Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Champions League / Europa League 2017-18

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    "The current iteration..". Never seen the word iteration being used in this context.

I remember PSG doing well in the past but then I also remember Man City winning European trophies before the megabucks came to Maine Road.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Clubs from 8 different countries in the last 8 of the Europa League. Wonder when that last happened? Great to see though, albeit that the CL is as predictable as ever, a slight German slump this year aside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Clubs from 8 different countries in the last 8 of the Europa League. Wonder when that last happened?
    2004-05 UEFA Cup - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E...Quarter-finals

A couple of reasonably close calls in between. There were two teams from Belgium last season which was a bit unusual and also a Bucharest derby at the q/final stage 2005-06. I'd forgotten about the trouncing Zenit gave Bayern Munich in the 2008 semi final.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Winning this would save Wenger surely?

And still a possibility that two Red Bull teams will meet each other.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Surely there has to be some sanction against Liverpool for the attack on the Man City bus last night? If not it becomes open season on away buses ?? Great first half performance mind you.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    It was right outside the ground right? I suppose you could argue its a policing matter primarily, and the club can't be held too responsible. I've heard it claimed authorities are sometimes a bit hesitant to go after Liverpool for fan behavior problems, but they were fined for what occurred in the stands of the 2016 Europa League Final (though it was really just a financial slap on the wrist). It might happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    It was right outside the ground right? I suppose you could argue its a policing matter primarily, and the club can't be held too responsible. I've heard it claimed authorities are sometimes a bit hesitant to go after Liverpool for fan behavior problems, but they were fined for what occurred in the stands of the 2016 Europa League Final (though it was really just a financial slap on the wrist). It might happen again.
    Yes, right outside the stadium I think. Rightly or wrongly, if the club doesn't face some sanction, what's to stop yobs at every ground attacking the away buses in the hope of intimidating the away side and thereby gaining a perceived advantage.

I was surprised to see a window shatter. I would have thought that Man City with their billions would have fitted shatter proof windows on the coach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Well now, weren't they two interesting results? Two teams who pride themselves on attacking football have once against shown that you also to be able to defend. City may bemoan the fact that they had a goal incorrectly disallowed when 1-0 but then their first goal should have been ruled out for a foul by Sterling so that evens itself out. Managers are myopic of course and don't see such things - they only see the injustice perpetrated on their team. I didn't see the Roma v Barca game (too busy wringing my hands as each QPR goal hit the back of the net) but Barca have been shown to be vulnerable on their travels so it wasn't the "shock" the media are portraying.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Well now, weren't they two interesting results? Two teams who pride themselves on attacking football have once against shown that you also to be able to defend. City may bemoan the fact that they had a goal incorrectly disallowed when 1-0 but then their first goal should have been ruled out for a foul by Sterling so that evens itself out. Managers are myopic of course and don't see such things - they only see the injustice perpetrated on their team. I didn't see the Roma v Barca game (too busy wringing my hands as each QPR goal hit the back of the net) but Barca have been shown to be vulnerable on their travels so it wasn't the "shock" the media are portraying.
    5-1 over two legs and guardiola blames the ref!
    such nonsense spoken this season about city being one of the all-time best EPL teams. not a patch on the great arsenal or man utd teams of the EPL era

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Pep's just not used to his current position, losing three games in a row - at least two of them in embarrassing circumstances - and facing an away trip to Spurs in a few days, so it could be four (when was the last time that happened to them?). Looking for any excuse to deflect from the sudden blip. Chances of them messing up the run-in are miniscule but the gloss has been taken off their season a bit regardless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    5-1 over two legs and guardiola blames the ref!
    such nonsense spoken this season about city being one of the all-time best EPL teams. not a patch on the great arsenal or man utd teams of the EPL era
    Certainly not as good as the Sheffield Wednesday side of the 1928/29 and 1929/30 era

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Buffon's post-match rant after being sent off last night is something else, a real "They can't touch me anymore so I'll say what I like" thing: https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/uefa...cid=spartanntp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    "If you can’t handle the pressure and have the courage to make a decision, then you should just sit in the stands and eat your crisps." - Actually, the reverse happened. The referee had great courage in making the decision knowing what was at stake. The easy way out would have been to wave play on and not give the penalty. So what is he saying? If a side comes back from the dead, the other side should not be awarded what was a fairly clear penalty both for the nudge in the back and the tackle from behind.

Who would want to be a referee after garbage like that?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Who would want to be a referee after garbage like that?
    Somebody who has garbage for a heart, it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Good piece. I didn't realise Juve had such high moral standards historically!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Being an old cynic, I usually don't enjoy the hype surrounding games but I certainly enjoyed those two semi-finals. I wonder when is the last time a team scored 6 goals in a semi-final and didn't go through. A lot of talk of porous defences but sometimes the attacking play is so good, it's not the defence but the brilliance of the attack. I thought this in particular for the Madrid vs Bayern game. Some of the latter's one touch play was excellent and very hard to defend against. Liverpool, on the other hand, do have a dodgy defence but if you can score 7 goals, what's the problem. Looking forward to the Final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I thought the Liverpool Roma tie was comical to be honest, the defending, the refereeing, everything. Credit to Liverpool for displaying the quality to expose Roma's naivety in that half hour spell in the first leg but, outside of that, it was well below what you'd expect at that level.

I agree about the other tie to a large extent. Real didn't help themselves with the way they were set up, hopefully they'll be less open in the final!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I thought the Liverpool Roma tie was comical to be honest, the defending, the refereeing, everything.
    Is that not entertainment ?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I found the second leg of Real Bayern entertaining. I can't say I was overly engaged by the game last night, depends what you're after I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast