Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 2 September 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Brexit will make no difference to us as regards players playing in the UK any more than not being members of the EU affects Africans, South Americans etc playing the the EPL.
    Actually that could potentially have a huge impact on us - Home Office visa rules for non-EU players from a country ranked 31-50 (where we are) states that they must have played in 75% of their country's international games in the previous two years (http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35919247). So we've played 20 games in 2016 and 2017 - of the 39 players called up to the provisional squad for the Georgia and Serbia games, the following players would not have been granted visas: Colin Doyle, John O'Shea, Paul McShane, Stephen Ward (1 cap short), Greg Cunningham, John Egan, Matt Doherty, Kevin Long, Glenn Whelan (2 caps short), Jeff Hendrick (1 short), David Meyler, Stephen Quinn, Jonny Hayes, Daryl Horgan, Conor Hourihane, Alan Browne. So that's 17 who would be affected (assuming Sean Maguire got a UK passport based on being born in Luton) - plus EVERY OTHER PLAYER BORN IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND WHO PLAYS OR ASPIRES TO PLAY IN THE UK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

If you go back a couple of years, Dan Cleary and Alex O'Hanlon both scored for Liverpool in the UEFA Youth League; Cleary went on to make the bench in a Europa League tie. Now they're at Solihull Moors and St Pat's. Fiacre Kelleher (5 years at Celtic) is at Solihull too.
    Just on Alex O'Hanlon. I've seen him quite a bit for Pats, and he isn't nearly good enough for our first team (a first team having an awful season.)It astounds me that he was ever at Liverpool. Maybe he's regressed big time since he was a youngster.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Nobody knows what will happen with brexit. I would personally expect it to increase the number of British players in many teams. This will have an impact on us.

I did hear the end of a 5 live conversation last year after the brexit vote which noted that it is likely to result in a tightening of restrictions on younger foreign players in the academys of British clubs. A Naby Keita or proven top international talent like a Morata isn't going to stop coming to the premiership under their current visa requirements,but i do think it will result in less of our players at the academys of the Liverpools or Uniteds of this world. The "premier league product" won't be allowed be run in to the ground by Sky and the powers that be,but i do see us being impacted on more than other countries as england is currently a finishing school for nearly all our players.

In the long term,it may be a blessing as some seriously talented lads may delay leaving Ireland and it means we have to get our act together by building our own academies.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Just on Alex O'Hanlon. I've seen him quite a bit for Pats, and he isn't nearly good enough for our first team (a first team having an awful season.)It astounds me that he was ever at Liverpool. Maybe he's regressed big time since he was a youngster.
    He went to Liverpool as a left full back but by the time he made their 18s that seemed to be shelved and he was left wing or centre mid . Where does he play for ye? Any idea where his best position might be?Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Nobody knows what will happen with brexit. I would personally expect it to increase the number of British players in many teams. This will have an impact on us.

I did hear the end of a 5 live conversation last year after the brexit vote which noted that it is likely to result in a tightening of restrictions on younger foreign players in the academys of British clubs. A Naby Keita or proven top international talent like a Morata isn't going to stop coming to the premiership under their current visa requirements,but i do think it will result in less of our players at the academys of the Liverpools or Uniteds of this world. The "premier league product" won't be allowed be run in to the ground by Sky and the powers that be,but i do see us being impacted on more than other countries as england is currently a finishing school for nearly all our players.

In the long term,it may be a blessing as some seriously talented lads may delay leaving Ireland and it means we have to get our act together by building our own academies.
    If Brexit leads to a reduction in the number of foreign players being imported by English clubs due to difficulties for them in acquiring a visa, but the Common Travel Area between Ireland and Britain remains in place (as is the purported ambition of the UK government and the declared hope of the Irish government), that might well benefit young Irish players in that it would potentially free up space for them in English academies. Irish citizens would still have the same residency rights as UK citizens and wouldn't require a visa to move to the UK if the CTA is maintained.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Ken Early was watching the game with a family member and when one of our players took a throw she remarked "he looks out of shape".

I wonder who she was referring to.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I've seen him a few times as I usually got to Pats when I can't get to Rovers away games. He's clearly talented but very lightweight. Compare him to Forrester, who didn't get over to England but got loads of senior football instead, he just looks underdeveloped.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Ken Early was watching the game with a family member and when one of our players took a throw she remarked "he looks out of shape".

I wonder who she was referring to.
    Well Christie and Ward take 95% of our throw-ins so probably one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Highlights
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314