Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 2 September 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    We only took Peyton and Bonner to Italia 90, and I think only Kelly and Bonner to USA. You sure about 1990?
    Yep - three was par for the course in 1990 in that 22 of the 24 countries had 3 keepers in the squad. 1986 was the same, and every nation had three keepers in 1982. (It wasn't compulsory until 1998 - but it was par for the course)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Er, I dunno....do what every club team does in similar circumstances. Play an outfield player in goal. And what would happen if he got injured? You could go on with that logic forever and name ten goalkeepers. All joking aside, I think two goalies is enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Bonner mentioned back in the 90's that we were the only squad at WC90 without a dedicated goalkeeping coach. Himself and Gerry Peyton used just go through paces themselves. I think by 94 Gerry had himself become the goalkeeping coach for Packie and Alan Kelly.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Kelly omission is awful. He's exactly the type of player we need in the team. He should at least have made the squad. John O'Shea, not good enough to start for a mediocre Championship team, is effectively occupying Kelly's place. And why are there 3 goalkeepers in a squad for two games?
    I'd question whether you know the meaning of the word 'effectively'.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    So when do we get word that someone has tweaked a groin in training? Should be any minute now, no? Like clockwork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The Kelly omission is strange, he is exactly what we need and I have to say Scott Hogan not being able to get a passport in time is criminal, for urgent situations its 10 days max... he declared at least 14 days ago
    IIRC there is more to this than just getting a passport and showing up at Dublin airport. Because he has previously played for England at underage levels he is obliged to write to fifa informing them he wants to declare for Ireland and there is FIFA paperwork to be completed.

If i were a more cynical man I might suggest that the mini-flurry of declarations we are seeing is linked to our position in the group and the turnaround time of fifa meaning it is getting tight to have a declaration made, the paperwork done, and be involved before the end of qualifying (to have a decent claim to a world cup spot).
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Because he has previously played for England at underage levels
    Has he though ?

Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    If i were a more cynical man I might suggest that the mini-flurry of declarations we are seeing is linked to our position in the group
    Wonder how many more will the rub of the green calling them if we close out a spot at the finals ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    No i dont agree tbh. i think it is just about getting your passport and turning up at Dublin airport, as he never played for England at any level

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Has he though ?
    As far as I know that's irrelevant. As he was born in England and didn't have an Irish passport until recently (if he does) he has to apply for a change of nationality. UCD player Maxi Kouogun was born in Cameroon and wanted to play for Ireland at underage level but couldn't because Cameroon wouldn't cooperate with FIFA to transfer his nationality.

Danny or geysir might have a better explanation than I do.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    if we assume Serbia beat Moldova at home, what's the best result for us in the Wales - Austria game?
    A draw would be the most obvious option, but a win for Austria might also work in our favour, should we beat Georgia and draw with or lose to Serbia as they would still have something to play for when they play Serbia at home, while Wales could be out of it by the time we travel to Cardiff, improving our chances of topping the group. Either way, it really is vital that we beat Georgia. If we can eke out a victory, we'll be in a position where we can go all out for victory against Serbia knowing that we'd still have second place in our own hands if Serbia were to beat us. On the other hand, dropped points on Saturday would leave us chasing Serbia while nervously looking over our shoulders at whoever wins between Austria and Wales and further dropped points against Serbia would leave us in a dogfight for second.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    As far as I know that's irrelevant. As he was born in England and didn't have an Irish passport until recently (if he does) he has to apply for a change of nationality. UCD player Maxi Kouogun was born in Cameroon and wanted to play for Ireland at underage level but couldn't because Cameroon wouldn't cooperate with FIFA to transfer his nationality.

Danny or geysir might have a better explanation than I do.
    Afair about Maxi, it has absolutely nothing to do with Cameroon, he's an immigrant, he arrived to Ireland when he was a baby and Fifa wanted proof that he wasn't imported for football reasons. Go figure!

His Cameroon nationality would have been nullified once he became an Irish citizen.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Is Paul o'Shea gone permanently from here? It's strange not having POSH during the build up to these massive clashes. I feel like Maverick did when Goose died.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    He's hitch hiking to Tiblisi, long story short he lost a bet and this is the outcome, he's ok, he checked in a couple of days back & said something like 'you're some bast*ard Crafty after this, I can hear *****ing wolves nearby' but he is on course to make kick off. God bless him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Well Dr.Peepee hasn't been on since June so maybe he is supervising the venture from a medical standpoint? I miss PeePee so much. He was like a deranged older uncle to me one 48 hours in Dublin. Most of my mates are gone from here these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Well Dr.Peepee hasn't been on since June so maybe he is supervising the venture from a medical standpoint? I miss PeePee so much. He was like a deranged older uncle to me one 48 hours in Dublin. Most of my mates are gone from here these days.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    I suspect it's time to invoke the Georgia prayer yet again, desperate times call for desperate measures. I don't think we can get the 3 points without some extra intervention.
    Like the last time, in our dying minutes, McGeady bobs and weaves, shoots and scores, when did that ever happen before and since then? It was a miracle.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    I lurk.... a lot!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    The Georgia game will be another away game where we will have to withstand a lot of pressure, grow frustrated about how badly we are playing and then hopefully nick one and then have a few goal line clearances.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 31/08/2017 at 2:09 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The Georgia game will be another away game where we will have to withstand a lot of pressure, grow frustrated about how badly we are playing and then hopefully nick one and then have a few goal line clearances.
    We have played ex soviet republics in 10 qualifiers ties, out of the 20 games played we only dropped points once, in a drawn game.
    W19 D1 L0

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    So what is everyone predicting?

Ireland 1-1 Georgia
    Serbia 3-1 Ireland

Panic ensues.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast