Thread: Aaron Connolly F Hull b.2000

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    https://www.northstandchat.com/showt...77484-Connolly

Some opinions on Connolly from a Brighton Forum. Majority is negative at the moment surprisingly enough... or not, considering he hasnt scored for a while and football fans are generally idiots online!
    Wouldn't disagree with your comments about football fans, but there is no smoke without fire. They are obviously looking for Connolly to do better and probably feel the return he's giving for the faith shown in him (by the manager) is negligible. Critical time ahead in next few weeks for Aaron. He needs to stop falling to the ground with every challenge, hold onto the ball a bit better, and start finding the net.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's barely started a game recently due to injuries. Worth giving him a bit of space before passing judgement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Brighton is only four points clear of relegation. I suspect it’s the fear talking there.

Maupay only guy in his prime, with the raw Connolly and Murray, who has finally seemed to slow down.

If I were a Brighton fan I’d want another striker too. Connolly will get minutes either way. I disagree with the comment he never looks like scoring which someone made in that thread. Has had a few close ones. He’s due a goal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I don't believe he's good enough to be playing in the Premier League yet and numerous games putting in below par performances without scoring is not doing his confidence any favours. He may score the odd goal or two but generally when I've watched him he seems off the pace. A loan to a Championship club would do him good but will not happen due to Brighton being short of alternatives.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    https://www.northstandchat.com/showt...77484-Connolly

Some opinions on Connolly from a Brighton Forum. Majority is negative at the moment surprisingly enough... or not, considering he hasnt scored for a while and football fans are generally idiots online!
    "There’s a poster (can’t remember who), who even in the last few days, can’t believe that Maupay takes Connolly’s place every game. Underwhelmed by the overrated Maupay, Connolly is ready to destroy any PL opposition in a 4-5-1."

I think this guy is saying that Maupay should be dropped completely, but I watched their match against Chelsea the other day and made a similar point in a text. Now I don't know where Maupay usually does his best work but he was occupying the space where Connolly is usually most effective, wide left of the central striker. Connolly was feeding off scraps through the middle. He still managed to win a couple of free kicks, as he always does, and conjured up a reasonable chance for himself, but was unable to generate the necessary power.

Worth noting our resident Seagull, Tipp Townie, seemed to envisage this situation arising back at the start of the season-

Quote Originally Posted by Tipp Townie View Post
    Florin Andone now out on loan to Galatasaray, following on from Locadia's loan to Hoffenheim - which almost certainly means an enhanced role for Connolly now in the first team squad. Potter seems to be a big fan.

Good news for Connolly and Ireland.
    From a purely Albion perspective - i'm concerned we're now pretty light on out and out strikers. But I know you lot aren't too interested in that!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Maybe its the green tinted glasses but every time Ive seen Connolly he impresses me. He looks like a player who could get a lot of goals with the right service.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Maybe its the green tinted glasses but every time Ive seen Connolly he impresses me. He looks like a player who could get a lot of goals with the right service.
    I agree Razor. I have watched pretty much every game he has played in the league. I was commenting at the weekend that, while its an important currency for any striker, it goes beyond simply goals scored for me. It is clear when watching Connolly that he brings a lot to the team - his work off the ball is second to none, he is a handful and he can create a chance from not much. He has also gotten into some decent goalscoring positions and, but for some good goalkeeping and/or a little more experience and composure, he could have another 3 or 4 to his name. And all this in a system, to yours and Dels point, doesnt necessarily play him to his strengths.

There is more about Connolly to admire than to criticize in my opinion and i think he is going to be a very decent player.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I agree Razor. I have watched pretty much every game he has played in the league. I was commenting at the weekend that, while its an important currency for any striker, it goes beyond simply goals scored for me. It is clear when watching Connolly that he brings a lot to the team - his work off the ball is second to none, he is a handful and he can create a chance from not much. He has also gotten into some decent goalscoring positions and, but for some good goalkeeping and/or a little more experience and composure, he could have another 3 or 4 to his name. And all this in a system, to yours and Dels point, doesnt necessarily play him to his strengths.

There is more about Connolly to admire than to criticize in my opinion and i think he is going to be a very decent player.
    Agree with this. He is very raw still though and hasn’t improved as I thought he would as season progresses. He has the makings of a very good striker though. Potter has huge faith in him and will continue to give him chances in the coming months, hopefully he will take them.

I’ve watched every minute he’s been on pitch this year. Worth remembering he only has had 8 starts, and the majority of those has been as a lone striker with terrible service. He had an attempt cleared off the line on his debut, and a miraculous save prevented him from scoring vs Spurs, which would have doubled his goals tally. The goals will come.

Brighton are a nice team to watch, but a lot of their passing is non-penetrating and lack the quality players for the telling pass. Alzate and Troussard may change this as they continue to get game time, they can be game changers. While their fans are obsessed with Mooy and want a permanent deal, I haven’t been overly impressed, works his socks off with reasonable technique but he’s slower than a wet week and wastes many opportunities as a makeshift left winger, Gross simply hasn’t recaptured his previous form this season and is way too inconsistent to be relied upon, and Dale Stephens is not a premier league standard midfielder - to be honest I’d say Brighton are quietly kicking themselves that they didn’t have a January call back clause for Molumby. I honestly think he would make a difference to their midfield over the next few months. Webster has cost them a few goals at this stage. And while Dan Burn has done okay defensively as a make shift left back, at 6ft7 his centre of gravity is higher than Connollys fringe and has no place being a premier league full back. There are many other areas where Brighton fans should also be focused on rather than just their forward line, who actually have been poorly serviced apart from the few times Potter has elected for 2 up front.
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 08/01/2020 at 12:24 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I’ve watched every minute he’s been on pitch this year. Worth remembering he only has had 8 starts, and the majority of those has been as a lone striker with terrible service. He had an attempt cleared off the line on his debut, and a miraculous save prevented him from scoring vs Spurs, which would have doubled his goals tally. The goals will come.

Brighton are a nice team to watch, but a lot of their passing is non-penetrating and lack the quality players for the telling pass. Alzate and Troussard may change this as they continue to get game time, they can be game changers.
    I was pretty much thinking the same, although I can see why there is a little concern - he's reasonably quick but doesn't have the blinding pace to outrun defenders in a footrace that Obafemi or Long would have; he can create some space with his footwork, but doesn't seem to have the level of trickery to bamboozle defenders and leave them standing. But, on the other hand, as you said, besides the two goals against Spurs, only a miracle goal-line clearance from Fabian Schar prevented him from scoring with a classy finish against Newcastle; he scored in one League Cup tie and hit the bar in another; he seems to have good fox-in-the-box instincts that have allowed him to create chances for himself and have led to him forcing at least four saves that I can think of; he also won the free-kick and penalty that led to Brighton's goals in one game. So while he hasn't built on his goal tally and isn't yet tormenting backlines, he is regularly making telling contributions.

And, like you said, he has done this while receiving service that has been limited, at best - and the point you make about Trossard is important - Trossard seems to be one Brighton player who really has the ability to unlock defenses with a key pass, but Connolly almost never seems to be on the pitch with him for significant amounts of time, having been substituted at least a couple of times shortly after Trossard has been sprung from the bench

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Havent really been on here or this thread , alluded to jury is still out a couple of months back and stated he needs to start scoring, but ive been saying on another forum the last month that my colleagues at work who regularly attend and are fairly moderate football fans, not swinging one way or the other, think hes a bit one dimensional and doesnt suit the style of play that Brighton play. They think he has an awful lot to learn and that hes not the kind of forward that Brighton really need, or necessarily want. One even said with all due respect to Ireland he will probably be a good player for you but he wont be one to be banging in goals in the epl. thats been the concensus for a while now, but people will try and defend it as they have been on the other forum. I think its a fair assessment given the games and minutes played. the two goals against Totenham might have seen him getting more game time but seem to be to his own detriment now.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I don't believe he's good enough to be playing in the Premier League yet and numerous games putting in below par performances without scoring is not doing his confidence any favours. He may score the odd goal or two but generally when I've watched him he seems off the pace. A loan to a Championship club would do him good but will not happen due to Brighton being short of alternatives.
    great to see an informed and assertive poster back. agree with this.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I was pretty much thinking the same, although I can see why there is a little concern - he's reasonably quick but doesn't have the blinding pace to outrun defenders in a footrace that Obafemi or Long would have; he can create some space with his footwork, but doesn't seem to have the level of trickery to bamboozle defenders and leave them standing. But, on the other hand, as you said, besides the two goals against Spurs, only a miracle goal-line clearance from Fabian Schar prevented him from scoring with a classy finish against Newcastle; he scored in one League Cup tie and hit the bar in another; he seems to have good fox-in-the-box instincts that have allowed him to create chances for himself and have led to him forcing at least four saves that I can think of; he also won the free-kick and penalty that led to Brighton's goals in one game. So while he hasn't built on his goal tally and isn't yet tormenting backlines, he is regularly making telling contributions.

And, like you said, he has done this while receiving service that has been limited, at best - and the point you make about Trossard is important - Trossard seems to be one Brighton player who really has the ability to unlock defenses with a key pass, but Connolly almost never seems to be on the pitch with him for significant amounts of time, having been substituted at least a couple of times shortly after Trossard has been sprung from the bench
    sadly the game has really moved on from this though from what non top teams are looking for in their lone striker/forwards. A lower premier league team requires much more attributes from their forwards, connolly has very few of these and that's why generally Brighton fans dont think hes good enough but they know they dont have many options at the moment.

Granted Preston were not up for it and had made a lot of changes, but most of those attributes you mentioned there, Idah showed to possess them in that game against preston. And a keen eye for goal with a good finish what youve mentioned about connolly, very early days there though.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 08/01/2020 at 1:39 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    connolly can clearly play and is not intimidated by the EPL defenders. I'm not sure what dropping a division is supposed to achieve because there are very few footballers who can climb out of the championship successfully. he's getting reasonable gametime. Potter has not been negative. he is contributing. A goal or two in his next 4 or 5 games and everyone would be thrilled. any loan move would need to be really carefully picked so he would get game time in a system that allows him to play to his strenghts. a random drop to the Championship would not be as valuable as sporadic game time. he's 19, it's his first season, brighton are under pressure and are used to servicing a fully fit, mobile murray, it's really not so bad at the moment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I wouldn't automatically assume Connolly will be guaranteed to get more football if he stays at Brighton for the rest of the season. They are in the market for a new striker which you would expect will limit his opportunities. Considering they are also out of the cup a decent loan move could do him good as with Molumby at Millwall. Of course if he starts banging in goals then everything could change fairly quickly.
    Last edited by youngirish; 08/01/2020 at 7:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Is he fit at the moment?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Is he fit at the moment?

https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

He is not listed as injured here so I assume he is fit.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He is fit as I mentioned the general consensus at Brighton is he needs to work on his all round game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    He is fit as I mentioned the general consensus at Brighton is he needs to work on his all round game.
    no more than most of that Brighton team in reality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Valuable insight, nineteen year old needs to work on his game.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

24. Thanks From:

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast