Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jayson Molumby M West Brom b.1999

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Hes doing OK in 1st half. Nice and tidy on the ball and looks to keep possession, bar one long ball he tried over the top that was too long. Pretty much a non event of a game though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Molumby really grew into that first half. United dominated possession for first twenty or so, he saw little of the ball but held his position and United created pretty little. Since though, he has got on the ball more, very confident receiving it in tight spots and has played some lovely crisp passes. McTominay has given United the lead though with a header from a set piece just before half time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Holding his own this far.

Certainly doesn't appear to be out of his depth.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Subbed off after the third goal. Played well though I thought.

It's decision time now as to whether they keep him or let him go for the season.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Subbed off after the third goal. Played well though I thought.

It's decision time now as to whether they keep him or let him go for the season.
    I didn't see the 2nd half. Do you think he was replaced with an eye towards the weekend or that Brighton lost control of midfield?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I didn't see the 2nd half. Do you think he was replaced with an eye towards the weekend or that Brighton lost control of midfield?
    Brighton dominated the ball in the second half, but United brought on the big guns and the second goal finished it really. Molumby was only replaced by another young midfielder so I don't think it was the wrestle back any control, probably just giving the other guy some game time.

He wasn't as involved as he had been in the latter part of the first half though, bar one good moment when his tenacious work at the edge of the United box almost created an equaliser, but for a fine save from Henderson. Molumby had overrun the ball initially while trying to tee himself up for a shot, but it was an impressive recovery.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Yes I think it was just to give 10 minutes to a younger player as the game was over as a contest at that stage. Definitely wouldn't see it as a criticism of the way Molumby played because he played well. But I wouldn't necessarily see it as resting him ahead of a start at the weekend either.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    The recovery Del is referring to was awesome. There was about 3 moments when it looked like he had lost the ball and he somehow hacked it out to the corner of the box on the right.

I thought he looked good. A few very good moments but mostly very assured and kept things moving back and sideways and forward when he could. Showed for the ball a lot and rarely if ever lost it.

It was the performance I had hoped he'd give against Finland.

He really does remind me of Roy Keane still. There was one stage where he got past the forwards to chase the united centre backs and in turn Henderson. He's got serious determination. A nice amount of quality.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    I felt on occasion he was taking the easy option. 9 times out of 10 it was a 3 yard sideways pass. There were definitely moments where a more progression option was on offer but he played it ultra safe.

Maybe that’s him reacting to instructions or whatever, but that’d be my one criticism.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I felt on occasion he was taking the easy option. 9 times out of 10 it was a 3 yard sideways pass. There were definitely moments where a more progression option was on offer but he played it ultra safe.

Maybe that’s him reacting to instructions or whatever, but that’d be my one criticism.
    I do agree with you. I like Glenn Whelan but there were hints of Glenn Whelan regressing to his instinct of sideways and backwards passing patterns. I'll take it though. I think he was assured enough to demonstrate to Potter that he's not out of place against PL opposition. Will be interesting to see if Potter thinks that is enough.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I think it reasonably likely that was asked to do a disciplined sitting job in front of the back three and to keep his passing simple, with Gross given a licence to get forward more and be a little more expansive. At least that is how it appeared to me.

I think Molumby had a fine game in the role he was given, keeping the ball moving well and his passing (to which the statistics attest) very accurate.

I was very encouraged by his performance. But I guess you can't please everyone.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I think the tone of the posts has been that everyone has been pleased? Plenty positive aspects picked out and one aspect which I wouldn't think is negative. There's nothing wrong with a balanced assessment.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Fair enough; balance is always good. My point is that Molumby was probably asked to perform a specific role that involved him keeping his passing simple and not giving the ball away in dangerous areas, and did did so with maturity.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Fwiw, I thought he took the progressive pass when it was 'obviously' on, might have missed a couple that ES saw. He was looking for the forward pass at times and looked frustrated as he had to resort to the sideways ball due to lack of options. The two times he gave possession away was when he tried to force it actually.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    There was a beautifully weighted clip to the back post by Dan Burns which was very nice as well. Didn't quite come off but was close.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Fwiw, I thought he took the progressive pass when it was 'obviously' on, might have missed a couple that ES saw. He was looking for the forward pass at times and looked frustrated as he had to resort to the sideways ball due to lack of options. The two times he gave possession away was when he tried to force it actually.
    I will say, I only watched from around the 25 minute mark onwards. I did text my little cousin, who is a united fan, when I turned it on, to ask how he was getting on, and got a two word response: “pretty quiet”, so I assumed I hadn’t missed much...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I will say, I only watched from around the 25 minute mark onwards. I did text my little cousin, who is a united fan, when I turned it on, to ask how he was getting on, and got a two word response: “pretty quiet”, so I assumed I hadn’t missed much...
    No I'd agree with your little cousin, he had really only held his position up until that point, couple of touches at most. United dominated the ball early on.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I think Molumby looks the best of our young players at present. His movement is very good, he always looks so composed and comfortable on the ball and he puts his foot in when required without giving away free kicks half the time. Connolly still looks very raw in comparison but unfortunately for Molumby Brighton have a number of midfielders fighting for a limited set of positions.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Yep he is already a good player. By the time the WC qualifiers start I would be of the view he will be ahead of Conor and arter anyway

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    disappointed to see him not included in the squad at all today, loan might be the best option...

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast