Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Match Fixing Thread - 18.05.22 10 Arrested in LOI Match Fixing Probe

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Villa FC Waterford v Pike Rovers in the FAI Centenary Junior Cup Final 2pm on Sunday in Turners Cross …..should we expect anything fishy there?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermoy Blue View Post
    Villa FC Waterford v Pike Rovers in the FAI Centenary Junior Cup Final 2pm on Sunday in Turners Cross …..should we expect anything fishy there?
    Pure baiting!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Galway beat us 3-1 in Terryland back then, and their second featured a baffling attempt at a tackle that let the striker in on goal.
    The third goal too looks fair dodgy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    If the below games didn’t involve match fixing I would be absolutely shocked:

https://youtu.be/mdR5w-8FfJs

https://twitter.com/seidodge/status/...0DvJUnNpMnqSJg
    The left back may not have been too popular in that second clip or not in on the scam as he almost got there in an accidentally falling to a goal line clearance his head down at a daisy cutter, falling and nearly clattering in to the post. The pass was sloppy but ye see those happen, the Wexford player was at full tilt and the last defender looked as much like he knew he'd only have taken out the player and would have walked so didnt commit to the tackle, keeper closed and ball was put between the legs and still needed the tap in to make sure so some fortune involved if that was a deliberate concession of a goal. Maybe the pattern over a series of games set off alarm bells but that clip in isolation there doesnt seem much contrived to me.

The concern for me is tarring the entire LoI with the same brush (there were certainly rumours during the Connor year around Dundalk on players betting habits and we did break a UEFA record on red cards in a season to boot). At a confirmation yesterday family members that are more GAA than I fell over themselves to 'talk' to me about it, mud sticks - could it undermine the recent surge in general interest in LoI? Or would that lean too much in to melodrama?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I was at the Wexford one also, and even though it looks the worst of the lot, at the time I was thinking that the player was obviously going to slip a pass in to the unmarked striker, and that it needed to be cut out. He feinted to do it then kept going.

Now, given some of the other defensive...eh...errors by the player in question, it's still very dodgy for sure (in all the clips he spends a lot of time frozen when way out of position), but at the time I thought it ws more a good dummy than anything else.

RTE reporting that peple knew what the results would be, but is that not a particularly stupid way of doing it these days (and fixing a 6-2 scoreline being incredibly attention-grabbing)?

I'd have imagined it'd be more about 'a goal in the first 20 minutes' or 'more than 3 goals in the first half' than just an overall result. Much much easier to engineer, I'd have thought.
    Last edited by osarusan; 19/05/2022 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Fixing a 6-2 scoreline sounds like you’d need a lot of people in on it , people betting on that particular score in large amounts would be particularly obvious to me anyway….

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Yeah, unless all players on both sides and maybe even officials are in on it I dont know how a specific scoreline can be planned. It would have to be more than x number of cards with multiple players planning to put the boot in, corners/offsides type stuff maybe but specifically 6-2 or say Sligo win by +3 eg leaves quite a few variables, and a maybe indicates a wider problem than a few players at one club, never mind the bookies sussing something amiss. Wasnt it Sligo that failed to bet an Albanian side in Europe that were trying to throw the match. Snooker, tennis and the like seem a safer bet, pardon the pun, than football if trying to manipulate results for gain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I don't think it would be the actual result, more the handicap.

I definitely remember Sligo -2 and Shels -2 as two of the hot bets that season.

Was talking to a mate last night and with hindsight about halfway through that season a good few of our group just stopped going

It wasn't cos they were ****e, they were nearly always ****e, it was more just pitiful after Paud stopped paying out and you were hearing mumblings and it kind of became what's the point.

I distinctly remember betting a couple of bob on that Sligo game because when I saw Limerick were up 2 0 I remember giving out to the person that told me.

As for it reflecting on the whole league, it's potentially a problem across the whole league. Once you stop paying fellas what you said you'd pay them you kind of lose and moral high ground. And Limerick and Paud were hardly unique in that circumstance. I can think of four clubs off the top of my head where I heard similar down the years. So could most of ye being honest. It's football at league of Ireland level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    The Sligo game is strange but you have Limerick go 2 up with 2 good finishes, Sligo get a peno, that looks more that the defender got between the striker and the ball so not stonewall as it was the Limerick player that was kicked, keeper saves the penalty. Then you have the Leverock clattering one player with a dangerous bicycle kick effort in a crowded area and then punching another and sent off (the groan from the Sligo crowd as soon as it happened) which seems more deliberate that a lot of other stuff. The ref ran past another dangerous high boot to the face of a Limerick player to deal with the punch.

There looked to have been a real edge to the game. The second card for Kelly was innocuous enough and he was just a bit late, and I wouldnt have had him down as a player you'd question integrity and commitment? Then Sligo score with a decent free from just outside the box though the keeper does look oddly late diving (would need to see it from behind). 4th goal the keeper made a good stop before the rebound was put away, 5th could have been offside but the last 2 goals were a disorganised defence, with 8 men v 10 after a filthy tackle and a Limerick player shoving(?) a steward when he kicked the ball away, stuff thrown on the pitch etc. An ill tempered affair.

All can happen in a tetchy game where discipline is lost, ref loses control, players are stroppy with each other and it not pre planned at all. If anything the crazy nature of the game could work against match fixing, eg Leverock could be called out yet he could have just lost it. I suppose Im just saying that while an eventful game, are people retrospectively seeing things as 'must have been planned'. Again taking this clip in isolation, but acknowledging that there is likely more evidence than the game incidents themselves for a criminal investigation.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 19/05/2022 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The Sligo game is strange but you have Limerick go 2 up with 2 good finishes, Sligo get a peno, that looks more that the defender got between the striker and the ball so not stonewall as it was the Limerick player that was kicked, keeper saves the penalty. Then you have the Leverock clattering one player with a dangerous bicycle kick effort in a crowded area and then punching another and sent off (the groan from the Sligo crowd as soon as it happened) which seems more deliberate that a lot of other stuff. The ref ran past another dangerous high boot to the face of a Limerick player to deal with the punch.

There looked to have been a real edge to the game. The second card for Kelly was innocuous enough and he was just a bit late, and I wouldnt have had him down as a player you'd question integrity and commitment? Then Sligo score with a decent free from just outside the box though the keeper does look oddly late diving (would need to see it from behind). 4th goal the keeper made a good stop before the rebound was put away, 5th could have been offside but the last 2 goals were a disorganised defence, with 8 men v 10 after a filthy tackle and a Limerick player shoving(?) a steward when he kicked the ball away, stuff thrown on the pitch etc. An ill tempered affair.

All can happen in a tetchy game where discipline is lost, ref loses control, players are stroppy with each other and it not pre planned at all. If anything the crazy nature of the game could work against match fixing, eg Leverock could be called out yet he could have just lost it. I suppose Im just saying that while an eventful game, are people retrospectively seeing things as 'must have been planned'. Again taking this clip in isolation, but acknowledging that there is likely more evidence than the game incidents themselves for a criminal investigation.
    the prices kept moving in sligos favour even at 2-0. game was 100% fixed

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    I don't think it would be the actual result, more the handicap.

I definitely remember Sligo -2 and Shels -2 as two of the hot bets that season.

Was talking to a mate last night and with hindsight about halfway through that season a good few of our group just stopped going

It wasn't cos they were ****e, they were nearly always ****e, it was more just pitiful after Paud stopped paying out and you were hearing mumblings and it kind of became what's the point.

I distinctly remember betting a couple of bob on that Sligo game because when I saw Limerick were up 2 0 I remember giving out to the person that told me.

As for it reflecting on the whole league, it's potentially a problem across the whole league. Once you stop paying fellas what you said you'd pay them you kind of lose and moral high ground. And Limerick and Paud were hardly unique in that circumstance. I can think of four clubs off the top of my head where I heard similar down the years. So could most of ye being honest. It's football at league of Ireland level.
    Over the years in the LOI most of the players involved in suspected/rumoured match fixing have been fully paid every week, I know of one who was on €500 per week part-time. Wages paid or unpaid they're scumbags end of it's a criminal offense
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post

The concern for me is tarring the entire LoI with the same brush (there were certainly rumours during the Connor year around Dundalk on players betting habits and we did break a UEFA record on red cards in a season to boot). At a confirmation yesterday family members that are more GAA than I fell over themselves to 'talk' to me about it, mud sticks - could it undermine the recent surge in general interest in LoI? Or would that lean too much in to melodrama?
    Just on this, it was interesting to see the amount of media coverage this generated. Much more than any actual football issues it seemed to me. Not saying it shouldn’t be reported, I just wish the media would show as much interest in on field matters.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Reported today by Dan McDonnell that games going back as far as 2016 are being investigated

I wonder if Limerick's only defeat of the 2016 season away to Cobh after they clinched the First Division title is under investigation? Only just brief poor quality clips of the two goals are on youtube no other footage

https://www.extratime.com/matches/detail/28714/2/
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I am just curious will these players attempt wot ex ATFC player Laubauts did in 2017 after being charged with match fixing he went to UEFA and won his appeal?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Reported today by Dan McDonnell that games going back as far as 2016 are being investigated

I wonder if Limerick's only defeat of the 2016 season away to Cobh after they clinched the First Division title is under investigation? Only just brief poor quality clips of the two goals are on youtube no other footage

https://www.extratime.com/matches/detail/28714/2/
    McDonnell also said a player in the premier was with a top team. I wonder if those two things are related?

Nobody was charged with anything. So hypothetically, if a fella was arrested and released he would be able to play this weekend? It would be an unbelivable thing if the club knew this that a player was arrested, but still allowed the player to play.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I think this should be let run its course. No point in speculating about people who may not be involved. Let the DPP do the job and see what happens. "Innocent until proven guilty"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    A lot of things mentioned here can't really be bet on in League of Ireland games, or certainly not for huge stakes that would make it worth doing deliberately.

Essentially all you can bet on for big stakes are match winner, number of goals & handicaps. In the Sligo v Limerick game the apparent fix was on -2 and -3, so once Limerick went 2-0 up it had to finish at least 6-2 for the bet to come in. Clearly all 11 players weren't in on the fix - Karl O'Sullivan scored twice and Jack Brady saved a penalty!

Also looking back at an apparent fixed game and pointing out mistakes doesn't prove anything. It's League of Ireland Division 1 - there are a lot of ****e players! Analyse most goals and you can find some lad out of position or misplacing a pass - it doesn't mean he's in on a fix.

In reality this should be reported on by crime journalists - take away the players, of which 7 were arrested, the question is who are the other 3 people? They're clearly the ringleaders and most likely involved in criminality of other kinds - if the Gardai can pin match fixing on them they will - the Gardai in general don't really care about match fixing at all.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    A lot of things mentioned here can't really be bet on in League of Ireland games, or certainly not for huge stakes that would make it worth doing deliberately.
    Not in your local Paddy Power shop they cant.

But this will almost certainly involve online gambling sites, often based in the Far East and invariably illegal in the countries in which their punters live.

And in such circumstances the stakes can be huge, even eg on an LOI First Division match, if that's what happens to be playing in a given time zone.

In fact, the original tip-off to the Gardai very possibly came from overseas regulators (or even anonymously from disgruntled punters?).

Also looking back at an apparent fixed game and pointing out mistakes doesn't prove anything. It's League of Ireland Division 1 - there are a lot of ****e players! Analyse most goals and you can find some lad out of position or misplacing a pass - it doesn't mean he's in on a fix.
    Fair point.

But as against that, they may have suspicions about some of these error-ridden games, but lack the proof to investigate further. I mean, if certain games were successfully rigged as far back as 2016, then there's every incentive to carry on doing so in the six years since, at least while no-one is getting arrested and jailed etc.

In reality this should be reported on by crime journalists - take away the players, of which 7 were arrested, the question is who are the other 3 people? They're clearly the ringleaders and most likely involved in criminality of other kinds - if the Gardai can pin match fixing on them they will - the Gardai in general don't really care about match fixing at all.
    Indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Fixing a 6-2 scoreline sounds like you’d need a lot of people in on it , people betting on that particular score in large amounts would be particularly obvious to me anyway….
    I doubt anybody would lay you in excess of €50 for a 6-2 score in a game like that. the idea that Asian punters are staking enormous sums on LOI games on shady websites in the far east is beyond ludicrous. You might get some scammer online to "lay" your bet but try getting paid.
    Last edited by redarmyfaction; 20/05/2022 at 8:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Not in your local Paddy Power shop they cant.

But this will almost certainly involve online gambling sites, often based in the Far East and invariably illegal in the countries in which their punters live.

And in such circumstances the stakes can be huge, even eg on an LOI First Division match, if that's what happens to be playing in a given time zone.

In fact, the original tip-off to the Gardai very possibly came from overseas regulators (or even anonymously from disgruntled punters?).

But on these sites you can’t bet on red cards or correct scoreline.

It’s only the total goals, which was the fix in the Longford v Athlone match where they just kept betting on another goal to be scored at odds so ridiculously short it made it look like they knew there would be another goal, or the Asian Handicap market, i.e. how much a team will win by.
    There is no regulator, per se, but UEFA do have a partnership with a firm which overlooks all the betting sites in the world and alerts as to unusual betting patterns.
    They won’t necessarily see the stakes and certainly won’t see who the customers involved are but when they see a big gamble on a particular team they’ll be able to estimate the stake involved and whether that is unusual for that particular league and to what degree.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast