Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    FIXTURES

Friday, June 8th

Division 1 League Cup Final (et & pens)

Kildimo Utd V Ballysteen 730, Clounreask, (G O’Connor, S Hartnett, J Molyneaux, 4th Official TBA)

Premier Division (all 730)
    Athea Utd V Newcastle West Rovers (P King)
    Abbeyfeale Utd V Shannonside (J Roche)
    Ballingarry V Glin Rovers (L O’Connor)
    Granagh Utd V Broadford Utd (T Fitzmaurice)
    Rathkeale V Carrig Celtic (P O’Brien)

Sunday, June 10th

Premier Division
    Shannonside V Athea Utd 1130 (P O’Brien)
    Glin Rovers V Abbeyfeale Utd 1130 (G O’Connor)
    Broadford Utd V Ballingarry 1130 (P O’Connor)
    Carrig Celtic V Granagh Utd 1130 (J Roche)
    Newcastle West Rovers V Rathkeale 1130 in Woodfield (P King)

Division 2
    Pallaskenry V Bally Rovers 230 (T Fitzmaurice)
    Rathkeale B V Newcastle West Rovers B 230 (P O’Donnell)
    Ferry Rangers V Askeaton 1130 (J Molyneaux)
    Knockaderry V Shountrade 230 (E Barrett)
    St Itas V Glin Rovers B 230 (JP Murphy)

Friday, June 15th

Premier Division League Cup Final (et & pens) (Provisional)
    Abbeyfeale Utd V Rathkeale 730, Clounreask

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I think if anyone’s going to win the league this Sunday it’s Rathkeale.
    Glin away for Abbeyfeale is a much bigger hurdle than Rovers away for Rathkeale.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think you could be right sheared,Abbey game is tougher..surely rovers will try though as it's the last time ever them lads will wear that jersey.pride and heart for the jersey. That team have been gutless enough over last few seasons tho so possibly not.. it was a wonderful club and a shame to see it go.. best of luck to both teams over wknd...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    kildimo win div.1 league cup on penalties vs ballysteen

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    NCW Rovers were forced (kind of) to give a walkover to Athea last night.
    Both teams agreed to split the points.
    Both teams were under pressure to get a team out, especially Rovers as Newcastle were playing Gaelic or something.
    The league came back and told Rovers they had to play it because it would give Abbeyfeale an unfair advantage over Rathkeale on Sunday.
    The theory being that Rovers would be fresh on Sunday due to not playing last night.
    So now, NCW Rovers are going to be deducted 3 points and fined for the pleasure of it.
    Not exactly promoting football.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Friday, June 8th

Division 1 League Cup Final

Kildimo Utd 2 Ballysteen 2 aet, Kildimo Utd won 5-4 on pens

Premier Division
    Athea Utd V Newcastle West Rovers, walkover to Athea Utd
    Abbeyfeale Utd 5 Shannonside 0
    Ballingarry 0 Glin Rovers 2
    Granagh Utd 0 Broadford Utd 2
    Rathkeale 6 Carrig Celtic 0

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruyff View Post
    NCW Rovers were forced (kind of) to give a walkover to Athea last night.
    Both teams agreed to split the points.
    Both teams were under pressure to get a team out, especially Rovers as Newcastle were playing Gaelic or something.
    The league came back and told Rovers they had to play it because it would give Abbeyfeale an unfair advantage over Rathkeale on Sunday.
    The theory being that Rovers would be fresh on Sunday due to not playing last night.
    So now, NCW Rovers are going to be deducted 3 points and fined for the pleasure of it.
    Not exactly promoting football.
    arent rovers still going to be fresh sunday now as well??? doesnt make sense, what if glin had agreed with ballingarry to share points as well what wouldve happened then? all 4 teams docked points?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    A playoff it is then. I’d imagine it’ll be Friday June 22, unless there’s already a provisional date.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Fair play to Rovers for fielding a team yesterday🙄

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Will Kildimo go straight up into the premier or will there be playoff with shannonside? Wasn't there a similar situation a few years ago when Rathkeale b won division 1.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twouptop View Post
    Will Kildimo go straight up into the premier or will there be playoff with shannonside? Wasn't there a similar situation a few years ago when Rathkeale b won division 1.
    Straight up - there was a message from the Munster Council that confirmed due to the amalgamation of Newcastle clubs the third place team goes up a couple weeks back

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Abbey beat ratk 3 0 last Nite. Totally deserved it and played some excellent football on the night..football was the winner.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Rathkeale do the double with a 1-0 win over Abbeyfeale tonight.

Will post my thoughts in time on what has been a poor season for the league across the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Can’t wait. Take a break everyone, the World Cup is on

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Looking forward to it shearer, will be interesting read im sure

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Right, I suppose I'll give my few thoughts on the season.

Starting at Division 3, a two-horse race from the start really. I didn't think (and I don't think Broadford B did either) that Creeves would burst out the blocks like they did and fair play to them, a welcome return to Division Two and Broadford B will definitely spice things up next season also. With that said, the rest of the Division was a bit of a shambles; teams making up the numbers in a tiny division but I'll touch on that later.

Having been arguably the most competitive division in the Desmond League with the last few years, to say Division Two fell from a cliff this season would be an understatement.
    Rathkeale B and Shountrade were far and away from the rest of the pack and were rightfully promoted, the former notably averaging over 4.25 goals per game.
    But the rest of the division (and this applies to most of Division Three) is abysmal considering what it has been the last few years, the very definition of Sunday League. One look at some the scorelines recorded over the course of the season will highlight that, crazy stuff. A really poor standard, I won't go singling out anyone but it's just poor.
    I don't even know what to say about Askeaton, I think people know my stance on walkovers of which they gave one this season, but my how the mighty have fallen. There was a bit of a relegation battle towards the very end with the likes of Pallaskenry, NCW Rovers B and Bally Rovers in the mix of which Rovers B came out the worst, but I don't think they're too pushed considering the amalgamation and neither would Bally Rovers have been had it been them for the same reason.

Division One was always AFC's to lose I felt, fair play to them for going unbeaten in a season where everyone took points off each other and they only split the points in one of their games. Coming back to teams taking points off each other, Division One was awfully competitive this season as seen by the fact that AK acquired 25 points and came fourth (in two previous years 28 and 29 were required).
    I'm not exactly saying anything groundbreaking when I say that the main problem with Division One is that none of the teams are able to get promoted outside of the two that just came down (Granagh United being an exception to the rule last season). It was never realistically going to be anyone but AFC and Killeaney going up, even the team that took AFC's promotion spot, Kildimo United, are a fairly common Premier team.
    I don't know about everyone here but I spent so much time wondering who was going to win the Premier that Glantine totally slipping went under my radar. Glantine lost to AK who had less than a starting 11 on the last day to dismiss any hopes of survival and to reiterate what I heard from a Glantine man, if you can't win those games you deserve to go down, a fair statement.
    Feenagh seem to be the cat with 9 lives, someone will have to drive a stake through their heart to relegate them it seems!
    Absolutely zero sympathy for Abbeyfeale United B going down, pretty much because of a walkover. While I've been critical of sides with less than a full-team, how they couldn't grab 7 lads, get hammered for 20 minutes by Killeaney and blow it up is beyond me.
    Jesus wept.

A two horse race in the Premier, not helped by Broadford being miles off what they were last season and Ballingarry's Renaissance not living up to expectations. Abbeyfeale picked up the title in a playoff, but they can thank their lucky stars that they got that draw against Glin Rovers overturned! Glin Rovers had a great league run this season in fairness, was shocked to see them get beaten by Rovers in the Desmond Cup.
    A so-so season for the aforementioned Rovers who themselves will probably take solace from a semi-final appearance in the Desmond Cup.
    I think I've been vocal enough about Athea in the past, a Premier team giving a walkover is a disgrace and brings the league into unnecessary disrepute. I've zero beef with Athea, they dodged a bullet last season with regard to relegation but they deserve to go down in my view this season.

To conclude what has been a ridiculously long post, the league has declined. I know this is said every year by a poster or two but it's blatantly clear this year. I think the introduction of Summer Soccer (which was brought forward at the recent AGM and is to be the subject of an EGM) is for the greater good. Coming from someone who is a member of a 'small' club, forcing clubs to either adapt or perish would improve the quality of the league. More amalgamations, yes some clubs may fold (my own included) but you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. If you can't get enough interested players then maybe you shouldn't be around.
    It's quality over quantity, straight away I think that Division Three should be eradicated and make Division Two bigger. Ideally in Summer Soccer you'd only have two, maybe three, leagues.
    Furthermore, I think the introduction of Newcastle West Town will make the league a lot more interesting especially with the talk of them having three teams.

I'll leave it at that, didn't intend for this to be so long.
    Last edited by Shearer; 28/06/2018 at 2:23 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Were you at the AGM Shearer? What I heard was only the one club brought up summer soccer and it wasn't greatly received at all?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Wasn’t at it, heard Ballysteen brought it up and it was going to an EGM.
    My above post has been my point of view before the AGM took place I might add.
    Last edited by Shearer; 28/06/2018 at 11:42 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Ya Ballysteen brought it forward alright - pro's and con's - more pro's I think but from what I heard it was unlikely to go ahead

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast