Thread: Fitness first for Reid

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Fitness first for Reid

Fitness first for Reid

Nottingham Forest manager Gary Megson believes Andy Reid will be a massive hit at Tottenham - if he can get himself fit.

Reid had been desperate to leave Forest and was sold last month, along with England Under-21 defender Michael Dawson, to Tottenham for a combined total of £8m. But Megson indicated it could be some time before Spurs fans see the best of the Republic of Ireland winger because, he claimed, the previous regime at Forest had left the players so badly out of shape.

Megson felt a Forest side at peak fitness might have snatched an FA Cup fifth-round victory at White Hart Lane on Sunday. Instead the players just ran out of juice.

Reid was ineligible for the game, but paid a visit to the Forest changing room at full-time and Megson predicted a bright future for the 22-year-old.

"Andy came into the changing room. I said I didn't recognise him because he had a smile on his face on the match programme," said Megson. "All I saw while he was at Forest was a big, long face - 'I want to go to Tottenham, I want to get away' - which you understand.

"I am pleased for him and I'm sure when he gets himself in the right shape he will be a massive player for Tottenham. It's a deal that has worked out well for everybody. We got a terrific amount of money that will help us and they have gone to a fantastic football club."

Any of you think Reid will be as good as Duff??? I think Megson is correct about him needing to get fitter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy
    Reid has bags of talent, my only concern - and I'm being picky here - is that any time I've seen him he seems to be carrying a little bit of weight. Maybe he just needs to lose that?
    Reid's weight has been mentioned on a weekly basis for the best part of 2 years (a lot more than the likes of James Beattie and David Dunn), I'm pretty sure if there was anything to lose it would be well gone by now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reid has bags of talent, my only concern - and I'm being picky here - is that any time I've seen him he seems to be carrying a little bit of weight. Maybe he just needs to lose that?
    He was lookin a bit more pudgy (my nice way of sayin Fat) that usual at the Portugal match..
    mind you it didn't stop him keepin up with the best of them..
    he will have to get fitter to play for spurs

Any of you think Reid will be as good as Duff??? I think Megson is correct about him needing to get fitter.
    Are ya mad
    Not a hope Duff is in a different league to Reid and gettin better and better..Reids good but don't get carried away now

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I read another interview with Megson who referred to the general lack of fitness & conditioning at Forest under Kinnear. Maybe it was just a cheap shot but I have felt for a while now that Andy Reid is carrying a few pounds. Not that I study these things but when he swapped shirts at the end of the Cyprus game (photo was in the papers) he had none of the muscle definition that most top players have now.

He's not overweight in the sense that any of us might be a bit podgy, just in the context of the modern top-flight footballer's condition. Just look at how gaunt RMK is these days compared to a few years ago. Likewise Richard Dunne.

I've no doubt that a couple of months at a club like Spurs will improve Reid's fitness and it'll be interesting to see how his form responds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    Duff is in a different league to Reid

Not anymore.
    Reid has moved to Spurs who, like Chelsea, play in the Premier League.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    Not anymore.
    Reid has moved to Spurs who, like Chelsea, play in the Premier League.
    Your just soo smart aren't ya

he he you crack me up...

(think I suffer from mood swings )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    (think I suffer from mood swings )
    Wait until menopause sets in!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Reid has everything, hunger, ability, vision etc etc...

the only thing he has to loose is a few kilo's. He does look like he has lost a bit but he defintely doesnt have that lean look yet.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Reid has everything, hunger...
    Too much hunger maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    to look at it in a positive light i think reid has the potential to be better than duff. a mad thing to say maybe, but look at the facts.....
    reid is more consistant than duff was when he first came on the scene...his first 2years at blackburn were on and off
    also, it may be the first division but reid is a better goalscorer than duff, also is catchin up with duff in international goals as well!
    another plus for reid is that he is very comfortable playing left wing, rite wing up front, behind the strikers and even in a central midfield role..he played all of these whilst at forest
    also has the potential to be a leader...he was named captain at forest during his time and did a lot of charity work

all in all, he has the makings of an outstanding footballer and like duff, hes set pieces are also superb. hes set pieces for shots are better than duffs as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Reid is a fantastic player but Duffer was voted the best left winger in the world at the age of 23. Reid has a lot to do yet to get that far.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Megson is telling porkies

Megson is telling porkies

By STEVE BRENNER

MARTIN JOL insists Andy Reid is not overweight — and he has the tests to prove it.

Nottingham Forest boss Gary Megson accused Spurs winger Reid of being a touch on the heavy side following last weekend’s FA Cup clash between the sides.

Megson reckoned the former Forest star, 22, would be a better player if he was in better shape.

But Tottenham boss Jol revealed the Republic of Ireland ace has undergone a series of fitness checks — and came out with top marks.

Jol said: “We’ve done tests with Andy Reid and it showed he is one of the fittest players at the club.

“Andy is not Gary Megson’s responsibility any more. He is our player and we believe he is in good condition.

“Andy knows his fitness. He is a small guy so maybe he looks a little out of shape — but I tell you he isn’t.

“His heart rate was excellent. His recovery was terrific and I have no complaints.

“We conducted some body-fat tests on him and the results were good.

“I met Gary Megson after the game. He is a good guy and I told him how brave he was to take on the job at Forest.

“But I think Andy is really fit, so I don’t agree with what Gary said.”

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    has any journalist/interviewer asked reid about it (his weight).
    i'd love to hear his reply.
    anybody ever hear or read a quote from reid ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Duffer was voted the best left winger in the world at the age of 23.

I think that was down to the fact that each and every one of us voted multiple times. I think I registered 100 votes at least.
    He certainly deserved it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Reid is a fantastic player but Duffer was voted the best left winger in the world at the age of 23. Reid has a lot to do yet to get that far.
    yes thats true and a good point but equally at the age of 21-22 no-one could have predicted it!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    yes thats true and a good point but equally at the age of 21-22 no-one could have predicted it!
    Not necessarily true. When Ireland played in the U20 World Cup in Malaysia a number of years ago Duffer was voted as the best European player in the competition and as far as I remember he was only about 17 then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    Reid will be 23 in the summer, the UEFA team is voted for in December so Reid has a lot of work to do if he wants to be voted the best left winger in the world at the same age Duffer did it.

BTW - I must have been the only person on this forum (and in the bloody world) that didn't think Reid was overweight and it looks like I was the only one in the world that was right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Maybe it's just his build? Like Cartman, he's "not fat, just big boned"?
    and James Beattie
    and David Dunn

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

Talking

or Mickey Quinn.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Reid is our Maradona

By ERIC BEAUCHAMP

TUBBY talent Andy Reid has a new nickname at Tottenham — Little Maradona.

But his team-mates insist it is because he plays like Argentinian legend Diego Maradona, not because of his size!

World Cup winner Maradona, 44, has ballooned since his days as the globe’s greatest player.

Midfielder Reid, 22, was accused by Nottingham Forest boss Gary Megson of being fat after leaving for Tottenham in a £4.5million January switch.

But Spurs striker Jermain Defoe said: “I call him a ‘Little Maradona’ because of his balance — and his left foot is brilliant. He is a great player.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast