Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Keiren Westwood G Crewe Alexandra b.1984

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Keiren Westwood G Crewe Alexandra b.1984

Wants to play for Ireland. Don't know if anyone saw the game against Leeds on Monday but he was outstanding. Given the lack of quality in that department (Birmingham reserves and Scunthorpe keepers in the squad) he could be worth consideration. Only 23 to boot.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3935227.ece

Ireland hopeful Westwood focused on WembleyBy Jason Mellor
    Keiren Westwood’s string of impressive recent performances may have sparked talk of international recognition, but the highly-rated goalkeeper will be more than happy with a spell out of the limelight this evening if it helps Carlisle United’s ambitions of promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship.

Westwood was at his best when helping his team to secure a 2-1 win in the first leg of their League One play-offs semi-final against Leeds United at Elland Road on Monday and the return at Brunton Park this evening promises to be just as lively for the goalkeeper.

Yet to nail his international football colours to the mast, Irish lineage means the Manchester-born 23-year-old is considering pitching his lot in with Ireland in an effort to catch the eye of Giovanni Trapattoni, the new manager, in the coming months. Such a task would be easier is he were performing regularly in the second rather than third tier of English football.

“Playing for the Republic is something I’d definitely consider,” Westwood, who has been named in this season’s Professional Footballers’ Association League One team of the year, said. “I’m not Irish as such, but I’m a Catholic boy and it’s in my blood through my dad’s mum. I’m only a League One goalkeeper and it would help my chances by moving up to the Championship.”

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get the Boat!

“I’m not Irish as such, but I’m a Catholic boy and it’s in my blood through my dad’s mum. I’m only a League One goalkeeper and it would help my chances by moving up to the Championship."

Straight away I'd never want this fella representing my Country. He is blaise about his Irish heritage and seems to having an alterior motive for playing with us..making it into the bloody championship. His priorities are not in the right place, we want people who take pride in playing for our shirt and not some guy thinking of how its a nice little bullet point on his cv!!!!
    'hold on a minute baby, you have jumped over the fence'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    “I’m not Irish as such, but I’m a Catholic boy and it’s in my blood through my dad’s mum. I’m only a League One goalkeeper and it would help my chances by moving up to the Championship."

Straight away I'd never want this fella representing my Country. He is blaise about his Irish heritage and seems to having an alterior motive for playing with us..making it into the bloody championship. His priorities are not in the right place, we want people who take pride in playing for our shirt and not some guy thinking of how its a nice little bullet point on his cv!!!!
    Agree on the first thing. On the second I think you are misunderstanding him. He meant that moving up to the championship would help him get in the Ireland squad not vice versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Very well said, fair play mate
    We'll never die, we'll never die

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Agree on the first thing. On the second I think you are misunderstanding him. He meant that moving up to the championship would help him get in the Ireland squad not vice versa.
    Yeah, that was my reading of it. He clearly says it'd improve his chances of a call up 'by getting into teh Championship', dunno how anyone could read it the other way around. I did notice that 'I'm not Irish as such' quote but think people are being a bit too percious about it, he may well have just meant 'I wasn't born in Ireland but am aware of my heritage'. A lot of people in teh UK would have told him he's not Irish as such, think he's just pre empting it. He's still young for a kepper and a lot at that age would still be hoping for a break to get to a higher level and make an England squad given that they're not exactly over run with top keepers these days. I'd argue his approach is better then Clinton Morrisson's was at the time (and I'd be a fan of Clint) and far better then Andy Townsend's was (again I'd have been a fan).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I wonder if this was a TOP TOP playerr saying these things, would the uproar be the same? A real world star who for one reason or another isn't getting picked by 'his country'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I wish good Catholic boys like Lionel Messi and Kaka had thought likewise instead of League 1 keepers.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Yeah, that was my reading of it. He clearly says it'd improve his chances of a call up 'by getting into teh Championship', dunno how anyone could read it the other way around. I did notice that 'I'm not Irish as such' quote but think people are being a bit too percious about it, he may well have just meant 'I wasn't born in Ireland but am aware of my heritage'. A lot of people in teh UK would have told him he's not Irish as such, think he's just pre empting it. He's still young for a kepper and a lot at that age would still be hoping for a break to get to a higher level and make an England squad given that they're not exactly over run with top keepers these days. I'd argue his approach is better then Clinton Morrisson's was at the time (and I'd be a fan of Clint) and far better then Andy Townsend's was (again I'd have been a fan).
    Spot on. He made some excellent saves the other day all right. I haven't see him play before so I don't know how consistent he is. I would welcome him on board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I'd estimate that 50% of Championship clubs have an Irish goalie on their books. And then you've got a number of decent goalies playing in the LOI. If we wants to play for us, he'll need to prove that he's better than all these players and he can only do that by playing regularly at a higher level than the Championship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Whats with “I'm a Catholic boy” got to do with playing for Ireland. Bizarre.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Correct "No Catholics need apply"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Not bizarre at all, it's just a tounge in check comment ffs. A lot of 2g and 3g Irish get sent to Catholic schools in England, I've often heard that phrase used in the UK from people educated in Catholic schools or from 2g fans on away trips. Think you're reading waaay to much onto it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think a couple of the comments above are a bit harsh, you'd hardly expect him to come out and say i really feel Irish and really want nothing more than to play for Ireland. In fairness, by suggesting that playing in the championship will improve his chances of playing for us shows at least a desire to play for Ireland.

Its the one position where we have always been reasonably strong. I think on current reckoning, he would have to be behind given, kiely, doyle, kenny and possibly henderson and murphy.

I know doyle had a poor first few games in the premiership but he was excellent the season before and i reckon he gets the opportunity again he will be our number one for the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Surely someone like Brian Murphy would be ahead of him?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Call me old fashioned but if you come out with a statement declaring that you are not Irish then maybe you shouldn't be representing the Irish football team. If he's a Catholic he can declare for the Vatican City Select XI. I know we've had plenty of players with tenuous links to our country playing for us in the past (and to a lesser extent the present) but I for one don't want to see a return to those days even at the price of the additional success it may bring. Success at any cost is not what football should be about (though I would agree it's become like this is recent years).

The Ireland football team should be for Irish people and no that doesn't just mean those born in Ireland but at the very least the minimum requirement should be that you at least consider yourself Irish before applying.
    Last edited by youngirish; 15/05/2008 at 1:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    I wish good Catholic boys like Lionel Messi and Kaka had thought likewise instead of League 1 keepers.
    Kaka is a protestant. His dad is German.

Seriously.

Don't ask me how I know but I do
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    Kaka is a protestant. His dad is German.

Ah jaysus and i had him on me Celtic team on PES 08 - paid big bucks for him as well - have to put him on the transfer list so
    I have a head only Snow White would love

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Ah jaysus and i had him on me Celtic team on PES 08 - paid big bucks for him as well - have to put him on the transfer list so

Class

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Say what you will about his Irishness, but he was excellent against Leeds at the weekend, maybe he will be again today. I wouldnt have him in the team though
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Giovanni Trapattoni has called Carlisle goalkeeper Keiren Westwood into the Republic of Ireland

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0517/westwoodk.html
    We'll never die, we'll never die

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast