Thread: Politics and sport

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Politics and sport

https://twitter.com/reptracker/statu...GSa2qsKpw&s=19
    The attached link apparently shows the ROI U17 women turning their backs while the iserali national anthem was being played. Surely these kids are too young to fully understand what going on politically, to take this stance. If they really felt that strongly about it they shouldn't have took to the pitch at all.
    Underage sports should not be allowed to make any political statements.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    A rather sweeping generalisation - some teenagers will be very engaged with politics, climate change and various social issues, just as some adults will deliberately avoid all current affairs. Now one can legitimately ask whether individual squad members should feel pressurised to participate in such gestures, but assuming it was collectively agreed before KO, then you have to admire them for sticking to their principles.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    They can make whatever statement they want really. Authorities will deal with them if they’ve any issues with it. Strange there was much made of the basketball game and nothing about this.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I'd say they being an underage side might have been a factor there.

If they want to take such an action, so be it, as long as they are also prepared for any possible consequences. Deliberately disrespecting an anthem doesn't feel right to me personally, though it's hardly the most provocative thing that could have been done (that would probably have been to refuse to play altogether). I'd always say that if you're ****ed off at Israel, go out and paste them on the field.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    A rather sweeping generalisation - some teenagers will be very engaged with politics, climate change and various social issues, just as some adults will deliberately avoid all current affairs. Now one can legitimately ask whether individual squad members should feel pressurised to participate in such gestures, but assuming it was collectively agreed before KO, then you have to admire them for sticking to their principles.
    If they really wanted to stick to their principals they would have made a better statement by refusing to play.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    I don't think it's that easy. We saw with the basketball that there was a significant financial threat which could in theory have closed down the organisation.

Maybe we should say that's an acceptable price to pay to really make Israel out as pariahs - but ultimately what would it really achieve? Would it achieve any more than this protest? The story seems to be getting a bit of traction on social media so that alone is a plus.

In reality of course it needs UEFA to treat Israel the same way as it's treating Russia, given both are involved in very similar incidents of genocide and ethnic cleansing.

I agree in general about using kids for political statements, but then again Israel are so clearly in the wrong here that I think a 17-year-old is capable of realising that some form of protest is reasonable.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    We are a particularly politicaly aware population and youth engagement with political issues is a lot higher than posted averages elsewhere, NI also, for abvious reasons. It ebbs and wanes of course, massive growth in awareness in US youth politics is recent and not seen since Vietnam anti war protests An awareness doesnt always equate to informed mind! I would hate to think that this protest was suggested or driven by coaching staff, or that it was just following a senior example, though there is no precedence for this. Id echo EP that it hopefully was a collective decision. It heartens me to see young people being politically active, young UN, Students' Unions especially at third level, taking a stand on international issues like this. Ye dont have to agree with the politics but activism is evidence of a healthy democracy or an unhealthy one where change can happen.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    If they really wanted to stick to their principals they would have made a better statement by refusing to play.
    All I can say is that when I was 17 I’d of embraced the Israel anthem as an act of solidarity as I would do today - so I find it difficult to believe not even one of the current squad might feel the same - bottom line is that imo sports events shouldn’t be used like that - as a previous poster mentioned if you feel that strongly then don’t participate- older readers would remember how some of us went to play rugby during the apartheid regime and others didn’t

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    https://www.balls.ie/football/irelan...atement-588657

Seems they just turned to face the tricolour for our anthem.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

14. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    The Israelis trying to smear us again, shame on them.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post

Wow. I mean, I wouldn't have blamed them for turning away in the circumstances. But truth is important. And we know from the Wix software scandal last year what the Israelis are like in terms of manipulating social media in favour of their cause.

Utter scumbags.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Ah ffs! Its is increasingly scary that this nuclear armed country are seeing enemies everywhere, paranoid to the point of behaviour that is reminisent of some 1930s political leaders. The conduct of which which ultimately resulted in the foundation of the state of Israel, as crude as that was managed. Will the persecution of another people result in parallel creation of a state to home the persecuted.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 23/02/2024 at 2:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Leave them to it on x or twotter or whatever it's called these days and don't be importing this crap on to foot ie
    Although I haven't been the greatest contributor on this forum recently I've always seen this place as a good space that deals with football and nothing else.
    The owner happily provides a space on this forum for anyone wanting a scrap

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post

Ah here, that's irritating to read. Some commentators making claims about the Irish deserve a slap for starting this fire.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    https://twitter.com/reptracker/statu...GSa2qsKpw&s=19
    The attached link apparently shows the ROI U17 women turning their backs while the iserali national anthem was being played. Surely these kids are too young to fully understand what going on politically, to take this stance. If they really felt that strongly about it they shouldn't have took to the pitch at all.
    Underage sports should not be allowed to make any political statements.
    I’m hearing the Irish players turned to face the Irish flag during the Irish national anthem. Apparently it had nothing to do with the opposition.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Various reports are bing pulled since clarification. Doesnt take away from the waaayyy over the top reaction by Israelis and their rabid with us or against us horse sh1t. Although already at a pretty low bar, I am growing less and less tolerant of Israel in general drven by their ongoing 'reaction' to every and any criticism, perceived or otherwise. Am I an anti-semite because I think that the country of Israel is busting a fly with a sledgehammer....

25. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    I’m hearing the Irish players turned to face the Irish flag during the Irish national anthem. Apparently it had nothing to do with the opposition.
    Just saw that, you will see in my original post I said "apparently" just in case there was an alternative solution or in case it had been doctored in some way.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Various reports are bing pulled since clarification. Doesnt take away from the waaayyy over the top reaction by Israelis and their rabid with us or against us horse sh1t. Although already at a pretty low bar, I am growing less and less tolerant of Israel in general drven by their ongoing 'reaction' to every and any criticism, perceived or otherwise. Am I an anti-semite because I think that the country of Israel is busting a fly with a sledgehammer....
    the majority of Israelis would indeed accuse you of that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Just saw that, you will see in my original post I said "apparently" just in case there was an alternative solution or in case it had been doctored in some way.
    Tets has posted the video of it over in the Ireland forum

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Claims from Israel today that the Ireland team turned away while the Israeli anthem was being played.
    The game against Israel was streamed on YouTube, see below
    The Israeli anthem is played at 2:48, and the Ireland team does not turn around until the Irish anthem is played at 4:18, to face the tricolour
    Ireland went on to win 3-0
    I'm sure the Israeli embassy will be signing up shortly to post rebuttals (as they've tried before)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Tets has posted the video of it over in the Ireland forum

I'm sure the Israeli embassy will be signing up shortly to post rebuttals (as they've tried before)
    I’m sure they will acknowledge they were wrong and apologise, as they’ve done bef.......oh, wait.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast