Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Connolly F Hull b.2000

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts

Aaron Connolly F Hull b.2000

Connolly got on impressive for a 17 year old - https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...on-22-aug-17/#
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 24/10/2018 at 2:38 PM. Reason: added link to match review

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Connolly got on impressive for a 17 year old
    He replaced Richie Towell. Richie has a very important week or so ahead of him. Looks like he will go out on loan, the move has to be right (Championship level I would think).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    That's excellent news about Connolly - got seven goals during the qualifiers for this year's Euro U-17 Championship and I knew he had been moved up to U21 level at Brighton but I didn't expect to see him near the first-team squad this season. I know it's only the League Cup and there were literally hundreds of changes made by the teams participating tonight (274 to be exact according to the BBC) and he likely won't be playing Premier League in the coming months but still...if he can get some minutes in the Third Round, do well for Brighton's Academy team in the Checkatrade Trophy and perhaps get in the FA Cup squad in the New Year, he will have had a decent chance to test himself against senior defences and set himself up nicely for next season.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/988498486436876288

U23: 45+1: GOOAALL!! Bjordal whips a brilliant cross into the penalty area from the right wing and Connolly finishes first time on the volley. Great finish from the striker into the bottom corner. #WWFC 0 #BHAFC 1 #PL2

U23: 49: GOOAALL!! It's that man again. Connolly gets on the end of Mandroiu's free-kick into the penalty area, and the striker finishes into the bottom corner after composing himself. #WWFC 0 #BHAFC 2 #PL2

U23: 59: GOOAALL!! That's a hat-trick for the Irishman. Connolly races onto a through-ball from Sanders, and the striker opens his body to curl an effort into the bottom corner past Sondergaard. #WWFC 0 #BHAFC 3 #PL2

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I'm nervous for him now- will Hughton see fit to give him a run? 7 points above the drop with 4 games left. He might wait for mathematic certainty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Brighton are on 36 points at the moment, which should keep them up, but their run in is pretty horrific - Burnely, Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool - I'd say they'll need at least one more to be secure.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    In the U23 thread, I said after Aaron Drinan's hat-trick on April 9th, that he was officially our most exciting striking prospect (for the month of April at least). Two weeks, two games and five goals later, it appears that Aaron Connolly must have read my post and said "Challenge Accepted!" I know what people have said about the tough run-in, but there must be a case for Hughton bringing him into the matchday squad before the end of the season, even if it's just to give him 10-15 minutes in a game already lost to one of the big teams.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there can be a lot of doom and gloom among media pundits about our forward options post-Robbie. But I think we here at foot.ie sometimes seem to have our fingers on the pulse of Irish talent more than the mainstream media. I also believe more and more as the months go by that there really is a special bunch of young Irish strikers (numbering at least ten) moving through the English academy system, as they seem to take turns one-upping each other in their achievements in front of goal. And when they start to break into their respective first-teams (or go on loan spells), it will happen so fast it will make people's heads spin. We may even see the start of this process by the the end of the season - remember Connolly and Ryan Cassidy play for clubs that don't have the most prolific front-lines. And if not by the end of this season, then there is every chance we could see a few of them make a real breakthrough next season.

Oh, BTW, Daniel Mandroiu scored for the second game in a row, so we'll have to keep a close eye on him also
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 24/04/2018 at 1:13 AM.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    So I reckon we take the ten forwards plus Kelleher as goalkeeper and we create Irish total football. We mightn't win many games, but it certainly would be exciting and different!

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    In the U23 thread, I said after Aaron Drinan's hat-trick on April 9th, that he was officially our most exciting striking prospect (for the month of April at least). Two weeks, two games and five goals later, it appears that Aaron Connolly must have read my post and said "Challenge Accepted!" I know what people have said about the tough run-in, but there must be a case for Hughton bringing him into the matchday squad before the end of the season, even if it's just to give him 10-15 minutes in a game already lost to one of the big teams.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there can be a lot of doom and gloom among media pundits about our forward options post-Robbie. But I think we here at foot.ie sometimes seem to have our fingers on the pulse of Irish talent more than the mainstream media. I also believe more and more as the months go by that there really is a special bunch of young Irish strikers (numbering at least ten) moving through the English academy system, as they seem to take turns one-upping each other in their achievements in front of goal. And when they start to break into their respective first-teams (or go on loan spells), it will happen so fast it will make people's heads spin. We may even see the start of this process by the the end of the season - remember Connolly and Ryan Cassidy play for clubs that don't have the most prolific front-lines. And if not by the end of this season, then there is every chance we could see a few of them make a real breakthrough next season.

Oh, BTW, Daniel Mandroiu scored for the second game in a row, so we'll have to keep a close eye on him also
    We’ll just crack up mentally if we have too many goalscorers . It’ll be too much for us . We won’t be able to cope . I’m starting to sweat all ready .....only kidding....here's hoping .

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    So I reckon we take the ten forwards plus Kelleher as goalkeeper and we create Irish total football. We mightn't win many games, but it certainly would be exciting and different!
    We play 3-3-4, change three forwards on the hour and rotate every game

Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    We’ll just crack up mentally if we have too many goalscorers . It’ll be too much for us . We won’t be able to cope . I’m starting to sweat all ready .....only kidding....here's hoping .
    I know - I get a little lightheaded when I read about Connolly getting a hat-trick and Cassidy scoring on the same night (with Shane McLoughlin scoring a penalty - and he's probably our 15th biggest hope)

15. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Scored the 2nd today as Brighton got promoted to Premier league 2 - 1.

U23: 69: GOOAALL!! GET IN THERE! Connolly glances a header home from close range after Sanders finds the Irishman inside the penalty area with a delightful cross. #AVFC 0 #BHAFC 2 #PL2 https://t.co/7p5mfvDCSB

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Well done to Connolly - any chance of him showing up in Sunday's squad or is it too late at this stage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Aaron Connolly aims to step up a level for club and country: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/170...b-and-country/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    2 today again Chelsea. be great if he got out on loan in Jan

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    2 today again Chelsea. be great if he got out on loan in Jan
    He might get promoted to the first team. But a good loan move would do him the world of good. Rotherham or millwall maybe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Hughton mentioned Connolly in his press conference this week. Brighton's U23s playing Everton tonight, be interesting if he's included in the squad

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Got one tonight against everton

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Got one tonight against everton
    Outstanding stuff from Connolly - that's 11 goals in 11 games for Brighton's U23s/U21s. He's also 3 clear at the top pr the PL2 goal scoring charts. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon of demanding that MON starts calling up talented teenagers just because Ryan Giggs does it, but Connolly's progress should be monitored closely. Hopefully Hughton will start thinking soon about what the next step forward is for Connolly - a proper chance in the FA Cup in January? A decent loan move, perhaps to a League One club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Strange to think he was omitted from the recent under 19s qualifiers, and he wasn't happy about it either. I know the three wins speak for themselves, and point to the strength in depth at that level, but it's still weird

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Strange to think he was omitted from the recent under 19s qualifiers, and he wasn't happy about it either. I know the three wins speak for themselves, and point to the strength in depth at that level, but it's still weird
    was there some talk he was suspended for the first game?

Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast