Thread: Paddy Kenny & the weekend's Irish

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts

Paddy Kenny & the weekend's Irish

Based on what I saw this weekend & in recent games:

Paddy Kenny looks to be a very accomplished ‘keeper. Each of his side’s FA Cup games has been live on TV and I think he’s looked the part. Good with crosses, good handling, good shot stopper, manages his box well and distributes well. I'm not so worried abot Shay's back-up now. Someone (Schmeichel?) said recently that he's a Premiership Quality 'keeper.

Derek Geary reminds me of Dave Langan.

Jay Tabb’s cross for Brentford’s equaliser was quality.

Roy Keane ran the show again on Saturday.

Steve Carr looks to be playing well again. Bramble preferred to O’Brien again though.

Maybury got beaten easily for Charlton’s goal but otherwise looked good going forward.

I didn’t see Colin Doyle’s howler but I read that he played very well afterwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Apparantly there's a few premiership clubs interested in Kenny but Warnock has put a big price on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Bramble preferred to O’Brien again though.
    and he has supposedly been playing well too. Souness said he was outstanding in 7 of his last 8 games (the UEFA cup being the not so outstanding game).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I didn’t see Colin Doyle’s howler but I read that he played very well afterwards.

Yeah, he did very well apart from the howler. Let it slip through his hands unfortunately, so he must have been one relieved man when they got the equaliser.
    UCD sha-la-la

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cullenswood
    Yeah, he did very well apart from the howler. Let it slip through his hands unfortunately, so he must have been one relieved man when they got the equaliser.
    Yeah and Forest nearly won it with a few minutes to go but Robinson made a great save.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Based on what I saw this weekend & in recent games:

Paddy Kenny looks to be a very accomplished ‘keeper. Each of his side’s FA Cup games has been live on TV and I think he’s looked the part. Good with crosses, good handling, good shot stopper, manages his box well and distributes well. I'm not so worried abot Shay's back-up now. Someone (Schmeichel?) said recently that he's a Premiership Quality 'keeper.
    I think it is only a matter of time but I just hope it isn't Newcastle - the papers have bee linking him to the Toon army, that would be very bad news indeed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked Geary whats the craic with him?
    Has he got age on his side or is he pushing on in years, any chance hes got a decent left foot (back up for O Shea)

What was worrying about O Brien was that he wasnt even a sub so I presummed he was injured, if Souness just ddint fancy him for the game then I think O Brien must be in real trouble at Nwecastle, but didnt they gave him a new deal recently?

Saw Doyles game against Spurs the goal if anything was worse than Rab Douglas howler which is saying something however he did make two fine saves. Unfortunately he was only playing because the regular keeper was suspended so as far as I know it will be back to the bench for him next game

As for McGeady.......Martin O Neill is doing the young fella no favours continually shunting him out onto the left wing when he is predominantly right footed and preferes to play in the middle just behind the strikers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    O'Brien may not be the best defender in the world but he's infinitely better than Titus Shambles, can't understand this. He may need to get out alright, any oppurtunity to avoid working with Souness should be taken anyway, he's a complete nutter.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Paddy was taken off with an injury for Sheff Utd early in the match tonight...

Sean Thornthon came on (33rd min) for Sunderland, got 2 goals and set up a goal for Gary Breen, Elliott also played but taken of at H/T. Kav and Alan Lee played in Cardiff's 0-1 home loss to Millwall (Lee taken off around 70mins). David Connolly played the full 90 in Leciester's 3-2 defeat @ Stoke, (didnt score), Alan Maybury played 75 mins before being subbed. Rowlands played full 90 for QPR v Wolves; Kevin Gallen (who supposedly can play for us) scored for QPR in the 1-1 draw. Foley played for Luton (full 90 mins) in their 1-0 win home to Walsall, Steve O'Leary (youth player supposed to be q.good) came on for Luton at H/T. Joe Murphy was in goal for Walsall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Great summary mate.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I saw Paddy Kenny too and I was impressed, he looks to have the
    makings of a great keeper.
    I was Colin Doyle’s howler too but he played well apart from that. He is
    only about 19 years old but I think he will develop into another great keeper.
    A good result for Forest.
    Kris Commins almost scored a great goal (not Irish though)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo
    Paddy was taken off with an injury for Sheff Utd early in the match tonight...

Sean Thornthon came on (33rd min) for Sunderland, got 2 goals and set up a goal for Gary Breen, Elliott also played but taken of at H/T. Kav and Alan Lee played in Cardiff's 0-1 home loss to Millwall (Lee taken off around 70mins). David Connolly played the full 90 in Leciester's 3-2 defeat @ Stoke, (didnt score), Alan Maybury played 75 mins before being subbed. Rowlands played full 90 for QPR v Wolves; Kevin Gallen (who supposedly can play for us) scored for QPR in the 1-1 draw. Foley played for Luton (full 90 mins) in their 1-0 win home to Walsall, Steve O'Leary (youth player supposed to be q.good) came on for Luton at H/T. Joe Murphy was in goal for Walsall.
    Nice report here

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match...423267,00.html

I like the quote: "Sean's terrific on free-kicks, corners and bits of magic but the game's about the other ****ty jobs like tracking back, heading and tackling,"

"But that said, Sean did them all tonight."
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Mick will make a player of Sean Thornton, he won't get into the team until he fills out his game and does the dirty stuff - we know he can hit the wonder goals.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    What I like about him is that he watched the Dutch match on TV at his wedding back in June. He's got his priorities right!

Apparently the match was set up after he set the date.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MickCollins
    I think Mick will make a player of Sean Thornton, he won't get into the team until he fills out his game and does the dirty stuff - we know he can hit the wonder goals.
    I get the impression our Sean isn't the brightest young lad. I think it might have taken a little while for the penny to drop. He's one that could go either way: he has the talent to be a star but does he have the rest of the attributes? I reckon Mick will do a good job with him though. Give him a taste of what it's like & then see if he has the application to follow it through.

He could be a contender for a WC06 spot IF we manage to get there. I really hope Sunderland gets automatic promotion, and Sheffield United sneaks in as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Wrong thread
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).