Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurovision Uberthread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    If Ireland would every like to do something meaningful again in this competition (though the words Eurosong and meaningful don't really go together) then take the vote away from the people. Democracy doesn't work damnit.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    If Ireland would every like to do something meaningful again in this competition (though the words Eurosong and meaningful don't really go together) then take the vote away from the people. Democracy doesn't work damnit.
    Hear hear!!, Linda Martin will be smug tonight, she did not agree with the mcCauls at all. I call for the re-union of Yugoslavia now!!!

even holland did not make it, she was a great singer..

i can't remember, does this mean we miss a year or does that only happen when you come in the last 4 or something. Bring back Johnny Logan and he will find us a good song&singer. Down with 'You're a Star'!!!!

I look forward to mypost's post sometime tonight, must be devastated, he had more belief in the mccaul's than me.
    Last edited by sligoman; 24/12/2005 at 3:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr's tribe
    I call for the re-union of Yugoslavia now!!!
    Along with the rebirth of the Soviet Union and the restoration of Danish rule over Scandinavia and the rebuilding of the Holy Roman Empire.

Though Slovenia has a semi-tele voting semi-judge panel system and the least popular guy somehow got in. I'm not sure how Ireland should work it. It seems all of the entrants are relatively dry on talent and or originality anyway.

i can't remember, does this mean we miss a year or does that only happen when you come in the last 4 or something. Bring back Johnny Logan and he will find us a good song&singer. Down with 'You're a Star'!!!!

I look forward to mypost's post sometime tonight, must be devastated, he had more belief in the mccaul's than me.
    Good question (or perhaps not given the general topic ). I think only the dead last get relegated out. We won't find out how horrendus we did until after the final voting on Saturday as they don't want to reveal the votes of this round as if may affect later voting.
    Last edited by sligoman; 24/12/2005 at 3:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Good question (or perhaps not given the general topic ). I think only the dead last get relegated out. We won't find out how horrendus we did until after the final voting on Saturday as they don't want to reveal the votes of this round as if may affect later voting.
    yeah but is it the last few of the final that get relegated for a year......the semi-final does not count i think, we just have to qualify again we did get relegated not that long ago i remember......

Along with the rebirth of the Soviet Union and the restoration of Danish rule over Scandinavia and the rebuilding of the Holy Roman Empire.

Though Slovenia has a semi-tele voting semi-judge panel system and the least popular guy somehow got in. I'm not sure how Ireland should work it. It seems all of the entrants are relatively dry on talent and or originality anyway.
    yeah!!!! then we just might win something!!!
    Last edited by sligoman; 24/12/2005 at 3:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    yeah but is it the last few of the final that get relegated for a year......the semi-final does not count i think, we just have to qualify again we did get relegated not that long ago i remember......
    Jaysus look at me discussing this thing like it was serious. Influence of the girlfriend I tell you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Jaysus look at me discussing this thing like it was serious. Influence of the girlfriend I tell you.
    wise lady, she's a fan then, i take it? It is so bloody addictive though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    wise lady, she's a fan then, i take it? It is so bloody addictive though
    Sort of. She also comes from Slovenia so we look at each other's entrants and laugh and then vote for our respective entrants anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Sort of. She also comes from Slovenia so we look at each other's entrants and laugh and then vote for our respective entrants anyway.
    oh right, they had Omar singing tonight(i think) Jesus , that was bad, I don't think it went through, thank God. No offence...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    oh right, they had Omar singing tonight(i think) Jesus , that was bad, I don't think it went through, thank God. No offence...
    He was an accidental entrant of their bizarre voting system and she was pleased to see him out.

She's disgusted the Croatian entrant got through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    He was an accidental entrant of their bizarre voting system and she was pleased to see him out.

She's disgusted the Croatian entrant got through.
    It was craaaaap, could not believe croatia got through, i like the sound of croatian sung, but it was utter sh!te

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    It was craaaaap, could not believe croatia got through, i like the sound of croatian sung, but it was utter sh!te
    It's the same kind of pish they always enter. Totally their type of music. That's Adriatic style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

Angry Disaster!!

Holy ****!!!!!!!
    I think that best sums up what most people think about the result, don't you???

As expected, most of the countries that qualified were Eastern ones. The actual songs from those countries was irrelevant. Croatia, and Macedonia qualified from the "Balkan Bloc". Hungary, Israel, Moldova, and Romania qualified with Latvia too. Denmark, and Norway went through from the "Scandinavian" block, while Switzerland won the only Western spot, (with an Estonian group).

No Iceland, No Ireland, No Belgium, No Holland, No Portugal. See a pattern here...?? Western countries hopelessly fail in the contest once again. Most of my favourites failed, was particularly disappointed for Iceland, Lithuania, Estonia, and Belarus. They had good songs, but failed to make it.

So it's back to the drawing board for us, and the semi final again next year. YAS will need another re-think next year. The first year we got the last 2004 final qualifying spot, while last year and this year we failed to qualify for this year's final.

People complain about the voting system in Eurovision, but it's the same principle as what happens in YAS, where guess what, everyone votes for their local singer, every week!!! As we can't vote for ourselves in Eurovision, maybe RTE/Eircom should come up with a system where you can't vote for the singer from your local area in YAS also. Otherwise drop the programme, and come up with a new formula for selecting our participant, and song for the contest.

People tell me often that Eurovision is s-hit. But where else would you get global televisual audience of 1 Billion every year? The truth is that it's a contest of a very high standard nowadays, if you don't take the contest seriously, and if you don't have the right package(artist, song, act, PR) you'll get humiliated on the night. Yes, we in Ireland are at a disadvantage with the way the voting system is now, but we don't help ourselves when we send talentless wannabees, and useless amateurs to sing crap songs, in front of a massive TV audience. The Eastern European countries send their best artists to Eurovision, select good songs, spend vast amounts of money to support them with pr trips to other countries, thereby creating awareness of them to gain votes, and treat the contest seriously. That brings them their success. That's what we need to do. Until we treat the contest seriously, and stop dismissing it as s-hit, we cannot compete with them in Eurovision.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Once again Westmeath disgrace the country

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Morning Ireland this morning and they McCauls are on saying it's the voting system - the same lame excuse as the last three years about Eastern European countries voting for each other....

If that's the case, well how come all these fookin countries were in the bloody semi final in the first place? Surely they'd be voted through in the main event and the whole semi would be "western" countries.

Shít song, shít format to pick the song and the singers, but RTE make too much money out of it so not willing to go back to the old ways, and then use their "news" programmes to propogate the myth about voting. Afterall didn't seem to effect Israel too much last night.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo
    Once again Westmeath disgrace the country
    Less of that Ringo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    its the first plane home and back to the halting site for Donna and Joseph.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    its the first plane home and back to the halting site for Donna and Joseph.
    Pa Doran from last year'll be waiting for them
    Last edited by Ringo; 20/05/2005 at 12:33 PM. Reason: name spelt wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Its Doran Ringo..

He's as knackerino as you come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    No Iceland, No Ireland, No Belgium, No Holland, No Portugal. See a pattern here...?? Western countries hopelessly fail in the contest once again. Most of my favourites failed, was particularly disappointed for Iceland, Lithuania, Estonia, and Belarus. They had good songs, but failed to make it.

In fairness, Iceland c*cked it up with the vocals, Belgium deserved to be shot on the spot, Holland was a tribute to Whitney Houston, but i liked it, Portugal were pretty pathetic. And Ireland, well, Karl Broderick is partly to blame for that, his lyrics were childish etc etc.

So it was not all down to eastern voting; Poland, Lithuania, Estonia and Belarus all missed out. The Eurovision seems to be extremely popular in the new smaller countries, former Yugoslavia, and are fanatical about voting, people in the western countries are not as excited about eurovision anymore.

I think the voting should have been open for longer, i only was able to call 5 times! And the songs towards the end of the show had to wait a lot longer to get the number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just pointing out that televoting changed nothing: juries also 'favoured' neighbours, it's just because there were less Eastern European participants that it was less remarkable but it happened all the time as well. And can you blame Croatia for sharing a more or less same general taste and culture in music when they're close to each other ?!

"Belgium to be shot on the spot" But TBH I'm not surprised to read that. Belgium has a good music scene but many talented bands seem not interested in Eurovision anymore, mainly ex-stars who try to re-boost their carreer. The most talented bands will enter national competitions who usually get more attention from local media and audience, same happened in Italy where the San Remo festival was seen as more important than Eurovision. And after a while Italy just didn't bother anymore to take part...
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast