Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: English Championship - 17/18

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    McLaren has left his present job too since the Weds job came up, id agree with you, a busted flush if ever there was one & especially with Karanka or Pearson, a Weds club man out of work.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Still the favourite but Guy Poyet's odds have shortened. Can't remember him doing a lot other than getting sacked at Sunderland. I have no idea who Danny Cowley is.

Steve McClaren
    1/2
    Gus Poyet
    7/2
    Lee Bullen
    6/1
    Paulo Fonseca
    14/1
    Nigel Pearson
    18/1
    Paul Lambert
    20/1
    Slaven Bilic
    20/1
    Garry Monk
    22/1
    Aitor Karanka
    25/1
    Andre Villas-Boas
    25/1
    Brendan Rodgers
    25/1
    Danny Cowley
    25/1
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I have no idea who Danny Cowley is.
    Lincoln City manager, fairly young fella. They had that good cup run last season when they beat Burnley, amongst others, and also won whatever the Vauxhall Conference is called these days! They are challenging for promotion from League 2 now as well, currently in third which is an automatic spot I think.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 29/12/2017 at 10:25 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I think if you drive within 50 miles of Sheffield, you become the favourite. Paul Lambert now the odds on favourite but the Chairman wants to speak to Andre Villas-Boas but apparently has to wait until Villas-Boas completes the Paris to Dakar Rally ! Meanwhile the club spirals towards the all too familiar relegation zone.

Paul Lambert
    1/4
    Steve McClaren
    5/1
    Andre Villas-Boas
    10/1
    Jose Riga
    14/1
    Claudio Ranieri
    16/1
    Gus Poyet
    16/1
    Lee Bullen
    18/1
    Costinha
    20/1
    Juan Antonio Pizzi
    20/1
    Martin O'Neill
    20/1
    Nigel Pearson
    20/1
    Paul Hurst
    20/1
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    It's unacceptable that a club the size of Wednesday could be in league 1.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    It's unacceptable that a club the size of Wednesday could be in league 1.
    I assume that this is a wind up. They spent many years of my life time in that league and but for Jack Charlton would have dropped to Division 2 (or 4 as it was then). Going in to the 18th consecutive year outside the top flight. A whole generation of Sheffield kids has never seen their club in the top tier and the way things are going, it will be a few more years yet. Their recently appointed new Chief Exec has stated that she finds it strange that supporters expect to have a say in the affairs of a club when only a third of revenue is generated by supporters. Such is the thinking of Boardrooms these days.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    That's Katrien Meire, who was remarkably unpopular during her Charlton stint. The exact quote OwlsFan refers to is thus, taken from here:

Speaking at the 2015 Web Summit technology conference in Dublin, Charlton chief executive Katrien Meire confidently outlined her vision of transforming Charlton into a “sustainable club” during her time in charge. A suitable and realistic enough goal, certainly. But her comments on the topic afforded fans an uncharacteristically candid view of the intentions of those in charge of their club and served only to further underline their greatest fears.

When remarking at length on the sense of ownership fans feel for the clubs they support, Meire said, with an enduring smile: “Fans don’t see themselves as customers, and so, whenever I now get very friendly emails from fans, they say ‘Get out of our club’ – so it’s not the shareholders’ club? I think it’s quite funny because they say they pay – obviously the ticketing system is one-third of our revenue stream – but they go to the restaurant with their family every week and they go to the cinema, but if they’re not satisfied with the product will they go and scream to the people in charge of it? No, they don’t.

“But they do it with a football club and that’s very weird because they feel a sense of ownership of a football club and that’s a really difficult balance, how you try to engage with fans and make them incorporate into some decisions of the club, but I think it’s – I mean, in the end the bill is paid by somebody else so he should have the final say.”

Meire made no mistake in eloquently communicating just how truly absurd a notion it is, in the view she shares with her employer Duchâtelet; the concept of a fan feeling as if they should retain any kind of possession over or tangible sense of kinship with the club they support.

Minutes later Meire also took the opportunity to give a brief insight into the type of future Charlton fans can look forward to, while speaking about the transparency of the club’s business plan: “[Charlton fans] will hopefully see the next stars of the Premier League which we will have play for Charlton in the first team and then probably sell on to the Premier League,” she said without reserve.

A heart-warming prospect for young fans of the Addicks. Charlton-supporting parents can eagerly anticipate being able to tell their children that their favourite players will likely only be around for long as it takes the owner to secure a healthy profit on them.
    She seemed remarkably ill-equipped for her role, just from a PR perspective if nothing else. But as that entire piece outlines, Charlton during her tenure was run poorly on a lot of fronts.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I assume that this is a wind up. They spent many years of my life time in that league and but for Jack Charlton would have dropped to Division 2 (or 4 as it was then). Going in to the 18th consecutive year outside the top flight. A whole generation of Sheffield kids has never seen their club in the top tier and the way things are going, it will be a few more years yet. Their recently appointed new Chief Exec has stated that she finds it strange that supporters expect to have a say in the affairs of a club when only a third of revenue is generated by supporters. Such is the thinking of Boardrooms these days.
    It's not a wind-up, why would I wind you up over that? Might have been more accurate to say that a city as big as Sheffield, with the support both clubs draw on, not to have one club in the top-flight, or one club managed correctly to be capable of being in the top-flight is beyond me.

Same with Leeds. Don't get me wrong, I love to see little Bournmouth or little Swansea (exaggerated patronising tone) do well, playing decent ball, but give me a Leeds or a Wednesday and 40k every week and the buzz that brings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Yes, perennial under achievers. At least Leeds though have won a few leagues in my living memory. Sheffield and Leeds population wise are in the top 10 cities in the UK https://thegeographist.wordpress.com...uk-population/ (Leeds are actually third in England much to my surprise). On the basis of population alone, Bristol must be the biggest failures.

As to the likes of Bournmouth, Watford, Swansea, Burnley et alia in the EPL, they are obviously there on merit but they devalue the league. There are too many clubs where staying up is the sole goal rather than competing for trophies. But then up to a couple of seasons ago, that was Leicester's only aim so who knows what may happen in sport but there is still too much driftwood in the EPL. Man City, Chelsea etc players getting excited scoring against the likes of Watford irritates me. It reminds me of a cricket match I played in a few years ago when the opposition were playing a fast bowler who was way too good for the standard we were playing at. He was positively dangerous and every time he took a wicket, he went delirious with joy. He bowled us out for 22 or something like that but it was a joke the difference in standard but it didn't bother him, I feel that way about 90% of the games in the EPL. Most of the clubs are just cannon fodder for the rich clubs. It wasn't always so. Man U were in the wilderness for years. Derby, Nottingham Forest etc won leagues and European trophies. Now just money and SKY talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Yes, perennial under achievers. At least Leeds though have won a few leagues in my living memory. Sheffield and Leeds population wise are in the top 10 cities in the UK https://thegeographist.wordpress.com...uk-population/ (Leeds are actually third in England much to my surprise). On the basis of population alone, Bristol must be the biggest failures.

As to the likes of Bournmouth, Watford, Swansea, Burnley et alia in the EPL, they are obviously there on merit but they devalue the league. There are too many clubs where staying up is the sole goal rather than competing for trophies. But then up to a couple of seasons ago, that was Leicester's only aim so who knows what may happen in sport but there is still too much driftwood in the EPL. Man City, Chelsea etc players getting excited scoring against the likes of Watford irritates me. It reminds me of a cricket match I played in a few years ago when the opposition were playing a fast bowler who was way too good for the standard we were playing at. He was positively dangerous and every time he took a wicket, he went delirious with joy. He bowled us out for 22 or something like that but it was a joke the difference in standard but it didn't bother him, I feel that way about 90% of the games in the EPL. Most of the clubs are just cannon fodder for the rich clubs. It wasn't always so. Man U were in the wilderness for years. Derby, Nottingham Forest etc won leagues and European trophies. Now just money and SKY talk.
    There's a storm coming. The current spend is unsustainable. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Another "outside the box" appointment. Have to admit I never hear of Jos Luhukay, who has managed extensively in the German Bundesliga with Hertha Berlin, VFB Stuttgart and Borussia Monchengladbach and hadn't appeared in any of the betting. Interesting that both Paul Lambert and Steve McClaren were odds on favourites at various stages. First up, the mere occasion of a Sheffield derby at Bramall Lane on Friday.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 08/01/2018 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    The fates are interesting. Former Owls' manager who left by "mutual consent" (i.e. "feck off and don't come back!") following a terrible run and the team heading rapidly in the wrong direction, goes to Swansea and rejuvenates the team. Who do Wednesday draw in the Cup at Hillsborough? Swansea!

Meanwhile Leeds sack their 100th manager in 101 days :O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    The fates are interesting. Former Owls' manager who left by "mutual consent" (i.e. "feck off and don't come back!") following a terrible run and the team heading rapidly in the wrong direction, goes to Swansea and rejuvenates the team. Who do Wednesday draw in the Cup at Hillsborough? Swansea!
    Friend of mine is a Weds fan too and he's dreading it, saying he hopes Swansea rest lads for their Prem battles but they won again today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Wednesday lose to Ipswich. That's 9 games unbeaten for Ipswich at Hillsborough. Mick McCarthy has a great record against them. How to stop this ? Employ him as their manager. He's not appreciated at Ipswich. He'd have money to spend in Sheffield and he's a Yorkshire man so he understands the mentality of the locals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Fulham and Cardiff both winning today again with Villa having to wait till the evening KO game to respond, but end up taking Wolves down by 4-1, great entertainment, Preston lads still in the shake up too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Much and all as I dislike Warnock for a number of reasons, I have to hand it to him that he does get the best out of sides. Cardiff were 33/1 (he says) to win automatic promotion and he succeeds. 4 strong sides contesting the play offs: Villa, Fulham, 'Boro and Derby. Any one of those could win it.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Would like to see Derby get a chance back in the top tier, for variates sake if nothing else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Would like to see Derby get a chance back in the top tier, for variates sake if nothing else.
    You might get your wish this season. Three medium to small size clubs coming down which will open up the Championship next season (I hope). Still a far more interesting league than the one above. Ipswich's departure ends the longest run in the Championship of any club https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pionship_clubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    So farewell then Steve Bruce. Which is the bigger or more satisfying challenge ? Trying to lead a relatively big club back to the EPL after an absence of 20 years or help a large club led by an ass=ole maintain its EPL status, even if you once followed that club? Obviously the latter because it pays better. Contracts mean nothing. Money is everything. What a sport we follow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    What a sport we follow.
    What a sport indeed Owly, my good man. I am a Villa watcher and I can tell you there were no tears over that way when he departed, this is going to be a feet up, popcorn, car crash. What a sport to provide an even bigger one of those, so soon after MON to Forest.

Who would you like to see in at Wednesday ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast