Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Uruguay - Sunday 4th June 2017 - Friendly

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    About to name MOTM. I'd give it to Arter myself.

Edit, Keith Andrews has indeed given it to Harry
    Last edited by Closed Account; 04/06/2017 at 7:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    About to name MOTM. I'd give it to Arter myself.
    He hasn't really contributed much offensively, but, with a lifeless performance from Hendrick, he could slot in alongside Whelan.

Hoolahan was as impressive as Arter and central to the improvement in our play after we came on.

I'd say it should be two from Whelan, Hendrick, Arter and possibly even Brady if Walters takes his usual position in wide midfield, and then either Murphy or Walters up top (I think, goal aside, Murphy showed as much as Walters and that was an excellent pass to put McClean through).

We have to take the incentive and start Hoolahan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Randolph 6, Christie 7, Duffy 7, Long 8, Ward 6, Brady 8, Arter 7, Whelan 6, Hendrick 6, Hayes 6, Walters 7
    Westwood 7, Hoolahan 8, Pearce 6, McGeady 6, Murphy 7, McClean 8

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Good performance, even if the absence of Cavani and Suarez will diminish it slightly.

But it was only a friendly still. Next one is the one that counts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Decent performance all round and a good result. Needed a result after two losses on the trot. That should boost confidence and create some excitement in the build-up to next weekend.

Hoolahan was really impressive, as ever. Thought Murphy did well too when he came on. Arter deservedly won MOTM. Long did fine at the back and didn't commit any clangers or anything, which sometimes is more crucial than necessarily standing out.

I got the sense Uruguay weren't giving it their all, but it was still a very positive and encouraging performance from us, especially in the second half, against a top side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Agrhgrhrhr i missed it - thought it was 7:45....3am here now ffs!
    Can someone do a detailed player rating if they have time? I trust ye'res more than the papers

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Thanks Man

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    random question. It seems Austria havent played a game, friendly or otherwise since a friendly v Finland 28th march (finished 1-1). Ireland have played 2 friendlies... but one involved a trip to the US; jet lag? A win will be a good boost... but how advantageous is it? Will Austria's players be more rested after the end of their season etc? thoughts?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Randolph - Good until he came to no man's land for the goal. His stock has fallen with this performance. Replaced at the half by Westwood
    Duffy - Attocious the other night. A lot more assured today. Looked good on the ground and in the air.
    Long - Kevin was a pleasant surprise. Would need to see more of him at club and international level to call him a prospect.
    Ward - Not one of his better games. Gave up a couple of needless free kicks, including, if I'm not mistaken, the one we conceded from.
    Christie - Looked slow and way off the pace against Iceland. Couldn't get past the full back that night. Improved on that against Mexico and improved still further tonight. Goal was a bit lucky but I like when he cuts inside.
    Arter - Simply brilliant. He's everything Whelan is not. Runs hard, harries, wins the ball back and distributes it beautifully. Simply has to start against Austria.
    Whelan - Never a fan of his, but in all honesty Glenn was not to bad tonight. He worked well with Arter. Better than Hendrick but that would have been easy.
    Hendrick - Jeff is in a slump right now at international level. Poor performance. Did not look like getting on the ball and stamping his authority on the game. Season can't end fast enough for him. A start for him next Sunday would not be in Ireland's best interests.
    Brady - Brilliant. Every time he gets possession he is danger to the opposition. Whether he is playing a forward pass behind the defence or doing a one-two with a team mate. He was and is crucial to our success.
    Walters - Took his goal superbly and held up play nicely. Missed a real howler but no one will care if he can net the winner next week.
    Hayes - Looked energetic and promised much at times. He looked like a threat when ever he got the ball, but his game petered out before and after half time
    Hoolahan - Brilliant, but did we expect anything else
    McClean - Full of running and took his goal brilliantly. Still can't find out (from replay) who played him in. Was it Wes?
    McGeady - Neat and tidy in the two or three possessions he had during his late cameo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Personally, I would omit Hendrick who is still living off the performance against Sweden and the one great goal he got for Burnley. He is Mr. Anonymous more often than not. The team is always unbalanced looking trying to accommodate him in any case.
    I agree that Hendrick shouldn't be an automatic starter around whom the rest of the midfield should be built, but I think it's a tad harsh on him to say he's living off one performance against Sweden and a goal for Burnley.

For example, he contributed with a very important assist for Walters against Georgia at home in the qualifiers for the Euros after some lovely footwork in a tight spot (see from 0m36s in the video):

And then there was the assist for O'Shea away in Germany, of course. That was a very difficult ball from Hoolahan for him to deal with, particularly as he had his back to the approaching ball and had to quickly turn to get it back to O'Shea, but he controlled it perfectly with one touch on the full volley.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    random question. It seems Austria havent played a game, friendly or otherwise since a friendly v Finland 28th march (finished 1-1). Ireland have played 2 friendlies... but one involved a trip to the US; jet lag? A win will be a good boost... but how advantageous is it? Will Austria's players be more rested after the end of their season etc? thoughts?
    Next Sunday's game is all about pshchology. We need to go at them full tilt from the off. Austria are four points behind us and will not have Auratovic and possibly Alaba. How motivated are they going to be (remember it is the last game before the summer break) if they run into an Irish buzz saw?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    If anything, I'd say they'll be rusty as they're out of season and won't have played together for so long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Christie - Looked slow and way off the pace against Iceland. Couldn't get past the full back that night. Improved on that against Mexico and improved still further tonight. Goal was a bit lucky but I like when he cuts inside.
    Christie arranged a personal training camp for himself in California prior to the Mexico game and met up with the rest of the squad after they travelled across the Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McDonnell
    Cyrus Christie takes his football so seriously that he marked the end of his club season with Derby by heading off on a personal training camp.

When his season at Derby finished, Christie decided to head off to Los Angeles for eight days of fitness work to ensure he was ready for Irish duty. He trained at EXOS, a high-performance facility for athletes that was first recommended to him by Lee Carsley when he was a teenager.
    It seems it may well have benefited him as he has definitely looked quicker and more powerful these past two games. Great to see him really grasping the opportunity that has been presented to him by virtue of Coleman's injury.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Christie arranged a personal training camp for himself in California prior to the Mexico game and met up with the rest of the squad after they travelled across the Atlantic.

It seems it may well have benefited him as he has definitely looked quicker and more powerful these past two games. Great to see him really grasping the opportunity that has been presented to him by virtue of Coleman's injury.
    ended up watching the 2nd half on a spanish language stream on bein sports and both commentator and co-commentaro were surprised arter got MOTM. both went for christie.

and i don't even speak spanish!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    On reflection, I would be tempted to go with Arter and one other, possibly Whelan going by this game.

But Hoolahan has to play.

So if that means Arter has to settle for a place on the bench, tough cookies.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Nearly fell off my seat laughing when Christie scored (again) with his left foot I like Christie and thought criticism after Wales was harsh.

Randolph judgement under the microscope again. He had clearly pre-decided to take charge after the defence had looked at sea for previous set pieces. Never pre-decide. Westwood was nearly tempted by a similar ball, made the right decision and made a good save as a result.

A lot of second half a blur as super hot Ukrainian chick sat beside me in The Kingdom in Kilburn, along with a nice Romanian pal and a racist South African rugby player who thought Uruguay had done well in the last Euros.

Good goal by Walters, bad miss and then two near carbon copies of previous goals by Christie and McClean.

Good night's work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Can't figure Eastern European women out, Stutts.

That's a story for another day.

I don't think Randolph will be phased by his mistake and I don't think Westwood will be phased if he comes in.

I think they are much of a muchness.

They strike me as remarkably similar in their body language and general attitude.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Privet! Kak dela! Dobrasam, otlichno!

Suka dubijob
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    On reflection, I would be tempted to go with Arter and one other, possibly Whelan going by this game.

But Hoolahan has to play.

So if that means Arter has to settle for a place on the bench, tough cookies.
    No tough cookies. Arter has to start and Wes too along with Robbie Brady. Three ball players on the same pitch at the same time means we have a decent chance of beating Austria.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    So the big question right now for everybody is: PICK THE IRISH STARTING TEAM FOR NEXT SUNDAY.
    Not even sure I know the best team myself. There are certain players who must start and then there are others who are 50/50

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast