing at Premier League level and it really is that simple, it and chances like it have to go in.

We blame Mourinho, we blame Millwall, we'll probably blame Ipswich soon too. We thought Norwich dropping a level would make Adam Idah.

These lads need to do better, play better, finish better because managers aren't in the habit of leaving match winning players out of their plans and our lads aren't offering that as yet and Connolly has been given several auditions by a manager who clearly does rate him. What more can he do for him ?

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    You really are trying to put words in my mouth or draw inferences from my post there.

I just don't think the style of play suits Connolly. I am not blaming Potter. The fact that I am not a fan is an aside.

My point is that I feel Connolly would be far more likely to reach his potential at a club which plays 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and that asks wide forwards to break at speed.

I appreciate Connolly should be doing better himself and I think that his stagnation is due to a combination of Brighton's style and his own form.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    You really are trying to put words in my mouth or draw inferences from my post there.

I just don't think the style of play suits Connolly. I am not blaming Potter. The fact that I am not a fan is an aside.

My point is that I feel Connolly would be far more likely to reach his potential at a club which plays 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and that asks wide forwards to break at speed.

I appreciate Connolly should be doing better himself and I think that his stagnation is due to a combination of Brighton's style and his own form.
    You're being heard. Apparently the new Ipswich manager, when appointed, will be contractually obliged to mastermind the club's renaissance around our Troy Parrott.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    You're being heard. Apparently the new Ipswich manager, when appointed, will be contractually obliged to mastermind the club's renaissance around our Troy Parrott.
    Parrott hasnt scored but hes actually playing well for Ipswich and their results have picked up since hes got there. They are up to 8th now. Obviously not all down to Parrott but its not as bad as its been made out to be.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Off topic posts removed
    Snapshot - we have a policy here of attack the post, not the poster. Debate the point made in a post, do not attack the poster

The site mods are alerted if a user (banned or not) posts from a second account, and the necessary steps are taken.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

25. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Off topic posts removed
    Snapshot - we have a policy here of attack the post, not the poster. Debate the point made in a post, do not attack the poster

The site mods are alerted if a user (banned or not) posts from a second account, and the necessary steps are taken.
    I didn't attack the poster. A bit of sarcasm for god's sake. Also, you're a mod - why am I being accused of having another account? I don't and never have. Please stop insinuating I am breaking rules and being an outlaw.

Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast