Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts

Colin Doyle

Steve Claridge's latest report on a young Irishman:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/20...gham_city.html

All's well that ends well. Colin Doyle has certainly been a busy boy in recent weeks as Birmingham finally secured promotion after one of the most turbulent seasons in their history. Just to give you an idea of how big a part Doyle has played in their recent run, he signed a new four-year contract the day after Blues played Wolves late last month and such has his impact been that Arsène Wenger is reportedly interested in signing him.

He reminds me of Petr Cech a bit in size and stature and has an ability, like the Chelsea keeper, not to over-dramatise saves. He makes them look as easy as possible simply because his positioning for shot stopping is so good. That is not to say he wasn't fully tested at times but when he made a save there was only one example of the ball rebounding out into the danger area - the centre of the goal. On every other occasion he safely pushed the ball to the side. Too many people just look at the save but where the ball finishes up after a save when the keeper doesn't catch it is important.

His kicking was fine with either foot, though he favours his right, and his bravery was unquestioned on the two or three occasions he was called upon to dive at a player's feet. His preparation must have been good as he was called into action very early in both games, and certainly, in the Preston match, where he had to make two saves in the first few minutes.

He has what I call soft hands, meaning when he could not hold the ball on the first attempt, particularly the ones that bounced in front of him, it stayed within easy reach the second time around, instead of giving his opponent an easy chance at the rebound. He's not lazy - he got his body behind everything and made sure he moved his feet to get into position.

Two areas of improvement he must focus on are communication and mastery of his area. He needs to be more dominant because he was bullied at corners and free-kicks when the opposition put people around him. Twice he came for balls but missed them as his run was blocked. He either needs to get a team-mate to help him stop this happening or take a leaf out of Jens Lehmann's book and let opponents know he's there. He must take his share of the blame for the goal conceded at Preston which showed a lack of communication but both these shortcomings will, I am sure, be overcome with experience.

Having said that, when he wasn't blocked he was excellent at dealing with crosses in front or behind him. As with all modern keepers his reading of the game needs to be good and it was - often tidying up behind his defenders when Preston threatened over the top.

At 6ft 5in and 14st 5lbs he's got the perfect physique for a keeper and at 21 he's already a full Republic of Ireland international. He's been loaned out three times - to Chester, Nottingham Forest and Millwall - and has suffered relegation and promotion from the Championship in successive seasons. If this is a sign of things to come, life's sure not going to be dull for him in his football career.

Age 21

Born Cork, Rep of Ireland

Position Goalkeeper

Height 6ft 5in

Weight 14st 5lb

From Trainee

How he rates

Awareness 9/10

Communication 7/10

Handling 9/10

Kicking 8/10

Reflexes 9/10

Valuation £1m-£1.5m
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 08/05/2007 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    and he would've signed for Cork City if it wasnt for FIFA's pesky 6 month contract rule
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    He's incorrect in that he's not yet a full cap, but I'd agree on the communication criticism. Once or twice I've seen him try and dive at an oncoming attacker's feet when second favourite to get the ball, at risk of conceding a penalty. Some learn from experience others just keep on making the same mistake. Richard Wright springs to mind - very talented but poor decision making cost him a career at the highest level. I fear the same for Wayne Henderson.

I hope this guy goes on to make it. For all Shane Supple's ability - he's got all of Shay's raw talent - the game is trending towards the really top keepers having a height advantage. I understand Randolph & Logan are both quite big too.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 08/05/2007 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    On that note, it looks certain Randolph is going to start at Anfield on Saturday against Liverpool. The dilemma was originally should the more experienced Thomas Myhre be given the nod to play, but now that Charlton have nothing to play for, Randolph as automatic second choice should get the nod. It'll be a good experience for him and he could well be first choice next season. He's very highly rated. I can't wait to see that match, it should be very interesting.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...wn/7795100.stm

Shane Supple....still very young for a goalkeeper so plenty of time for him to come good.

Seeing that article got me thinking of Colin Doyle, I know he is second choice at B'ham but any chance of him getting the no 1 back off Taylor. Doyle was looking like the most likely successor to Given there for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    birmingham fans really rate him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I can't believe Doyle is now 3rd choice at Birmingham. Surely he should go out on loan. I seen this guy playing a few years ago and was certain that he would become No 1 for Ireland when Shay packs it in. I know he had a couple of dodgy games when Birmingham were promoted 2 years ago, but he has hardly got a game since and still no sign of him moving on?
    Always look on the bright side of life

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I can't believe Doyle is now 3rd choice at Birmingham. Surely he should go out on loan. I seen this guy playing a few years ago and was certain that he would become No 1 for Ireland when Shay packs it in. I know he had a couple of dodgy games when Birmingham were promoted 2 years ago, but he has hardly got a game since and still no sign of him moving on?
    You would think a loan move would have to be good for the lad alright.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    If we got a goalkeeping injury, who would step up to number 3? Nick Colgan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twoenz View Post
    If we got a goalkeeping injury, who would step up to number 3? Nick Colgan?
    Wayne Henderson and Brian Murphy would be next in line, the management team have been watching both. Murphy didn't help his cause by catching the ball and then falling back in to the goal the last time Trapp and Tardelli came to see him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Getting a rare runout for Birmingham in the cup today, live on Setanta if anyone interested with Westwood in goal at the other end. Coventry one up at this stage....

Looking very shaky so far to be honest.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    2-0 down.

Edit : Won 3-2 in the end.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 29/01/2011 at 5:16 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Getting a rare runout for Birmingham in the cup today, live on Setanta if anyone interested with Westwood in goal at the other end. Coventry one up at this stage....

Looking very shaky so far to be honest.....
    Who was shaky? Westwood or Doyle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I remember Doyle in Birminghams promotion year and he was superb. Had a couple of bad games in Premiership and he was dropped by Bruce. He has never had a proper run since. In fairness he looked very shaky in the first half yesterday.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Who was shaky? Westwood or Doyle?
    Doyle. Wetwood played well despite shipping 3.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    With both Irish keepers playing, I was hoping for a dour 0-0. Alas 5 goals were conceded. Westwood made a few good saves but think he might have done better for one of the goals.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    what was the name of the reading keeper of irish descent, second generation who was up for rape? He looked like a decent prospect till all that happened.

Stack, Graham stack thanks to tets app.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 30/01/2011 at 7:17 PM. Reason: found out who i was after.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Doyle and Westwood both looked uncertain coming for crosses but were otherwise assured. It was interesting that Doyle played instead of Taylor - I don't think the big German was injured, so perhaps McLeish made the decision with a view to his possible retirement/moving on in the summer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Doyle and Westwood both looked uncertain coming for crosses but were otherwise assured. It was interesting that Doyle played instead of Taylor - I don't think the big German was injured, so perhaps McLeish made the decision with a view to his possible retirement/moving on in the summer.
    You would'nt be trying to wind up some of Northern brethern by any chance

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Doyle's got all the physical ability but I don't think he has the mentality of a top keeper. A shame, as he did have a great run when Brum got promoted. He just lets in too many goals where you feel he could have done better.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast