Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales v. Republic of Ireland - Monday, 9th October 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Aye, I'm aware of that. The article from which I quoted actually went into a bit of detail on it. This was an example of an email received by an Irish supporter trying to buy tickets in the home end:

I was thinking that those who did manage to get tickets for the home end and showed up on the day would be OK (as the FAW won't have an opportunity to re-sell confiscated tickets so close to kick-off), but maybe not.
    Aye, I know a few who are taking the chance and doing that, luckily myself and my lot got sorted in the away end. Either way a weekend away on the lash, even if end up watching it in a pub sure. Never any trouble with us but can see where the FAW are coming from to be fair, technically they're correct in what they're doing. If it wasn't the last game and happened in the early part of the qualifiers I can't see them giving as much of a ****e about it, was plenty of Welsh dotted around Landsdowne earlier in the year and no bother happened.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Going over on Monday in hope rather than expectation on the tickets front. No sign of any so far. Real shame from our perspective it's not on in the millennium

3. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Let's see some predicted starting lineups. Obviously Brady and McClean will come back into the starting lineup and I think we can all agree that O'Dowda will be dropped and it is unlikely that Hoolahan will be anything other than a second half substitute.

Here's what I think Martin O'Neill will go with:

--------------Randolph
    Christie----Duffy---Clark-----Ward
    -----Hendrick-----Meyler-------
    Long---------Brady-------McClean
    -----------Murphy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    I think he might drop long to the bench. Bring in arter in a 5 man mid field

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Let's see some predicted starting lineups. Obviously Brady and McClean will come back into the starting lineup and I think we can all agree that O'Dowda will be dropped and it is unlikely that Hoolahan will be anything other than a second half substitute.

--------------Randolph
    -----------Murphy
    dont like that team. Brady can't play in that role - he's not good enough - needs to play left back / left wing.

id worry about our ball retention too - Wes for Brady -
    also wouldn't start arter - l like him but I don't trust his composure in such a big game

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    I am one of Shane Long’s biggest admirers but is it too much pressure on the man considering the goalscoring form he is in ?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Don't think Long will get the nod. Think Arter will come in and Hendrick will move up to 8.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts

--------------Randolph
    -----------Murphy
    Who would be your counterweights to Ramsey and Joe Allen? They'll dictate the play all night long if they are not challenged. And Hendrick and Meyler certainly won't mix it up with them. Arter will. There is a slight risk with his temperament but we're going to need something in the middle to disrupt long bouts of Welsh possession. Ashley Williams has more than enough about him to negate Murphy, so it's going to be down to a McClean, O'dowda or Brady to find the net for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    My team for Monday

--------- Randolph ---------
    Christie Duffy Clark Brady
    ----- Meyler Hendrick -----
    Long - Hoolahan - McClean
    ---------- Murphy ----------
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    My team for Monday

--------- Randolph ---------
    Christie Duffy Clark Brady
    ----- Meyler Hendrick -----
    Long - Hoolahan - McClean
    ---------- Murphy ----------
    I like that team but ward has done little wrong to be dropped. For me, Brady is over hyped, his set piece delivery is not as good as is proclaimed and has gone missing in a few games this campaign, notably Austria at home. He should be one of our big players and we need a massive game from him on Monday.

Overall on paper we are as good if not better than the Welsh team. Is winning in Wales more difficult than winning in Austria, think not.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I’m guessing Wales will go back to wing backs with 3 CB. If so we need to match up in midfield and really go after their full backs.

Haven’t got a clue who will get picked. We are unpredictable and I like that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Getting the balance right between getting someone sent off and showing the correct amount of aggression is going to be difficult in this game .

James McClean needs a ‘ “ control “ pep talk if he plays .

Harry After must have been trying to show he had an " Aggressive Mindset Capability “ in the cameo against Moldova .

Lets put it this way it would be an easy game to get sent off in .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Who would be your counterweights to Ramsey and Joe Allen? They'll dictate the play all night long if they are not challenged. And Hendrick and Meyler certainly won't mix it up with them. Arter will. There is a slight risk with his temperament but we're going to need something in the middle to disrupt long bouts of Welsh possession. Ashley Williams has more than enough about him to negate Murphy, so it's going to be down to a McClean, O'dowda or Brady to find the net for Ireland
    Fair point. Pushing Hendrick up, dropping Murphy, moving Brady out to the wing and pushing Shane Long up front to make room for Arter is certainly an option. So to answer your question, Meyler and Arter? I suppose Glenn Whelan could get the nod as well, but I don't think he will.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Fair point. Pushing Hendrick up, dropping Murphy, moving Brady out to the wing and pushing Shane Long up front to make room for Arter is certainly an option. So to answer your question, Meyler and Arter? I suppose Glenn Whelan could get the nod as well, but I don't think he will.
    Wise to drop a two goal last game guy to accommodate in Arter a man who has fluffed all his auditions thus far while keeping Long in the eleven ?

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I like that team but ward has done little wrong to be dropped. For me, Brady is over hyped, his set piece delivery is not as good as is proclaimed and has gone missing in a few games this campaign, notably Austria at home. He should be one of our big players and we need a massive game from him on Monday.

Overall on paper we are as good if not better than the Welsh team. Is winning in Wales more difficult than winning in Austria, think not.
    Or to put it another way. Is winning in Wales easier than winning in Georgia, or beating Austria at home. Eh......let me think about that one for awhile.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Hope Whelan doesn't get the not. I'll say no more on that subject. Regarding Hendrick and Meyler they are both floaters - ie they like to float along unruffled and spray passes about the park. It's not going to be that type of game in Cardiff. Another thing, I would not have Long in the starting eleven. He will be hoping to be a sub (deep down I'm talking about) and to see himself come on late and score the winner. I would start McGeady simply because he poses a threat any time he has the ball. But not a bad team otherwise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post

I agree Ward has done nothing wrong but Brady at left back was a means of getting him into the team.

This game being something of a cup tie I don't think form is all that relevant. I think we need as many as possible of our best players on the pitch and giving it their all. Brady at leftback was a means of getting him in the team as well as Hoolahan and McClean.

I'd take him off set pieces though. They've been pathetic thus far in the campaign.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Wise to drop a two goal last game guy to accommodate in Arter a man who has fluffed all his auditions thus far while keeping Long in the eleven ?
    Murphy simply not mobile enough. Unless we are looking to play the long ball, I don't see any place for him in the starting lineup. He scored two goals against Moldova, not Spain or Brazil.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Unless we are looking to play the long ball
    It wouldn't be exactly out of the blue now would it if we did / (when we do)

He scored two goals against Moldova, not Spain or Brazil.
    That's neither here nor there, he scored two vital goals for us and another one away in Serbia.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    I think mcgeady and
    MccLean come into play wide with long up front to give us pace to get out, Brady slots in with meyler(unless McCarthy is wild card) and Hendrick is asked to push on to support long and occupy allen

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast