Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Bray statement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    If Bray are removed from the division, the fairest thing is to wipe the results. The puts all teams on a even position vis a vis a side that had to withdraw.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    On one hand the sanctions seem laughable, on the other I'm not sure what else the FAI could do that's meaningful within current rules. A points deduction is like stealing a bald man's comb, but why not allow them to sign players on amateur terms to replace free agent pros and see out the season? And is there any reason why revenue from the Irn Bru couldn't be ringfenced for players' wages? It seems daft to remove any revenue stream from a club that needs, well, revenue.

If there's anything in this it's that it shows - yet again - that we're long past time there needs to be an overhaul of the rules so that bad directors face personal consequences.
    1. Automatic reporting of suspected infringements to the Director of Corporate Enforcement, Gardaí, Revenue etc where relevant.
    2. Minimum length bans from any football-related activity for directors who bring clubs to these situations.
    3. Application for personal judgements for any financial liabilities.
    4. Hefty fines for directors rather than clubs for maladministration.
    5. Appointment of independent directors on crisis boards for a minimum period, with all subsequent directors having to pass a meaninful fit and proper test.

I've said much of this here before, but if the prospect of losing your business and family home was a consequence of deliberate or negligent mismanagement, it would make some of the chancers who flit around the league think twice before swaggering in like a bloody bunch of pirates.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    So sorry to see any club suffer like this, feel bad for the genuine fans of any club in trouble.
    Could the FAI not immediately revoke the current license of Bray and appoint an interim board which would see the season out?
    It could galvanise what is left of the club's support and maybe encourage back those volunteers the club dispensed with in recent years. Those that have the club at heart.
    As eminence said there needs to be consequences for maladministration by directors but then again with what passes for corporate governance in this country I won't hold my breath.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    What support?? Part of the reason they are in this is precisely that they have no support. Couple of hundred people at games. Wont be any real loss to the league next year.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    Could the FAI not immediately revoke the current license of Bray and appoint an interim board which would see the season out?
    Who would that be? LoI directors don't exactly grow on trees.

And how would that help the players get paid?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Well, maybe the problem is some LoI directors in the first case. There are lots of good people, no doubt, but there also well-intentioned but ineffectual volunteers and wilful saboteurs. There are plenty of directors nationwide who could bring a lot of experience and a fresh perspective to the league. They don't have to be former club directors. The Institute of Directors has up on 3,000 members. Every LEO, third-level campus incubator, management consultancy, accounting, legal, PR and marketing firm, etc has experienced people. You need finance, governance, local community, football and a chairperson: accountant, lawyer, club member/fans group, former player/football administrator, AN Other. To be honest, in a crisis, finance, governance and a chair would do. And maybe a board charged with operating in the clubs' interest might actually run it properly, without siphoning off income or making a land grab? You know, put players and creditors first, a bit like a receivership attempts to trade out of crisis, or prepare for sale as a going concern.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Very hard to get people to volunteer for a role as a director in a company with limited or no resources.

Any club that defaults on wages should have to deposit a minimum of 4 months wages with the FAI before being allowed to enter the league the next season.
    That isn't impossible as theoretically if a club went fully amateur there would be no wages so the emphasis would be on the club to find the money up front or accept they need to lower the budget to whatever they can raise.
    If they default again the FAI can step in but if that has to happen then its points deduction and exclusion from the league for a minimum of 3 years, plus the directors cant be involved for a minimum of 5 years again.
    I know its not perfect but something has to change.
    The FAI will probably now come out with some even more stringent criteria for next year as they wont want to risk this happening again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Who would that be? LoI directors don't exactly grow on trees.

And how would that help the players get paid?
    It mightn't help straight away but an interim group coupled with the realisation that the existing board have been removed might mean a bounce in the gates. See the season out and then encourage a supporters run group to take over the club.
    The LOI is the last place to look for new directors.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Remaining games will probably be given as walkovers rather then all results expunged.
    I think the precedent (Monaghan) saw all results expunged but who knows ?

Difficult to see how the FAI could do much more than the (non)sanctions imposed but perhaps a lowering of the admin/registration charge with monies put aside to form a fund for future cases should be considered (somewhat like the uninsured drivers fund) ? this might encourage other clubs to be less understanding of this messing and would at least provide some income continuance for players in the future. Obviously clubs acting the maggot would increase future premiums so it might 'encourage' clubs to police a bit better. somebody has to take control and Fran ain't the man !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Dundalk have dropped 2 points to Bray but Cork have dropped none.
    Dundalk would go six points clear with 1 less game to play in the season....game set and match if it isn't already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Dundalk have dropped 2 points to Bray but Cork have dropped none.
    Dundalk would go six points clear with 1 less game to play in the season....game set and match if it isn't already.
    BTW I agree with you RE walkovers for remaining games but I think results were expunged in case of Monaghan. not sure if there is a definite rule on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Very hard to get people to volunteer for a role as a director in a company with limited or no resources.

Any club that defaults on wages should have to deposit a minimum of 4 months wages with the FAI before being allowed to enter the league the next season.
    That isn't impossible as theoretically if a club went fully amateur there would be no wages so the emphasis would be on the club to find the money up front or accept they need to lower the budget to whatever they can raise.
    If they default again the FAI can step in but if that has to happen then its points deduction and exclusion from the league for a minimum of 3 years, plus the directors cant be involved for a minimum of 5 years again.
    I know its not perfect but something has to change.
    The FAI will probably now come out with some even more stringent criteria for next year as they wont want to risk this happening again.
    100% agree. So many people that I've suggested similar to have always found reasons why this shouldn't be done but something has to change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    It mightn't help straight away but an interim group coupled with the realisation that the existing board have been removed might mean a bounce in the gates. See the season out and then encourage a supporters run group to take over the club.
    A bounce in gate receipts would be just a drop in the ocean.

Let's say it costs 250k/annum to run a fully amateur LoI club. Let's then say same again for wages - 500k. That's 40k+ a month before you start looking at paying off any old debts.

An extra 200 people a game twice a month is 4k. On top of what - 10k/month they're currently taking in? It's nothing.

Didn't Bray do this though? Don't know if it was four months' worth, but a figure of 100k is mentioned here.

Don't mean to come across as excusing Bray or the FAI here, but the realities are that our league is such a basket case that it's actually hard to punish anyone. Especially when we need every club we can get just to make up the numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Russell steps down as manager at Bray.

https://braywanderersfc.ie/martin-ru...wn-as-manager/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    "The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later."

What's that mean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Martin Russell – Statement
    Due to the constraints and unrealistic circumstances that have unfolded in recent times at Bray Wanderers FC, it is with deep regret that I have made the decision to resign as manager.
    I would like to thank all the staff, supporters and players for their efforts whilst at the club. It has been a trying time for everyone concerned and highlights once again the lack of a proper football industry that we can all aspire to.
    I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to Gerry Mulvey, the club’s chairman who, like myself, staff, players and supporters, is as much a victim of the sorry state of affairs that we find ourselves in.
    Gerry has always been honest with me, but unfortunately promises made to him have constantly been reneged on and, despite his tireless efforts, he has been unable to find enough support throughout the business world and the FAI in order to bring matters to a viable resolution.
    I believe Gerry has always wanted something beneficial for football to come out of his involvement with Bray Wanderers FC and its participation in the Airtricity League.
    With a variety of agendas and uncooperative and restrictive measures taken, the role of managing and concentrating on winning football matches has left me at this point.
    I really hope that the great game we all love and follow does manage to find a better way but, at this moment in time, it’s impossible for me to be a manager in the current environment.
    Martin Russell

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    "The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later."

What's that mean?
    I'd say the website gets more traffic than Bray paid for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Didn't realise that was even a thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Why are the current owners even sticking around ? Are they still living in the cloud cuckoo land that the council will put them in charge of developing the Carlisle grounds ? I wonder at this stage do they just want to bust the club as that plan hasn't worked out .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Martin Russell – Statement
    Due to the constraints and unrealistic circumstances that have unfolded in recent times at Bray Wanderers FC, it is with deep regret that I have made the decision to resign as manager.
    I would like to thank all the staff, supporters and players for their efforts whilst at the club. It has been a trying time for everyone concerned and highlights once again the lack of a proper football industry that we can all aspire to.
    I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to Gerry Mulvey, the club’s chairman who, like myself, staff, players and supporters, is as much a victim of the sorry state of affairs that we find ourselves in.
    Gerry has always been honest with me, but unfortunately promises made to him have constantly been reneged on and, despite his tireless efforts, he has been unable to find enough support throughout the business world and the FAI in order to bring matters to a viable resolution.
    I believe Gerry has always wanted something beneficial for football to come out of his involvement with Bray Wanderers FC and its participation in the Airtricity League.
    With a variety of agendas and uncooperative and restrictive measures taken, the role of managing and concentrating on winning football matches has left me at this point.
    I really hope that the great game we all love and follow does manage to find a better way but, at this moment in time, it’s impossible for me to be a manager in the current environment.
    Martin Russell
    Did Mulvey hold a gun to Russell's head when he wrote that statement?
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast