International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Going back to Millwall.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39551387.html

Disappointing as I thought he was good enough for the Premiership now..
    Its a good move for him, he's still only 21 so playing in Championship is ok. Millwall fans love him and they might make a push for playoffs if Parrott is scoring goals.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    A sensible move for all concerned, you would have thought. I was looking through Brighton's first-team squad the other day and they've got so many midfield options, even taking into account Stephens' departure, that it would of been very difficult to see Molumby getting any more than the odd cup game.

Let's just hope he brings his pre-shutdown form. He lost a bit of momentum after the restart.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Good move. The boy has a sensible head. He’s not ready for premiership yet. Millwall are going well, hopefully he can slot quickly into their midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Disappointing he couldn't break into the Brighton picture but a sensible decision. It does kind of show how far some of these lads have to come to reach anywhere near the consistent level of somebody like James McCarthy, who's been labelled 'much of a muchness' by some versus our other midfield options. McCarthy was playing regular PL football at 19 and has remained there ever since despite some major setbacks. Molumby obviously had a setback of his own but at 21, if he's as a good a we're hoping he'll be, it's a bit disappointing he can't break into a squad as average as Brighton's. Then again, maybe it's just poor judgement from Potter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Disappointing he couldn't break into the Brighton picture but a sensible decision. It does kind of show how far some of these lads have to come to reach anywhere near the consistent level of somebody like James McCarthy, who's been labelled 'much of a muchness' by some versus our other midfield options. McCarthy was playing regular PL football at 19 and has remained there ever since despite some major setbacks.
    McCarthy was singled out, along with MacArthur, as to being central to Palaces win at Utd last weekend on MOTD2. His pressure of the Utd. players and ability to track back so well was highlighted.
    He has been up and down for us but that simply reinforces my view that we don't seem to get the best out of our players consistently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Has McCarthy been up and down for us or has he been surrounded by lesser players and overstretched? MacArthur is a very solid player and the two players have spent the bulk of their career playing together. It boggles my mind that some on here consider to suggest he's much of a muchness.

I think the let down for some people is that they expect to see him doing more going forward. I'd like to see that too, but he does such a good job as a holding midfielder, if that's all he does that's fantastic. As I've described -- in terms his biggest fans wouldn't appreciate -- a deluxe version of Glenn Whelan.

My assessment is that some want him to be a version of Roy Keane or Gerrard, winning the ball then driving the team forward. He might have had potential to be that guy at one point but I don't see that now. He's an excellent holding midfielder, but whether through his own limitations or those imposed on him by his managers, doesn't show as much ambition driving forward.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Well, I’m often underwhelmed by McCarthy and that’s not my expectation of him at all. I just think he looks more confident, assertive and comfortable at club level. Of course it helps that he has such a good understanding with McArthur and, let’s face it, generally better players ahead of him, but it’s just that his general impact always seems greater for his club. Like I always say, Trap was probably right about him being “shy” (on the pitch). But in fairness, he has been out so long I have probably forgotten his better moments for us. And I certainly haven’t forgotten Lille.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    This seems to indicate that the loan to Millwall is not as far along as the initial article suggested:

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/76840-76840/

Stephens transfer to Burnley has more or less being confirmed now.

Surely he will get a few games at Brighton this season considering:

- Propper's lack of form at the end of last season. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was sold before
    the current or January transfer window ends.

- Bissouma's current suspension and the likelihood with his aggressive playing style that he will pick
    up more suspensions during the season.

- Lallana's injury record and the fact he looks past his best (though I admit this remains to be seen).

- Alzate still being unproven over a long period at this level. Considering his inexperience the
    conventional wisdom would suggest he will have a bad spell and need a break from the first team.
    Last edited by youngirish; 23/09/2020 at 8:52 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Will Jayson Molumby now face Manchester United?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/187...hester-united/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Will Jayson Molumby now face Manchester United?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/187...hester-united/
    A very difficult start to your Premiership career if that's the case. Up against Pogba and Fernandes. Surely a bit more experience is needed for this game in midfield than Molumby and Alzate?

On the plus side if it is true it shows a complete turnaround regarding Potter's attitude regarding Molumby over the past week or so. From not even making the match day squads to possibly starting against one of the top four teams in the league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    A difficult ask of Molumby for sure, if that is Potter's intention.

Reminiscent of Farke playing Idah up front on his own at Old Trafford last season.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I dunno. United's midfield was rubbish last weekend, so it could be a good time to play them.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Alzate and Lallana in Brighton’s midfield..... think we will be seeing Jayson before the end. No Propper on bench.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Gross on ahead of him...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    He's in danger of falling into the middle ground between not been highly enough rated yet to get game time but not being far enough down the pecking order to be allowed to go on loan. Hopefully he gets first team football soon one way or the other.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I’d favor championship loan at this stage, another 40 plus senior games this season would be fantastic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Considering he was an unused sub today, it's strange that Molumby didn't even make the matchday squad for the PNE game.

Apparently it was 'precautionary' with today's match in mind. I can only conclude that Potter's incredibly risk-averse.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Starting against United tonight in the cup. Hopefully puts in a good shift. I've high hopes for this man.
    Last edited by youngirish; 30/09/2020 at 6:14 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Dier is about
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Great test for him, hopefully not too big a test. Risk of being out numbered in there with the way United are set up, two combative midfielders in Fred and McTominay, with Van der Beek and Mata likely to drop into central areas too.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast