Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 2 September 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    So what is everyone predicting?

Ireland 1-1 Georgia
    Serbia 3-1 Ireland

Panic ensues.
    why did we cede home advantage to Serbia? Have Austria or Wales objected?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    The home team should be mentioned second. When you are hosting your infamous dinner parties do you serve yourself first? Have some manners dear man.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    We'll win. Nothing spectacular, 1-0.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

Ireland 1-1 Georgia
    Serbia 3-1 Ireland

Panic ensues.
    A 'road game' to Serbia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    A safe 8-0 win over Georgia after a nervy 80 minutes followed by throwing in the towel against Serbia. We'll sh!t the togs at home and only win 3-0.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Georgia 1-1 Ireland
    Ireland 1-0 Serbia
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Georgia 7 Ireland 8
    Ireland 10 Serbia 11

That's what I think of predictions

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    I have a feeling that our big lads will find the net from set pieces tomorrow night, and more than once. Duffy, Clark, Ward and Walters are all capable of causing Georgia problems, or any defense for that matter. Recalling the performance in Austria, Harry Arter was quite influential. I think we'll see a similar game from him tomorrow night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    I've a strange feeling about Ward myself, think he might be a decent outside bet to score in 90 minutes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I thought the game was tomorrow Tets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Players who are one booking away from a suspension:

Ward
    Whelan
    Coleman
    Walters
    Duffy
    Brady
    Meyler
    McGeady

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Walters would be serious and we need one of Brady or Ward, the rest we can live with if they get suspended for Serbia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Speaking of Coleman, when will he be back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I fear tomorrow will be a really tight and cumbersome game. It'll be hard work and hard to watch. I don't think it'll be pretty. Just hoping we have enough to rise to the occasion and pull us over the line for a crucial three points. It would set us up nicely for what could turn out to be the group-decider on Tuesday night. Even if we do end up finishing second, three points tomorrow should certainly help ensure we won't end up being the ninth-best second-place finisher who'll miss out on the play-offs.

Georgia's manager Vladimir Weiss clearly regards Georgia as technically superior to us:

"[Ireland] are a strong team, maybe not technical like our team, but they are strong physically."

He's probably justified in his thinking. They played better football than us in the home game that we scraped through.

Wes needs to start for us really in order to give us the best chance of snatching victory. Under O'Neill, we've won an average of 2.08 points per game when Wes has started, but have an average of 1.3 points per game when Wes hasn't been in the starting eleven. He's been crucial to so many important goals during O'Neill's tenure as well.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    We have played ex soviet republics in 10 qualifiers ties, out of the 20 games played we only dropped points once, in a drawn game.
    W19 D1 L0
    Isn't Russia technically a former Soviet republic? We lost to them twice and have drawn with them twice in competitive games (all Euro qualifiers): https://www.11v11.com/teams/republic...sition/Russia/

Who did we draw against out of the 20 you mention?

Speaking of Coleman, when will he be back?
    Possibly by Christmas: https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...-early-return/

He's back in outdoor training.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    As far as I know that's irrelevant. As he was born in England and didn't have an Irish passport until recently (if he does) he has to apply for a change of nationality. UCD player Maxi Kouogun was born in Cameroon and wanted to play for Ireland at underage level but couldn't because Cameroon wouldn't cooperate with FIFA to transfer his nationality.

Danny or geysir might have a better explanation than I do.
    From what Yann Hafner told me, I understand article 7 applies to Hogan as he is assuming a new nationality. As far as I know, this means that the English FA must confirm to FIFA - via the provision of some sort of documentation or statement - that Hogan was never fielded by them in order to establish or substantiate his eligibility to play for the FAI. How long this process might take, I'm not sure, but I would imagine it could be anywhere between a number of days and a few weeks, depending on the urgency of the association concerned.

Here are two posts of mine on Maxi Kouogun's case (that may feature some helpful/relevant info, as far as Hogan's case is concerned) after I consulted Yann Hafner about it at the time:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I asked Yann what he thought of Kouogun's case and he speculated that the delay might be due to the national federation of Cameroon having (and failing up to now) to provide FIFA with a statement confirming that Kouogun was never fielded by them.
    Had sent Yann another email just to pose some further questions but he's re-stated that, based on available info, Kouogan's case "seems perfectly legit". There should be no issue, as far as FIFA are concerned, in granting an exemption, so long as procedural matters are satisfied. Interestingly, he did inform me that the exemption mechanism was introduced only about three or four years ago, around 2013. I hadn't been aware of this.

I also raised the matter again of what actually effects a switch and he seems to be of the thinking now that it is the granting of the switch request, which would mean Jack Grealish, just to use an example, is now irreversibly tied. Yann's thinking appears to have changed although he didn't speak to the head of the PSC about it unfortunately. This would seem to conform with statements from FAI sources (if I recall correctly) a few months ago stating that once Grealish's switch would be granted, there'd be no going back on it. Indeed, it would also conform with the literal wording of article 8.1 which states that a player "may, only once, request to change the association for which he is eligible to play international matches".
    Yann was merely speculating as to the reason for the delay there, mind. Perhaps geysir is in the know when he says that FIFA were simply waiting for proof that Kouogan wasn't imported for football reasons?

Nevertheless, in the case of Hogan, I still think (based upon what Yann told me previously) that the FA would have to provide a statement, although I don't believe his assuming of Irish nationality would be regarded by FIFA as a formal switch of association considering he's never played for any association at all yet, to the best of my knowledge. In theory, it's possible Hogan could acquire an Irish passport now, line out for us in an upcoming friendly and then switch to England at some point in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Who did we draw against out of the 20 you mention?
    I remember we drew 0-0 in a qualifier at home to Lithuania. I think it was the campaign when Romania stream rolled our group.

I guess technically you're right about Russia. My crude political and geographical mind would kind of consider Russia to have been what was left once all the others broke away though.

We could do with John Aldridge today, I'd say he racked up half his international goals tally against the former Soviet countries, Latvia being his most prominent victim.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Ed Leahy reckons O'Neill may go with Wes based on the following comment by O'Neill: "We have to keep the ball well in these [warm] conditions."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Leahy
    Did Martin O’Neill unintentionally show his hand ahead of this away encounter in Georgia?

The Ireland manager will rarely release even the most minute of details ahead of kick-off but perhaps his reference to the expected warm weather in Tblisi, saying, "we have to keep the ball well in these conditions," is an indication that Wes Hoolahan may be given the nod to start.

Ball retention is one of Ireland’s perennial weaknesses, and has been evident throughout the campaign, yet whenever Hoolahan plays, the entire team takes on a completely different complexion.
    I hope he's right.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Could be right. I think he will play Wes or Hourihane in midfield. Hourihane is such a goal threat away from home when none of our forwards are really firing.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Ireland 1-1 Georgia
    Serbia 3-1 Ireland

Panic ensues.
    Just hoping for a win from the Georgia game, we are expected to win, well we are 4/5 so it is a almost a coin flip to win.

The only headline out of that one is a bad result for Ireland. If we win it is expected, mind you I am not even sure of that!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast