it's more likely to be 5-1.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d f x-
    I don't watch it anymore.....I need not pretend
    you get your own personal updates though....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Tribe
    Feck off with yer Brainless Kennedy
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Lionel no like this.

I think we should send that victorian freak-show tweedle dee and tweedle dum again. The people of Athlone demand it -hear their cry.

Send forth the one legged man - the @rse kicking competition is set to begin!
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    Lionel no like this.

I think we should send that victorian freak-show tweedle dee and tweedle dum again. The people of Athlone demand it -hear their cry.

Send forth the one legged man - the @rse kicking competition is set to begin!
    King Brian will bring the trophy home!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    that's what worries me.

I can picture him now -singing some camp quasi religious twaddle most likely composed by Brendan Graham with a bit of help from Brian mcFatten to inject a bit of "cool". Jesus wept.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Talking Putting Lionel's mind at ease...

Click here for some more info on our Brian...

Fab voice. Come on, compare him to the Milky Bar Kid and his momma from Athlone that we sent last year!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Kennedy reactions

Personally, I have my doubts about Kennedy. While the reaction has been generally positive overall, I would be concerned that while he has the ability to perform well, it's clear that the show has changed irrevocably since our last win, and sending him to Athens could well backfire on RTE. Generally, traditional music/ballads (his forté) don't score well, and there will almost certainly be no "visuals" on stage to accompany the song. Couple that with the mass Eastern bloc voting, and it's going to be very difficult for him, and indeed us, to qualify for the final on that basis. I think it's a gamble by RTE to send him to Eurovision, and it could ruin his career if he fails in the contest.

Will he be another Mark Roberts/Mickey Harte, or alternatively Gary O'Shaughnessy Mark II?? Find out on May 19th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    Kennedy reactions
    Personally, I have my doubts about Kennedy. While the reaction has been generally positive overall, I would be concerned that while he has the ability to perform well, it's clear that the show has changed irrevocably since our last win, and sending him to Athens could well backfire on RTE. Generally, traditional music/ballads (his forté) don't score well, and there will almost certainly be no "visuals" on stage to accompany the song. Couple that with the mass Eastern bloc voting, and it's going to be very difficult for him, and indeed us, to qualify for the final on that basis. I think it's a gamble by RTE to send him to Eurovision, and it could ruin his career if he fails in the contest.

Will he be another Mark Roberts/Mickey Harte, or alternatively Gary O'Shaughnessy Mark II?? Find out on May 19th.
    Who's to say there will be no visuals on stage? I cannot believe they will stick him there on his own Brian is no cod, he will be highly involved in every stage of this performance and will have a say in what goes. They will not go for a straight ballad, even though his voice is well suited to it. They know these ballads do not work, however did Malta and some other country(Latvia?) not finish in the top 5 with ballads last year.....The bloc voting is a problem, only good thing is there are more and more east Europeans in Ireland so we tend to be getting more votes from Poland, Latvia etc.

Also I think Ireland has realised that it is important to send someone who is actually known in Europe, like other acts that have done well, recent Greek acts, Helena Paparizou and Sakis for e.g.

Previous winners have had some traditional elements to it, Ruslana had the Ukrainian wild dances, music was traditional to a mountain area in Ukraine. Helena last year had elements of Greek music in hers and Turkey Sertab whatever her name had a very typical Turkish instrumental theme.

Regarding Brian's career, well he is 40 now and has already established himself, it is not as if he is just starting out or in the middle of his career. He would not have chosen to do this unless he felt he had the ability and experience to do well. That's all I expect and hope for in the competition, that we get our credibility back in the contest, actually MAKE a final and finish in the top 10. To win would be a huge bonus though...

I am very optimistic about it, can't wait, put it this way, we can't do any worse than last year! And who would you choose, those 2 gimps from last year or Brian? Speaking of which some gossip on those 2 gimps!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    some gossip on those 2 gimps
    We'll leave the gossip to those who care.

They will not go for a straight ballad. They know these ballads do not work.
    We Irish are balladeers. And you can be sure that the public here will vote for another soppy ballad yet again for the contest. They don't work in Eurovision, because most people who watch it, are not interested in listening to 3-minute long boring bawls.

The bloc voting is a problem
    The same problem of course, that will guarantee us 12 points from the UK in 2006.

there are more and more east Europeans in Ireland so we tend to be getting more votes from Poland, Latvia etc.
    There is no evidence suggesting that they vote for us in increasing numbers.

Previous winners have had some traditional elements to it, Ruslana had the Ukrainian wild dances, music was traditional to a mountain area in Ukraine. Helena last year had elements of Greek music in hers and Turkey Sertab whatever her name had a very typical Turkish instrumental theme.
    Yes, Greece and Turkey have sent ethno songs for 30 odd years, and the reward for all that is 1 win apiece. Greece's winning song was a straight-forward pop song, written and performed by professionals. Turkey's winning song had a strong Austrian influence, as they were the dancers. Ukraine's song in 2004 was not an ethno entry. There are plenty of ethno failures too e.g. Estonia 2004, and Croatia/Turkey 2005. The televoters want to hear upbeat catchy numbers in English, not traditional music in a language that nobody else understands, or ballads that bore everyone to sleep.

I am very optimistic about it, can't wait, put it this way, we can't do any worse than last year!
    Oh yes we can do worse, and I fear we will. BK wouldn't have been my choice, he wouldn't have even been considered tbh. I fear that after all the years of RTE saying we will do better next year, they will continue to embarrass us in the contest. Failure to make the final, could have a major negative impact on Kennedy's career and image, and I fear that he doesn't realise exactly how tough it's going to be. Eurovision is not a straight-forward gig. To succeed, you need to come up with something a bit different. Can he do it? I'm not so sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    The fact that this thread has reached 16 pages is what's worrying me.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    The fact that this thread has reached 16 pages is what's worrying me.
    It's only 8 pages long, on my site set-up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

Update

With less than 5 months to go to the 2006 event, preparations for the contest are in full swing. Many countries will choose through YAS-style semi-finals, and finals. Only the Big 4 and Sweden have yet to get their Eurovision plans up for next year off the ground, but will do so soon. By this time next month, there will be 3-4 countries choosing their performers every weekend for Athens.

There were 450 entries submitted from all around the country, wishing to be selected as the song to represent Ireland in Athens. Shay Healy, and Brendan Graham will whittle them all down to a shortlist of 4 entries to be voted on by the public in the Spring.

Other Eurovision news sees Albania and Switzerland also select their performers in 2006. In Albania's case, they will have a Male artist on stage for the first time in the contest, while Switzerland have chosen a group of 6 members from 6 different countries. Johnny Logan will judge the Belgian entry for Eurovision in Athens. Meanwhile, Hungary's MTV, after making their return to the show in 2005 following an 11-year break, have withdrawn from the contest once again, mainly on financial grounds.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    update

oh jaysus

Brian Kennedy is playing in Glasgow tonight, but i can't make it unfortunately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Update:

I don't like the Eurovision anymore.

Come on boys and girls...is there need for such in depth analysis for the Eurovision...?
    Last edited by dfx-; 17/01/2006 at 4:11 PM.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d f x-
    Update:

I don't like the Eurovision anymore.

Come on boys and girls...is there need for such in depth analysis for the Eurovision...?
    heh heh, wonder who you're quoting from, snigger.......

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    heh heh, wonder who you're quoting from, snigger.......
    I wish Brian Kennedy well. But if we do not get far in this year's competition I wish to reiterate an idea that Partizan would concur with .

Invite Belgrade's own Irish folk music/ trad band The Orthodox Celts to represent us in 2007. As they are one of the most popular bands in ex-Yugoslavia they would garner votes from all 5 parts of the former federation currently in the Contest. This would diffuse a lot of the block voting from the Balkans and would keep Ireland in the frame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Well, the "competition" to find the song for Kennedy in Eurovision turned out to be a) a fix, and b) crap. As usual with Kennedy, he cannot sing anything else except a ballad, and despite writers, and composers sending literally hundreds of better entries, Kennedy's own song was chosen. His own song may be typically Irish, but it's Gary O'Shaughnessy-esque, and hasn't a prayer at Eurovision.

The Brits make their minds up about Athens this weekend, as do the Croats. The Germans, Swedes, and French decide soon also, given that there are only 2 weeks left to choose a song for the 2006 contest. Las Ketchup are performing for Spain!

Of those that have decided, there are already some firm favourites, like Norway, Turkey, and especially Belgium, where RTBF have sent the well reknowned Kate Ryan to Athens; her looks, and song may well bring the title back to Brussels for the first time in 20 years. Already, it's a chart-topper around the continent, and yes, Je t'adore it too. Re: Kennedy, he may as well not turn up, as his song is of Father Ted standard.
    Last edited by mypost; 04/03/2006 at 8:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    Well, the "competition" to find the song for Kennedy in Eurovision turned out to be a) a fix, and b) crap. As usual with Kennedy, he cannot sing anything else except a ballad, and despite writers, and composers sending literally hundreds of better entries, Kennedy's own song was chosen. His own song may be typically Irish, but it's Gary O'Shaughnessy-esque, and hasn't a prayer at Eurovision.

Of those that have decided, there are already some firm favourites, like Norway, Turkey, and especially Belgium, where RTBF have sent the well reknowned Kate Ryan to Athens; her looks, and song may well bring the title back to Brussels for the first time in 20 years. Already, it's a chart-topper around the continent, and yes, Je t'adore it too. Re: Kennedy, he may as well not turn up, as his song is of Father Ted standard.
    oh, cop on, brian kennedy is an amazing singer Sure you thought the brother and sister geeks for ireland last year were great
    I really hope it works well for him, i have not heard the song yet.

Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast