Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LOI fixtures Friday 14th July - Sun 16th July

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Game lacked quality but a badly depleted Ramblers team worked their socks off for the win. I think we were missing 5 through injury and suspension. We had no recognised forward tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Bray 0-2 City. 15 points clear. 1 game in hand.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How many points do City need to win the title (providing Dundalk win all thier remaining games)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Dundalk, with 14 games to play, mathematically could still end up on 88 points, providing they win ALL their remaining games. Cork have 15 to play, and being on 61 pts already, would only need 28 pts from a possible 45. So 9 wins from 15, but as good as Dundalk are, if they even drop 6 pts between now and season's end, Cork might end up being one of the (if not THE) fastest in History to a win an LOI Title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    19 more points

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Load of dreck in Cobh. Two poor teams who had trouble making basic passes.

Poor ref too; never once played advantage for offside, which is a pet hate of mine. He also let us away with taking a free kick for offside ten yards into Cobh's half.
    Mlada Boleslav almost got away with the exact same thing in Tallaght on Thursday, then the ref gave Gary Shaw a telling off for picking the ball up and bringing it back to their half. I don't mind free kicks for fouls being taken a bit forward, especially when they're kicked backwards, but that made no sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Mlada Boleslav almost got away with the exact same thing in Tallaght on Thursday, then the ref gave Gary Shaw a telling off for picking the ball up and bringing it back to their half. I don't mind free kicks for fouls being taken a bit forward, especially when they're kicked backwards, but that made no sense.
    There was a change in the rule, the free kick can be taken from where the offside player receives the ball, including if it is in the player’s own half.

8. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    That's a good point actually; I'd forgotten about that.

The ref in Cobh was still poor though. When he gave us the free for offside in their half, we had possession (the offside guy's touch was poor) and had just played a pass forward to the edge of their box. Never played the advantage once all game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    19 more points
    It will be remarkable if Cork win it in September, it is possible though, however I think it will be early October when they win it, and although the lead is still obviously significant, I think Dundalk will reduce it by the final day. The biggest margin between the two was the 11 point lead Dundalk finished with in 2015. This was 7 points last year, probably even more impressive due to the CL group participation, the 2014 margin was 2 points.

Any team winning it in double figures is impressive though, that's actually a good question, how many times that was achieved in the history of the league?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    It will be remarkable if Cork win it in September, it is possible though, however I think it will be early October when they win it, and although the lead is still obviously significant, I think Dundalk will reduce it by the final day. The biggest margin between the two was the 11 point lead Dundalk finished with in 2015. This was 7 points last year, probably even more impressive due to the CL group participation, the 2014 margin was 2 points.

Any team winning it in double figures is impressive though, that's actually a good question, how many times that was achieved in the history of the league?
    If we do tie it up early then it's likely we'd drop some points after that so the final lead probably wouldn't be as big. Obviously a lot will depend on how we respond to losing Seani.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    If we do tie it up early then it's likely we'd drop some points after that so the final lead probably wouldn't be as big. Obviously a lot will depend on how we respond to losing Seani.
    We need to learn how to play without him after this week. That will be difficult. Something that no one has paid attention to is that our current winning streak is 8 games. We've done that twice before in our history I think, 1998 and this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I can see Dooley, Sadlier and Shep heading out for the next few league games with - "they all think we are a one man team boys" ringing in their ears...... will be interesting to see the reaction.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I hope that's the case, and it seems likely that Shep moves up top with Sadlier and Dooley alongside him. I worry though that Shep isn't the finisher we need in that position and moving him from a position he has had so much success in could disrupt his form. Saying that, taking Seani out will most likely disrupt everyone's form. Shep seems to have an uncanny knack of getting the ball into the space Sean is about to occupy, almost as if they are communicating telepathically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    If Cork are still unbeaten when they win the league they mightn't take their foot off the gas too much to try and complete the unbeaten season. Has it ever been done before?
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    If Cork are still unbeaten when they win the league they mightn't take their foot off the gas too much to try and complete the unbeaten season. Has it ever been done before?
    If we can maintain our unbeaten run that long then perhaps. I think we will struggle in the next few weeks though and might lose a game before it's complete. Our squad is currently really thin.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Waterford need 18 more points but if we beat Cobh at home this Friday, it'll be down to 12 with 7 games left. Cobh really have to win on Friday.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Dundalk, with 14 games to play, mathematically could still end up on 88 points, providing they win ALL their remaining games. Cork have 15 to play, and being on 61 pts already, would only need 28 pts from a possible 45. So 9 wins from 15, but as good as Dundalk are, if they even drop 6 pts between now and season's end, Cork might end up being one of the (if not THE) fastest in History to a win an LOI Title.
    That's all wrong. Dundalk have 11 league games left, Cork City have 12 league games left. It's more or less one series of games left.

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    I can see Dooley, Sadlier and Shep heading out for the next few league games
    I hope it's those three and not two of them plus Campion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Reading other club forums around the time they play Harps is something I like to do.

Reading the Bohs forum since the weekend has just been a source of comedy gold for some fans reactions to Harps.

I hope they get relegated now. The reaction to that would probably open up a black hole the length of the Navan Road.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

23. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12