Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurovision Uberthread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I have nothing against Finland, or Lordi themselves, they are an established band in their own country, however I have a problem with the song they performed in the contest. Even the Finnish Prime Minister objected to their participation in the contest.

At their aftershow press conference, they asked for no copycat acts of theirs in future contests. I hope that when the circus moves to Helsinki, the focus will shift from masks back to music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    I hope that when the circus moves to Helsinki, the focus will shift from masks back to music.
    If the focus shifts to music then that will be a first for the Eurovision. I would hardly call the tripe that is played at the Eurovision music. Its more like noise for the musically inept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    however I have a problem with the song they performed in the contest. Even the Finnish Prime Minister objected to their participation in the contest.

first of all what is your problem with the song? di u read the lyrics posted on the first page of this thread? theyre about as offensive as the Teletubbies song. what the hell sort of eejit thinks these guys are actually scary or dangerous? theyre a god damn pantomine. im a big heavy metal fan and i wouldnt listen to that crap anyday. i think you read in the paper that this band were "heavy metal" and dressed up as "monsters" and decided you werent going to like them because you're small minded. you probably didnt even watch the eurovision, you had your argument pre prepared after reading about them in the Sun or whatever crap you probaby read.

Secodly, if the Finnish Prime minister walked of a cliff would you walk iff it with him?? worst argument ever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought Lordi were brilliant - a complete contrast to the banal supermarket muzak that usually fills Eurovision.

I thought there was one of them that was more Orcish than Klingon - they were certainly nowhere near as scary as Lord of the Rings, and the cinema was full of kids when it was screened.

The lyrics are fairly pale and inoffensive compared to most Metal bands - and are completely clean compared to the stuff turned out by many rappers.

If anyone out there is old enough, do you think there was a touch of Alice Cooper about them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    im old enough to know who alice cooper is but too young to remember what he was like they do have shades of Kiss about them. a really woeful Kiss tribute band would be just about at their level! and one of em did have an orcish twang to his appearance alright. their costumes are awfully unoriginal giving the fact that they seemed to be based on creatures from popular sci-fi/fantasy and the seem to be just ripping off the slipknot image as well. particularly the part were the're never seen out of costme. thats been done before. they're pure crap but hundreds of times better than Brian "i used to do backing vocals for Van" Kennedy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by REVIP
    If anyone out there is old enough, do you think there was a touch of Alice Cooper about them?
    Melody is quite similar to "Poison"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Tribe
    didn't i tell ya mypost, you were so wrong AS USUAL about our brian
    Where have you been lately??

He did well, but with a better song, he might have finished less than 199 points behind the winner. As Bulgaria, Cyprus, and Israel showed again this year, ballads very rarely score well at Eurovision. And they have plenty of neighbours to collect points from too. Our failure to win the contest this year, means it's now our longest run without a win, since entering in 1965.

I liked the slick new voting procedure, it cuts out a lot of tedious time-wasting. But surely, they should reduce the maximum points available from 12 to 10. With more countries voting now, it's usually over as a contest with 10 countries to go. Under the 1-12 point system, Russia lost by 40-odd points this year, Greece won by a similiar margin last year, Ukraine won by a comfortable margin the year before. If they introduced a system from 1-10 points, we might have a few more nail-biters, and would be more exciting to watch.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    and this is coming from someone who says that the contest lost its meaning in the late 80's.

WTF.
    In the 1980's it was just so behind the times it was funny... now it hasn't even got that kitsch value!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The survey on the voting was interesting gets back to a point from way back in this thread. Ireland should invited Belgrade's Orthodox Celts to represent us in 2007 especially if they are not asked by their own country! That's the way to get the Former Yugoslav bloc votes in our favour... right Partizan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Sickened. Was going to put a bet on when first heard about it about 25/1. By the time i finally got a chance to bet, 7/1.... still won though!
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts
    It was sticking out that they had a great chance if people decided to rip the pi** out of the competition.I won 300 euro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Thought it was a very decent song, and its just pure theatre and a bit of craic! Even the Irish backing singers seemed to enjoy it juding by the pics the next day. Great stuff, was Finnish Saturday night! Incidentally who was yer one who introduced the Irish votes from Dublin? The Belarus lass with the glasses was amazing!
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    She was Emer Quinn who won it 10 years ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Video of 'Devil is a Loser is online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujtNdoB6xQ&search=Devil%20is%20a%20loser'

Alice Cooper without a mask is more terrifying!

http://www.alicecooper.com/gallery/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I would have voted for the Lithuainain one if I hadnt had voted for the Finnish effort so I dont think think it was all Lithuanians that voted for it here

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    I would have voted for the Lithuainain one if I hadnt had voted for the Finnish effort
    Same here thought they were a great laugh!
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I suppose the question is should we bother entering it anymore?

Sent the amatures last year and failed miserably, sent a pro this year and
    didnt win. It's surely finally been to be a bit of a p!ss take of a competition.
    Its a waste of money sending people to it in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinharp
    Same here thought they were a great laugh!
    I have to say it was a great ballsy idea from the Lithuanians. Probably not the first time someone's tried to brainwash an entire continent into voting for them but definitely the first attempt that featured frantic idiot-dancing from a Harry Hill-lookalike.

I love that it was such a one-off all-or-nothing gamble:

We are the winners. Of Eurovision
    No you're not. Which means you can never sing it again and no-one will ever buy your record. Even our Brian will probably make a few quid off his song by playing it safe instead of going down in a blaze of glory/shameless begging.

VOTE. VOTE. Vote for the winners.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by REVIP
    I thought Lordi were brilliant - a complete contrast to the banal supermarket muzak that usually fills Eurovision.
    I Agree, it's amazing when you cross Metallica with Boy George on Steroids.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PAURO 7
    Sickened. Was going to put a bet on when first heard about it about 25/1. By the time i finally got a chance to bet, 7/1.... still won though!

Likewise Pauro, as late as Friday I could've gotten 12/1 but missed the bookie and half thought it might drift back out a bit anyway. Same as yourself it was 7/1 by the time I got my tenner on. (high roller me )

It was evident by the time the third vote came in that it was on.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast