Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Connolly F Hull b.2000

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    My cousin has lived the last probably 15/20 years in Colorado. Says he had to learn to dramatically slow down the speak at which he spoke to be understood. Not sure his accent changed but he had to find a way to alter his speech to be understood

I have a friend of mine I was speaking to recently, who reckoned Connolly was suffering from bipolar disorder. He’s not a doctor but he has a family member who suffers from it. I’d never thought about it but if it or something similar were the case - I think we’d all do well to be relatively sympathetic to him
    My partner is from the US and had to do similar when I first met her. Felt like how you would speak dealing with customer service. Even though she's used to it now there's still times she'll look at me thinking what the **** are y'all talking about when I'm talking with family.

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Fair play, you are stubborn and won't change for anyone like a good old fashioned Irish man. I don't have the luxury of not making myself understood when I am on call discussing someone's finances.

My point is that not everyone is in same situation and this caveman attitude that you are irish to the core and any hint of an accent change lessens that is utter b0ll0cks
    Eirambler retained his accent so he's "stubborn" and "a good old-fashioned Irishman" and has a "caveman" attitude. Only nine years away and you're stereotyping like a tacky standup. Making yourself understood is down to diction not accent. But it's your choice in the land of the free - a Mickey-Mouse Irishman (to be sure, to be sure).

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Eirambler retained his accent so he's "stubborn" and "a good old-fashioned Irishman" and has a "caveman" attitude. Only nine years away and you're stereotyping like a tacky standup. Making yourself understood is down to diction not accent. But it's your choice in the land of the free - a Mickey-Mouse Irishman (to be sure, to be sure).
    Him saying he won't effin change for anyone is why I said that. We are great in Ireland about complaining that a fella has changed.... if you're still the same fella at 40 as you were at 20 and proud of it, that's just weird.

As for me being a mickey mouse Irishman because I'm defending the fact that a fellas accent can change based on where he lives, I suppose I do live about 30 mins from Disneyland so it's probably fair enough...

I just find it a bit pathetic that grown men could get upset and judge a young fella based on his accent. Aaron Connolly has plenty of things that I've hammered him for myself on here, based around football. If having a go at his or any other guys accent makes you feel that you're more of an Irish man I'm delighted for you.

I'll go in to work tomorrow now and talk like I would to my mates back home, because that's how a real Irish man would do it.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    l'll go in to work tomorrow now and talk like I would to my mates back home, because that's how a real Irish man would do it
    Post videos for us. Make sure you open with gowaytafcuk willya when the first unsuspecting soul shares a witty anecdote.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I was up at the local shopping centre yesterday and overhead some Irish kids talking about some youtuber. At that moment, I realized that there's no getting away from it - if Connolly wants to maintain his status as a true green-blooded Gaelic youth, he needs to brush up on his American accent.
    Last edited by texidub; 25/01/2023 at 4:46 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I heard his manager was giving out to him in Italy and Connolly was like 'fücka you I a go to da discoteca' while pinching his fingers.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post

I have a friend of mine I was speaking to recently, who reckoned Connolly was suffering from bipolar disorder. He’s not a doctor but he has a family member who suffers from it. I’d never thought about it but if it or something similar were the case - I think we’d all do well to be relatively sympathetic to him
    Based off what exactly? Wouldn't he have to see him on both sides of that to judge, the ups and downs, the hyperness etc? Not saying hes wrong but I'd have thought you'd have to know the person fairly well to get that insight. Of course if he has we would all be more considerate.

Nothing like fresh healthy foot.ie debate to get you(see what i did there) going for the work day ahead. I'll start changing my accent a little bit every hour so the Chinese, Indian, Ukranian, Serbian and Latin American colleagues of mine can understand me better. I'll even turn off the video so they don't get it any easier by seeing me. Feck the English they can suffer my slow prose.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    I heard his manager was giving out to him in Italy and Connolly was like 'fücka you I a go to da discoteca' while pinching his fingers.
    Brilliant! That's put a smile on my face.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    A shmile? Oh no wait sorry saamylle
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Post videos for us. Make sure you open with gowaytafcuk willya when the first unsuspecting soul shares a witty anecdote.
    & preferably with a couple of spontaneous, unsolicited rounds of "ooh ahh up the ra" just to really reinforce it

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I've been in Scotland nearly 20 years. Accent hasn't changed a bit to accommodate anyone else and it won't be changing either. If they don't like it they can **** off.
    Jan Molby speaks pure scouse, Morten Wieghorst's accent became pure Glaswegian, Peter Schmeichel's pure Manc. A pal moved to Australia after college and practically became Crocodile Dundee. It happens and not to accommodate anyone. Nothing to be ashamed of.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Jan Molby speaks pure scouse, Morten Wieghorst's accent became pure Glaswegian, Peter Schmeichel's pure Manc. A pal moved to Australia after college and practically became Crocodile Dundee. It happens and not to accommodate anyone. Nothing to be ashamed of.
    Did your accent get better or worse Stutts? That's the real question here that needs answering, innit?
    Did you become more upper-crust, more Anglo? Or was it resting there dormant all the time?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Well, I carelessly said crikey here last week and got pulled up on it.

Better or worse? That's a subjective call.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Arguing over peoples accents is a new one for foot.ie.

Sure Connolly might as well just declare for England now.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer might have played for England too with his accent.

Some people alter their accent without realising it, some people don't. I don't see what's confusing about that.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Ah Jayzus Stutts. Tongue was firmly in cheek with that one!!! Apologies if it seemed otherwise.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts

Blimey ! !

27. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    'E's gawn native!

My family chuckle a bit about it, but my brother has an English accent when speaking to his Essex-based cousins, adopted a Donegal accent when at college in Letterkenny and now has a Galway accent now he's based there.

Not that unusual, I suspect, to try to fit in and gain acceptance by attempting to speak like the locals in the area in which you reside.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    'E's gawn native!

My family chuckle a bit about it, but my brother has an English accent when speaking to his Essex-based cousins, adopted a Donegal accent when at college in Letterkenny and now has a Galway accent now he's based there.

Not that unusual, I suspect, to try to fit in and gain acceptance by attempting to speak like the locals in the area in which you reside.
    Makes it easier to be understood by the Yokels (wink) / Locals ~ ~ Ya would have to slow down a bit if you were one of these fast talking Irish ~ ~ Why would other People from different countries be expected to understand ya if you were talking as fast as the hammers of hell.

30. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Arguing over peoples accents is a new one for foot.ie.

Sure Connolly might as well just declare for England now.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer might have played for England too with his accent.

Some people alter their accent without realising it, some people don't. I don't see what's confusing about that.
    Should ole speak Norwegian in a ln English accent ?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Should ole speak Norwegian in a ln English accent ?
    Posters do seem to be giving a lot of examples of people speaking in their second language with an accent. It's a bit odd. I know English is our second language but still, you get my point.

Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast