Thread: Aaron Connolly F Hull b.2000

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Down to lack of options
    What do you mean? Ogbene has scored 3 goals and Robinson has scored 7 under a very poor period for Ireland.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    What do you mean? Ogbene has scored 3 goals and Robinson has scored 7 under a very poor period for Ireland.
    Robinson is a poor player who has the odd good game.

Ogbene is a half decent winger with a great attitude, tries hard but is limited.

Neither are really strikers and we are awful when the 2 of them play together up front

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    All responses true but it was the very poor defending that stood out. Nothing unobvious really. Perhaps he's found his level
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    All responses true but it was the very poor defending that stood out. Nothing unobvious really. Perhaps he's found his level
    If his level is getting 2 goals every week in the Championship that would be a disaster alright

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Robinson is a poor player who has the odd good game.

Ogbene is a half decent winger with a great attitude, tries hard but is limited.

Neither are really strikers and we are awful when the 2 of them play together up front
    Maybe but they've done a lot more than Parrott, Idah and Connolly when playing for Ireland! It is great to see a tough decision has to be made though. More evidence that our squad is not as bad as made out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Maybe but they've done a lot more than Parrott, Idah and Connolly when playing for Ireland! It is great to see a tough decision has to be made though. More evidence that our squad is not as bad as made out.
    The comparison of the front 2 of Ogbene and Robinson against Ukraine at home vs Parrott and Obafemi against Scotland a couple of days later couldn't be clearer.

Too often due to injuries Kenny has been missing an out and out striker and it makes a massive difference. Hopefully in future that won't happen again.

And btw Parrott has 4 goals for the seniors at age of 20 compared to Robinsons 8 at age of 27, so I don't think its correct to say Robinson has done a lot more than Parrott when playing for Ireland.

I should also add that Ogbene has 1 less goal than Parrott... so again, has not done a lot more
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 28/01/2023 at 8:29 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    The comparison of the front 2 of Ogbene and Robinson against Ukraine at home vs Parrott and Obafemi against Scotland a couple of days later couldn't be clearer.

Too often due to injuries Kenny has been missing an out and out striker and it makes a massive difference. Hopefully in future that won't happen again.

And btw Parrott has 4 goals for the seniors at age of 20 compared to Robinsons 8 at age of 27, so I don't think its correct to say Robinson has done a lot more than Parrott when playing for Ireland.

I should also add that Ogbene has 1 less goal than Parrott... so again, has not done a lot more
    I'm not giving my opinion on this, I'm just showing you it's a difficult choice. I notice you left out Idah and Connolly in the comparison and only focused on Parrott. And Parrott has only scored 1 competitive goal. Sorry, I'm not meaning to put you back in your box. I'm just pointing out the decision is not as clear cut as you think. Robinson has done a lot more for Ireland than Connolly, Idah and Parrott. Ogbene has done a bit more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Putting me back in my box? Idah and Connolly have had a lot of injuries and other issues. At their best are far better options and are also far far younger.

I just don't rate Robinson at all, his club career goal record is also dismal

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Putting me back in my box? Idah and Connolly have had a lot of injuries and other issues. At their best are far better options and are also far far younger.

I just don't rate Robinson at all, his club career goal record is also dismal
    Yeah, don't take me correcting you the wrong way. I'm going to have to do it again. If you're including club career goal records as part of your decision then Parrott, Idah and Connolly don't really have great records.

Age shouldn't come into it. You pick your best players, full stop. And who your best players are is a subjective decision, a difficult one in this case as I've said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Sunshine, you aren't correcting me. You are offering an opinion that I disagree with. Correcting me would imply that I'm factually wrong...

You just want to put forward the opinion that Robinson is good to back up your opinion that Kenny has had a strong squad. I'm surprised you aren't saying he would be in the 2002 WC squad

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Sunshine, you aren't correcting me. You are offering an opinion that I disagree with. Correcting me would imply that I'm factually wrong...

You just want to put forward the opinion that Robinson is good to back up your opinion that Kenny has had a strong squad. I'm surprised you aren't saying he would be in the 2002 WC squad
    I'm not giving an opinion. Just stating fact. I had to correct you on the Parrott thing and using players club records.

I haven't given any opinion on Robinson being good or bad. This is me correcting you again but as I said, don't take this the wrong way. I'm not having a go at you.

It will be interesting to see who does get selected. Hopefully Connolly keeps banging them in to make it even more difficult a decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    On Parrott, I just gave the fact that his goal record for Ireland is better than Ogbene and only 4 less than Robinson despite being 7 years younger when you said they were much better for Ireland. So enough with the nonsense that you had to correct me

I just mentioned Robinsons club career to back up my opinion that he's crap.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    On Parrott, I just gave the fact that his goal record for Ireland is better than Ogbene and only 4 less than Robinson despite being 7 years younger when you said they were much better for Ireland. So enough with the nonsense that you had to correct me

I just mentioned Robinsons club career to back up my opinion that he's crap.
    Ok, relax. You take things too personally. Parrott has scored 1 competitive goal for Ireland as I already informed you and using club statistics to rule out Robinson in favour of others with similar or worse records doesn't really add up but it's all ok. It's the internet, it doesn't matter if someone corrects you or not. This is a good day for us with Connolly making his comeback and things are looking up for us with attacking options in mind. Smile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Something about nothing that you manufactured to complain about that no one else would, so that you try to make yourself out to be the contrarian smart guy.... either that or something about his accent?
    I think somewhere between Castlerea and Cricklewood, even the man himself will be laughing at that one!!

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    The issue with Ogbene I think is that he’s at his best out wide. And in the 5-3-2, we don’t really play that attacking player. There was a period where it was a 5-2-3 with Ogbene on the right, Idah in the centre and one of Robinson, Knight, Connolly or McGrath on the left - when both players had their successful spell.

Both Robinson and Ogbene probably functioned better in that system, Ogbene just running at people and Robinson cutting in from the left wing. Whereas Parrott and Obafemi are better with 2 up top.

I’d like to see him play at some point as a right wing back. There’s so much emphasis on the wing backs in that system - where 8 of your 10 players are central and you need so much from them. If Doherty is injured, we’ve played either Coleman or Browne there and you’d like a more attacking option available to you.

It’s tough though, there’s so few international games, and virtually no friendlies. It’s almost impossible to experiment in the ways you could previously

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Connolly is such a decisive figure.

44 pages on this thread. Without checking I'd guess his last goal was at least 15 pages ago.

Id thought along with most that once the Boro and Venice loans failed that he wasn't going to be the player we'd hoped. Funny how fast things can change.

Hopefully he can continue this form by scoring another chunk of goals for Hull. Would be good to see him play 50 games in the next year and consolidate himself at this level.

Would have thought the thread would have been a lot more positive given what he did today but at least there's some balance and he'll need to do the same a bunch more times until he's going change the discourse around him among Irish supporters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    Connolly is such a decisive figure.

44 pages on this thread. Without checking I'd guess his last goal was at least 15 pages ago...
    He scored yesterday, on the previous page. Way to tell everyone your opinion is worthless.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    How many goals do we think he’d need to score for Brighton to have him as part of their squad next season. Just as a thought experiment. QPR have 17 games left.

I reckon if he scored another 16 goals that would get him there. (18 in total)

I think a realistic target for him would be another 8 (10 in total) - basically a goal every 2 games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    A goal every other game would do it IMO

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    How many goals do we think he’d need to score for Brighton to have him as part of their squad next season. Just as a thought experiment. QPR have 17 games left.

I reckon if he scored another 16 goals that would get him there. (18 in total)

I think a realistic target for him would be another 8 (10 in total) - basically a goal every 2 games
    With one year left on his contract they'll be shopping him around to make a few quid if he has a decent end to the season scoring wise.

Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast