Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurovision Uberthread

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Talking Eurovision Uberthread

Who do u think should represent Ireland in the Eurovision this year in the Ukraine? If we seriously want Ireland to win, The Henry Girls HAVE to go. Europe will fall for the traditional/instrumental theme and they are excellent singers. Pete Fagan, a guy with a guitar, this has not worked recently. Unfortunately, even if u have a good song/singer, u have to be quite lively and dramatic to win this contest. It kind of helps nowadays also to have plenty of continental neighbours and not be an island, preferably be one of the Balkan countries. I seriously hope the brother sister mcCauls(or something) don't go, they were shocking singing an elvis combination, it scared the sh*te out of me and monsieur Wogan would rip them apart.
    Henry girls- please vote for them

Forza Donegal!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sligoman; 24/12/2005 at 3:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Watched it every year without fail. No more thought. The Eastern european countries are taking the p*ss with their voting. Although I won a fair few quid last 3 years betting that Greece and Cyprus would give each other 12 points. It's a banker this year too

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was always an excuse for a huge session at uni. Load of us would stock up on a huge amount of cheap wine/beer and snacks and all pile into someones room. Watch it, get wasted, then head in to Brighton to carry on the night. happy days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    haven't watched euro star yet this year but heard there was a good group with a harp and all.. ment to be the best of a bad bunch.. will have to tune in this weekend to see what the craic is...
    Is it true Jordan in goin for the english version??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    Is it true Jordan in goin for the english version??

She will have to battle it out with five other hopefuls in a live TV Eurovision Vote on the BBC's show Make Your Mind Up on March 5th
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    l.. ment to be the best of a bad bunch..
    It a master-stroke by RTE:

1) People are strangely sucked into watching cheap rubbish - I'm as guilty as everyone else.
    2) I'm pretty sure that they will get a cut of the phone revenue.
    3) They don't have to worry about the financial implications of actually winning the thing.

All they are short of are the deluded fools that pop up on American Idol and the show would be complete
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Loved the Eurovision when we used to win! The year the Quinn girl won it, everything seemed to go down hill. You're a Star is muck, people are voting for who they know and who they fancy. Its not about singing any more, its a stage show (just look at last years). If you're willing to spend money on costumes etc then grand you have a chance but not with one man and his guitar or girls with violins.
    The best of a bad lot is the McCauls, they have talent but just not the full package.
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Hope we never win it again, hope we finish last and don't qualify for the next one, am generally embarrassed (mercifully rare occasions now) when we do well and wouldn't have Ireland involved if it were up to me. Have watched the voting in the past -just til I'm sure Ireland are dead in the water and then tune out. Shameful waste of money.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr's tribe
    Who do u think should represent Ireland in the Eurovision this year in the Ukraine? If we seriously want Ireland to win, The Henry Girls HAVE to go. Europe will fall for the traditional/instrumental theme and they are excellent singers. Pete Fagan, a guy with a guitar, this has not worked recently. Unfortunately, even if u have a good song/singer, u have to be quite lively and dramatic to win this contest. It kind of helps nowadays also to have plenty of continental neighbours and not be an island, preferably be one of the Balkan countries. I seriously hope the brother sister mcCauls(or something) don't go, they were shocking singing an elvis combination, it scared the sh*te out of me and monsieur Wogan would rip them apart.
    Henry girls- please vote for them
    RTE promised us a different take on YAS this year, and what did we get? The same format as before, with schoolkids voting for their local representative in the show. The special show, where the public could choose the Eurovision song after the performer was selected, has been cancelled.

Only 10 countries in the ESC semi-final, qualify for the ESC final, and as we're up against all the Balkan, and Baltic countries who vote for their neighbours, it will take a great song, and performance from our ESC performers in the semi-final to have any chance of making the final 2 nights later. I think if we send the brother and sister, with Jade as the backing dancers, and an upbeat, vibrant, pop song with good choreography, it may make an impression on European televoters. That's what you need to do well in Eurovision now.

And RTE, whatever you do, don't even attempt to ask anyone to write slow ballads for the YAS winner to sing in ESC this year. If we send a ballad to Eurovision after last year's disaster, noone in Europe will vote for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Ah sure the Eurovision is a bit of craic... thought we were relegated for a year cos we finished so badly though? We've got it wrong for the last two years, guys with guitars and white suits just do not work, what the European audiences seem to demand is the tackiest show for 3 minutes with as much as flesh displayed as possible!!! Have to say love Terry Wogan's commentary on it though on the Beeb.... Apparantly Australia covered the event one year with Wogan commentating from a BBC link, they did their own link the next year and they were so ****ed off they wanted that "sarky Irish bloke" back doing commentary!!!
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Not so sure about that. I know it costs RTE a fortune, but to advertise a country across every major station in Europe for a few hours on a night would cost a lot more. When you think how much Riverdance made out of it, it's pretty cheap, only problem is that was a private venture. It's a bit like the Olympics on a miniature scale, economically it's not viable, but you'll never commend the attention of an international audience by pumping money into Fair City....
    For what purpose? Tourism? Because the tourism dividend thing (How many of you scratched yeer chins after Latvia won and said "y'know Latvia might be nice this summer") is one of the biggest lies foisted on this country down the years regarding the exchequer flushing money into our participation in Eurovision -which as you rightly point out -benefits only private individuals or enterprises -be they Riverdance or that witch Linda Martin moving up a rung from from pub gigs and wedding receptions to corporate do's.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The only way to watch Eurovision is to do a sweep in the pub. Great excuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    enjoying all the comments to my thread, yes indeed, to win the grand trophy, u have to jump around(preferably being a flesh-revealing human who is easy on the eye) and be dramatic and repeat the same line all the time. shame! i think the rules should state the countries must sing in their own language( countries such as belgium or switzerland can choose one of theirs) and i would love to see more traditional music(instrumental) from each country(uk would be lost ) the fact that a lot of the countries sing in english(sometimes with a dodgy accent) ruins it, some languages are beautiful sung(spanish, russian etc) i have been listening to some of the already selected songs , not too bad some of them, but Albania takes the biscuit, it is shocking, Bulgaria is really westernized boy-band and cyprus is a copycat hilarious version of the greek entry last year. actually turkey's song reminds me of the ukraine's winning song last year, but the singer is better than ukraine.i heard jordan singing, jaysus, not good at all! ok...u are all sleeping now......sorry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    they are jade, they are still in it. two sets of sisters, i think the henry girls are better though. more likely to win. if u check on the rte website look for you're a star, u can listen to their songs, read about it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    RTE promised us a different take on YAS this year, and what did we get? The same format as before, with schoolkids voting for their local representative in the show. The special show, where the public could choose the Eurovision song after the performer was selected, has been cancelled.

Only 10 countries in the ESC semi-final, qualify for the ESC final, and as we're up against all the Balkan, and Baltic countries who vote for their neighbours, it will take a great song, and performance from our ESC performers in the semi-final to have any chance of making the final 2 nights later. I think if we send the brother and sister, with Jade as the backing dancers, and an upbeat, vibrant, pop song with good choreography, it may make an impression on European televoters. That's what you need to do well in Eurovision now.

And RTE, whatever you do, don't even attempt to ask anyone to write slow ballads for the YAS winner to sing in ESC this year. If we send a ballad to Eurovision after last year's disaster, noone in Europe will vote for us.
    As regards last year's entry even the songwriter Brian McFadden said the song was not very good. Enough said. If you pick a poor song with no dramatics you're screwed. Given that it is Eurovision you have to expect a poor quality of song. However the song poor and all as it may be has to have a selling point.

What we need to even reach the final this year would be something with a rap bit in Irish in the middle of it

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its great and its gettin better....The brother and sis combo have to go...with the right image and song they could do well...everyone else left are pants.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover
    Its great and its gettin better....The brother and sis combo have to go...with the right image and song they could do well...everyone else left are pants.......
    oh my god u must be drunk , are u serious? those 2 ? did u see them destroy an elvis song last week? i was dying watching it. we would be the laughing stock of europe if they went and terry wogan would rip the pish completely don't ya think? why u still awake? what is ur excuse?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    well, i still think the henry girls should go to the eurovision, they need votes, there are too many teeny-boppers voting for the milky-bar kid and his mother they are good singers(ballads) but their type of song and look will not win eurovision. jade are ok, but again i think they will not suit a winning eurovision song please next sunday vote henry girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    I wont be watching or voting......
    u have to vote for Ireland and the henry girls to actually get there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    So YAS's quarter-final resulted in the final male soloist eliminated. This year will be the first time we'll have female performers in ESC since the Bronagh sisters went to Jerusalem in '99, got 12 points from the first jury, Lithuania, before the rest of Europe woke up, and handed them just 6 more points. Our best chance of doing well at last year's contest went when Jean Elliot went out in the YAS semi-final. Her song was upbeat, catchy, just what's needed in Eurovision. Instead we sent an awful ballad, written in half-a-night by an inexperienced songwriter, and which was a total embarrassment compared to what Greece, Serbia, Bosnia, and Ukraine performed in the contest.

Sorry, but I don't think the Henry Girls cut the Eurovision mustard somehow. They've been on the verge of elimination twice in the past three weeks, because they're drab, and boring. A surefire way to not qualify for the final. As most of our Eurovision successes have been from female performers, I think that Jade might be best suited to go, from who's left in YAS. However, I think the McCauls will probably win it. With the right song and performance, they may make an impression, but they'll need help from backing performers to carry it off, and Jade may support them that way.

More than half of the countries in this year's Eurovision, have chosen their entries. Last weekend saw Russia and Ukraine, amongst others, choose their entries, even though there are suspicions that the votes were rigged in both countries. The Maltese artist was chosen during a power failure, and the venue for this year's contest is still under construction also.

UK and Ireland choose their participants this weekend, so good luck to Gina G, and Jade.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast