Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2017/18

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Reel yourselves in there, boys. I'll be the first to applaud a club for doing well, but if you're going to single me out as having a chip on my shoulder with regard to AK United then there's a whole pile more on this forum you could do the same to as this is not their first time being the centre of discussion.

I hold AK United to a higher standard than others of the same level considering the investment that's gone in recent seasons with just a second-place finish in Division Two and two Desmond Cup Semi-Finals in three seasons to show for. Fair play to them for getting even that much success thus far, but when you're doing silly things like taking photos with your new manager holding up a jersey outside a local hotel being flanked by new signings along with photos of one of players with his name and number on the back then you're inviting criticism.
    Being honest, i would agree with Shearer on this, the whole AK utd thing is a bit of a disgrace and in my own personal opinion Adare probably made the right decision the pull out of it? It probably started when they were trying to pay and get that Spanish lad to stay with them the year they lost 3-2 to glin in the semi. Hopefully the NCW amalgamation will be a lot better.
    You even see it in the schoolboys, that amalgamation only lasted two years? Who in the right mind thought it would be a good decision to join two clubs that arent even close to each other?

To make things worse, there is a rumour going about that the AK manager had quit, but could just be a smoke screen for the whole thing,
    On another note and still amalgations, are Killeaney and Bally Rovers joining next year? heard about it about a month or two ago?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Seemingly its a done deal. Id say a lot more clubs will consider it in the future.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Killeaney|Bally is happening I hear also - already joined at underage I think
    The manager did indeed quit, 2 weeks ago, dunno his reasoning - an extremely STRONG personality
    To be fair robotwarsfan the Spanish lad was working as an au pair in Kilcornan, we tried to get him to stay on to the end of that season as he was leaving with a few games to go, nobody was paying him
    Whatever about the junior team there has been good success underage as an amalgamation, both boys and girls but more importantly plenty of numbers which was always a problem - more than one team at a lot of the age groups that helps getting more kids playing more games

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Where are the fixtures for the weekend?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    So because a team try to promote themselves on social media they suddenly believe they founded soccer. I don't think anyone believes thats your beef with Kilcornan, if it is, it's incredibly childish. I'd hate to know the real reason.
    Also, Adare and Kilcornan being so far apart, are they not adjoining parishes??

Noone is saying AK was a perfect amalgamation, but give them credit for trying to be progressives. I do agree they appear to be a busted flush and wouldn't be surprised if they went back to being Kilcornan or even joined someone else.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Killeaney and Bally Rovers a done deal Iv heard from people within the club. Where will they play next season? Straight into premier as Killeaney have all but sealed promotion or have to start lower down?

I know you would think new clubs start at bottom but Newcastle West Town will surely go straight into Premier - be too strong and wouldn’t make sense to start anywhere outside Premier, just wouldn’t benefit any team. Wouldn’t be surprised if Killeaney and Bally Rovers do the same and third from division 1 goes straight up to premier too (think Kildimo will finish 3rd).

Scrap division 3 and make division 1 and 2 a bit bigger as division 3 was short of teams already and Carrig B and athea struggled for players this year.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Straight into Premier replacing the Killeaney team - I suppose the Bally Rovers team would be replaced with a "B" team as such under whatever the new name is
    <br><br>
    NCW will surely have 3 teams going into next season - Their "B" team could stay in Division 1 and replace the NCW team currently in the division

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    With NCW "A" town going straight to premier, the "B" team are meant to be going into division 1? does that mean 8th place in division 1 also gets relegated? or does 2nd in div.2 not get promoted? bit of a confusing one, and contrary to a previous post, KILLEANEY AND BALLY ROVERS ARE NOT JOINED AT SCHOOLBOYS. The amalgamation at schoolboy level is Glin and Bally Rover as GB Rover, how will that work for bally rovers then for 2 amalgamations

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    It was in this week's observer that Newcastle West town will be in the premier and their B team will be in division 1. Newcastle West Afc can't get promoted so Killeaney and 3rd place in division 1 are getting promoted to the premier.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I see the league decider is on the wknd,should be good game of ball..I seen on paper pat king is ref again for a ratkeale game🤔, is this not his 3rd in a row for them, to be fair pat is nice fellow but can loose the cool at times.. ref or no ref they are on some run so I would think they will have too much for Abbey.. league should have made it sat evening game or 2.30 to get good crowd.. best of luck to both in game 1 of3

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticfan View Post
    It was in this week's observer that Newcastle West town will be in the premier and their B team will be in division 1. Newcastle West Afc can't get promoted so Killeaney and 3rd place in division 1 are getting promoted to the premier.
    Why cant they ncw town B go into div.2 to replace rovers B?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbrown View Post
    So because a team try to promote themselves on social media they suddenly believe they founded soccer. I don't think anyone believes thats your beef with Kilcornan, if it is, it's incredibly childish. I'd hate to know the real reason.
    Also, Adare and Kilcornan being so far apart, are they not adjoining parishes??

Noone is saying AK was a perfect amalgamation, but give them credit for trying to be progressives. I do agree they appear to be a busted flush and wouldn't be surprised if they went back to being Kilcornan or even joined someone else.
    Jesus, you are like a dog with a bone - singling out me when there are plenty of others here with an actual bone to pick with AK, yet I am the childish one. Jesus wept. For God's sake, I criticised Abbeyfeale United B and Athea United in that post too. If anything it was Athea who got the brunt of my criticism in that post, so don't you dare start accusing me of having a grudge against this club when you are just jumping to conclusions.

If you had taken the time to read my original response to you then you would have seen this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I hold AK United to a higher standard than others of the same level considering the investment that's gone in recent seasons
    No beef whatsoever. As before, fair play to them for going an hour with seven lads, but I expect better is all I am trying to say.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Hard to answer the AK one , at adult level they seem to be primarily kilcornan players who from a limited pool are probably achieving a reasonable level but as was shown in the cup semi final if they lose one or two they don't have the numbers of a decent ability to replace them with .
    Underage they have some fine teams but at a youths game last year a parent on the line told me there was only one from kilcornan playing and named about 5 other places there was players from . That's fine if they stay with them but a lot will definetly go back to their native parish . Changing the name to Kilcornan and District AFC might be a more appropriate way forward .
    There is no doubt the antics of some of their management at adult and underage level are totally off the radar for the Desmond league ( a few of them would want to take a chill pill and realise it's not the champions league) and the main reason a share of folk wouldn't be overly fond of them .

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
    Hard to answer the AK one , at adult level they seem to be primarily kilcornan players who from a limited pool are probably achieving a reasonable level but as was shown in the cup semi final if they lose one or two they don't have the numbers of a decent ability to replace them with .
    Underage they have some fine teams but at a youths game last year a parent on the line told me there was only one from kilcornan playing and named about 5 other places there was players from . That's fine if they stay with them but a lot will definetly go back to their native parish . Changing the name to Kilcornan and District AFC might be a more appropriate way forward .
    There is no doubt the antics of some of their management at adult and underage level are totally off the radar for the Desmond league ( a few of them would want to take a chill pill and realise it's not the champions league) and the main reason a share of folk wouldn't be overly fond of them .
    Without doubt people's dislike of AK Utd stems from their underage, they had an u16 girls team this season with girls travelling from 30 miles away to play with them, they had the majority of the Gaynor Cup squad on their team I've been told, so you had a situation where Desmond League academy players weren't even starting on their own club team.
    They have a similar situation with a few more of their teams where I've been told they have kids traveling big distances to play with them.
    This isn't really in the spirit of the Desmond League, it never has been, that's more of a thing you'd see in the city.
    The other thing they've been accused of is poaching players, neighbouring clubs have gone to the Schoolboy League complaining about AK Utd.
    I personally don't care where a child chooses to play but I doubt very much a child just decides to leave their home club at a very young age without them or their parents being approached by someone from that club first.
    I heard a story from a parent of a child who was about 13 at the time, that their child was asked by the AK managers on the pitch immediately after a cup final would they come and play with AK the following season, this was between the time the final whistle blew and the trophy being presented, and there were 3 or 4 witnesses to it happening.
    I've said on here before that AK have great coaching and look after the players but if the vast majority have no intention of playing adult for them I don't see the point in it.
    I think if they made a few changes to what they're doing and reigned it in a bit that over time the rest of the schoolboy league wouldn't take half as much notice of them and there wouldn't be any more hassle.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Friday, May 25th

Division 1
    AK Utd V Killeaney in Kilcornan 7pm (W. Fitzgerald)
    Ballysteen V Adare Utd 7pm (G. O’Connor)
    Abbeyfeale Utd B V Newcastle West 7pm (J. Roche)
    Glantine V Kildimo Utd 7pm (J. Molyneaux)
    Feenagh V Breska Rovers 7pm (E. Barrett)

Saturday, May 26th

Desmond Youths Cup Final (et & pens)
    Broadford Utd V Newcastle West Town 230, Clounreask, (E. Noonan, P. O’Brien, W. Fitzgerald, 4th Official TBA)

Sunday, May 27th

Premier Division
    Shannonside V Ballingarry 1130 in Borrigone (P. Manning)
    Glin Rovers V Broadford Utd 1130 (T. Fitzmaurice)
    Newcastle West Rovers V Granagh Utd 130pm in Woodfield (J. Roche)
    Athea Utd V Carrig Celtic 1130 (P. O’Brien)
    Abbeyfeale Utd V Rathkeale 1130 (P. King)

Division 1
    Glantine V Abbeyfeale Utd B 230 (E. Barrett)
    Feenagh V AK Utd 1130 (P. O’Connor)
    Killeaney V Ballysteen 1130 (G. O’Connor)
    Newcastle West V Adare Utd 1130 (P. O’Donnell)
    Breska Rovers V Kildimo Utd 1130 (E. Noonan)

Division 2
    Askeaton V St Itas 230 (T. Fitzmaurice)
    Ferry Rangers V Bally Rovers 230 (P. King)
    Shountrade V Pallaskenry 230 (J. Molyneaux)
    Knockaderry V Newcastle West Rovers B 1030am (S. Hartnett)
    Glin Rovers B V Rathkeale B 230 (W. Fitzgerald)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by western gale 1 View Post
    Friday, May 25th

Division 1
    AK Utd V Killeaney in Kilcornan 7pm (W. Fitzgerald)
    Ballysteen V Adare Utd 7pm (G. O’Connor)
    Abbeyfeale Utd B V Newcastle West 7pm (J. Roche)
    Glantine V Kildimo Utd 7pm (J. Molyneaux)
    Feenagh V Breska Rovers 7pm (E. Barrett)
    AK Utd 3-2 Killeaney
    Ballysteen 4-1 Adare
    Abbey B 1-5 Ncw
    Glantine ?-? Kildimo? Anyone hear this result???
    Feenagh 0-4 Breska

Some interesting results im hearing from div.1 Big result for Breska away to feenagh in a relegation six pointer. Surely they might stay up now?? Ak done very well from having only 7 players and losing 10-1 to ncw to beat Killeaney to distuinguish any hope of Killeaney winning the league whilst easing their relegation worries. It seems like Ballysteen might be safe for another season and abbeyfeale are on the slide. If glantine lost tonight that makes there game to Abbeyfeale even more important on sunday now, who have the teams got to play in their last game anyone know???

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Kildimo beat Glantine 3-1. Two from Glantine, Feenagh, Abbey B and Breska to go down. Tomorrow could be decisive although Abbey B play Breska tomorrow week in last series of games in a crucial clash.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie C View Post
    Kildimo beat Glantine 3-1. Two from Glantine, Feenagh, Abbey B and Breska to go down. Tomorrow could be decisive although Abbey B play Breska tomorrow week in last series of games in a crucial clash.
    Glantine are playing Abbeyfeale B tomorrow as well so that will make things interesting as well, if both Breska and Abbey win tomorrow, and feenagh and glantine lose, they are relegated i think? Things could even be sorted out before that crucial clash between abbey b and breska

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Friday, May 25th

Division 1
    AK Utd 3 Killeaney 2
    Ballysteen 4 Adare Utd 1
    Abbeyfeale Utd B 1 Newcastle West 5
    Glantine 1 Kildimo Utd 3
    Feenagh 0 Breska Rovers 4

Saturday, May 26th

Desmond Youths Cup Final
    Broadford Utd 1 Newcastle West Town 2 aet.

Sunday, May 27th

Premier Division
    Shannonside 3 Ballingarry 1
    Glin Rovers 1 Broadford Utd 1
    Newcastle West Rovers 1 Granagh Utd 1
    Athea Utd 2 Carrig Celtic 5
    Abbeyfeale Utd 1 Rathkeale 1

Division 1
    Glantine 2 Abbeyfeale Utd B 1
    Feenagh 5 AK Utd 1
    Killeaney 3 Ballysteen 5
    Newcastle West 3 Adare Utd 2
    Breska Rovers 5 Kildimo Utd 0

Division 2
    Askeaton v St Itas, walkover to St Itas
    Ferry Rangers 1 Bally Rovers 4
    Shountrade 2 Pallaskenry 0
    Knockaderry 8 Newcastle West Rovers B 0
    Glin Rovers B 0 Rathkeale B 5

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Division 1
    Glantine 2 Abbeyfeale Utd B 1
    Feenagh 5 AK Utd 1
    Killeaney 3 Ballysteen 5
    Newcastle West 3 Adare Utd 2
    Breska Rovers 5 Kildimo Utd 0

Firstly congrats to Newcastle West on Winning the league title in their last ever season as a club before joining with rovers, although word has it none of the AFC players want to play with the Rovers lads.
    What is happening to Killeaney of late? thats their third loss in 5 games! Kildimo lose 5-0 away to Breska but still get promoted, ak struggles continue with a loss away to feenagh, ak only had 9 men again! glantine beating abbeyfeale makes it tasty at the bottom with it looking like, the walkover against killeaney is going to cost them their place in div.1 with breska 4 points ahead of them and feenagh 2 points ahead?
    If i was a betting man i for the last game of season i would say
    killeaney and adare draw
    feenagh to beat ballysteen
    ncw draw with kildimo
    glantine to draw with ak
    breska beat abbey B
    which means abbey and glantine to get relegated and breska to come 4th after being bottom about 2 weeks ago, who wouldve guessed that?

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast