Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOI fixtures June 2nd

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Agreed. Another silly goal given away by Pats but for once they didn't collapse after doing so

Fagan and Lunney both missed several chances and Pats should really have won

Improved effort from Pats
    You're players looked like they were going to collapse once the goal went in but I think holding out until half time was key, if rovers had got a second I felt that was game over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    In-depth analysis of a crazy game at the Markets Field, in which both sides defensive structures were out-to-lunch, here.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Not the best game in Cobh last night, Wexford played well and frustrated Ramblers and should have had a penalty just before we scored, still nice to keep the pressure on Waterford going into the break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Dundalk were absolutely dreadful last night and were miles off Cork in every area. Totally outplayed, a shambles for the last 20 summed up by schoolboy defending for the 3rd goal. No complaints with the result, maybe 3 flattered Cork but they were worthy winners and look an excellent side. During the middle of the second half we actually enjoyed watching Cork play, moved the ball perfectly around and great running, the game was up anyway at that stage.

They need to back it up now in Europe, but on this form they look in very good shape. I'd be very worried about our hopes now in Europe, having to lift things after last night will be tough enough, total rebuilding is what's required, a lot of players are just not good enough.
    Last edited by oriel; 03/06/2017 at 2:39 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Really good win for the Blues last night. It was over once we got the second after 18 minutes. It's been years since I've had that feeling (although we lost a lot of games that way last year). We've been creating lots of chances without taking them so sooner or later, somebody was going to take a hammering. Felt a bit bad for Roddy, but it sets us up really nicely going into the break and with the transfer window to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    Really good win for the Blues last night. It was over once we got the second after 18 minutes. It's been years since I've had that feeling (although we lost a lot of games that way last year). We've been creating lots of chances without taking them so sooner or later, somebody was going to take a hammering. Felt a bit bad for Roddy, but it sets us up really nicely going into the break and with the transfer window to come.
    It's good to hear ye are back in song after a few tough years. After Derry, Cork and Limerick were promoted in near consecutive seasons, Waterford seemed to be next in line before the wheels came off. It'll be a good year to get promoted before 3 quality teams invigorate the First Division.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Thanks legendz. A few horrific years - I stayed off foot.ie. Was trying to limit my exposure to the trauma to 90 minutes per week. Yeah we did seem to be next in line then, but the same was true back in 2008/9 when Dundalk, UCD and Fingal went up. Everyone thought it would be our turn next. The best year we had was 2010 but that excellent Derry side pipped us and Hendo blew the play-off. We weren't anywhere near as good two years later when we lost the play-off to Dundalk. Seánie Maguire had the same impact on us as he's had with Cork this year, but overall we weren't strong. I'm a realist so I'll be surprised if we aren't promoted this year. Not saying it's a sure thing, but it's looking good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk were absolutely dreadful last night and were miles off Cork in every area. Totally outplayed, a shambles for the last 20 summed up by schoolboy defending for the 3rd goal. No complaints with the result, maybe 3 flattered Cork but they were worthy winners and look an excellent side. During the middle of the second half we actually enjoyed watching Cork play, moved the ball perfectly around and great running, the game was up anyway at that stage.

They need to back it up now in Europe, but on this form they look in very good shape. I'd be very worried about our hopes now in Europe, having to lift things after last night will be tough enough, total rebuilding is what's required, a lot of players are just not good enough.
    So has Dundalk now become like Rovers from 2011 onwards? I.e. Complancy sets in and suddenly players who were excellent now looking 'lazy' ,I was particularly surprised to read today's match reports of how poor Massey was as for last few years he was terrific .

Is this just the way of the LOI where players with right management can look terrific but ultimately they drop off - which of course explains why so few ever make it across the water.

Big challenge for Kenny and the club - he's made a small fortune via his bonus for last season , so maybe subconsciously he also is not quite able to work at the same level as previous seasons?

Whilst Caulfield whatever one thinks regarding his technical ability has the advantage of being 'driven ' and that for me explains a lot of the reason Cork are doing well.

Rovers meanwhile continue to flounder on account of continuing poor decision making by our board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    So has Dundalk now become like Rovers from 2011 onwards? I.e. Complancy sets in and suddenly players who were excellent now looking 'lazy' ,I was particularly surprised to read today's match reports of how poor Massey was as for last few years he was terrific .

Is this just the way of the LOI where players with right management can look terrific but ultimately they drop off - which of course explains why so few ever make it across the water.

Big challenge for Kenny and the club - he's made a small fortune via his bonus for last season , so maybe subconsciously he also is not quite able to work at the same level as previous seasons?

Whilst Caulfield whatever one thinks regarding his technical ability has the advantage of being 'driven ' and that for me explains a lot of the reason Cork are doing well.

Rovers meanwhile continue to flounder on account of continuing poor decision making by our board.
    Padraig Harrington used to speak of setting goals. Someone might have a goal to win a major. If they achieve it but hadn't set a goal for after that it can be quite difficult to readjust and set a new focus on attaining the same and/or other majors.

There's naturally a lot of different aspects at play here. Losing quality players, short off season, some players possibly played at a higher level last season that they might not reach again, dodgy decisions going against them, Cork's awesome form and the bit that Cork have between the teeth right now.

Dundalk started very well last night. Cork crucially had the quality to nudge in front and then to kick on from there. I can't see Dundalk fading too far away. Time naturally will tell.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    You're players looked like they were going to collapse once the goal went in but I think holding out until half time was key, if rovers had got a second I felt that was game over.
    No one who's watched Pats over the past 2 years could argue with that. Thankfully fought back well in the second half

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    What a poor game in Sligo. Neither side really wanted to play football but yet, it was still good entertainment.

0-0 was probably a fair result.
    Not sure if there 3 worse teams then the 2 of them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Massey was absolutely dreadful last night, he played like a guy with no confidence, his passing was poor, lost the ball too many times, and missed a golden chance to make it 1-1 right on ht, last year and esp 2 years before, that would have been buried.

Cork were excellent and were better in every area, but this is a team that has been building for years, final touches applied, meanwhile Dundalk have lost key players every season, interesting to read today the MF that started from the cup final double side of O'Donnell, Towell, Finn, Horgan (and Meenan) all gone apart from O'Donnell who didn't start last night.

Its simply a case of the current players are not good enough, and a rebuilding job is required for next season. If we can hang on to 2nd, that will still be an excellent season given the player exits, and it will be 5 years in a row in the top 2.

None of this takes away from the disappointment of a dreadful display last night, but interesting to look back that Cork were probably the opposition of the worst and best displays under Kenny, the best being the 2-1 win in TC in April 2015, double season.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    Derry unbeaten in nine after steadying the ship after losing Ryan. Serious amount of injuries this season too. Made hard work of the game though after going 2 up.
    Didn't we just? Some fairly roping defending from ourselves left me thinking we were lucky to come away with the win. We were great before Galway scored, every attack looked dangerous. Galway settled in after their goal, they actually looked improved over how they were last month against us. I think they'll be ok this year.
    Just a side point, but I think Galway shouldn't have been wearing their home top. A few times I mistook their players for our and vice versa.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Ah your just getting old , dodgy eyesight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Not sure if there 3 worse teams then the 2 of them
    I don't know about Sligo, but I genuinely don't believe we'll be relegated.
    Down a couple of players still and others playing through injury and we're still picking up results.
    7 points from 9 isn't relegation form.

Sligo were very poor but despite a poor Harps performance, we still did enough without ever really being threatened.

We set out for a point and got it. Job done.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    If you can get a few more performances out of mccourt like the one in tallaght you will stay up no problem. The 3 down is hard to call and one thin is for sure some big names will be in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    What the hell was Burke playing at?! Thats beyond idiotic. You have to give your team a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Crazy stuff. All set up for a final push for last 15 minutes and suddenly it's over. Nuts !

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    If I was Bradley I would've booted him never mind the water bottle

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    It was a stupid thing for Burke to do alright, but he should not have been on the pitch when it happened. He was out on his feet for the previous 10 mins, giving the ball away. Bradley needed to recognise this sooner and make a change.
    Both Burke & Bradley still have a lot to learn .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast