Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Austria - Sunday 11th June 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Westwood
    Christie Duffy Keogh Ward
    Arter Whelan
    Brady Hendrick McClean
    Walters

The team I think O'Neill will go for. I hope he goes for Westwood in goal.
    I wouldn't mind Hoolahan taking Whelan's or Hendrick's place but don't think ONeill will start him.
    Last edited by Fixer82; 06/06/2017 at 10:04 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Westwood

Christie - Keogh - Duffy - Ward

Hendrick - Arter

McClean - Hoolahan - Brady

Walters

That's probably what I'd go with. I'd prefer O'Shea to Keogh but it's a bit concerning that he didn't get any game time in the friendlies. Maybe Long has an outside chance?

I'm not in love with the idea of Brady or McClean starting on the right but both have made themselves pretty much indespensible at the moment.

This game is made for Hoolahan, it'd be a crime not to start him.

Hendrick and Arter would give more energy to our midfield than Whelan. We've performed better without him a fair few times at this stage.
    I'm inclined to agree with all of the above, Del. That team would be brilliant.

Had Hendrick played much at the base though?

I think that midfield would be brilliant. There's so much energy in there it would be like the Euros all over again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think himself and Arter can share defensive and offensive responsibilities in that system, both of their primary jobs would be to receive the ball and feed the three ahead of them as often as possible, along with crowding out the space in front of our defence (and Alaba in particular).

Hendrick has played similar roles for us in the past I think. The friendly at Craven Cottage springs to mind where himself and Meyler complimented each other perfectly, taking turns of sitting and attacking. Even in the Euros he played in a two man midfield for the Italy and France games, a prospect I wouldn't have been mad about but he did well. Hoolahan's presence practically gives our midfield an extra body, compared to playing two up up front, which I think suits Hendrick better as well.

Hendrick was outstanding as the designated holding midfielder in Derby's playoff against Hull last season, the only time I've seen him play that role on his own.

On the flip side, Gibson and Hendrick didn't really work as a two man midfield in Glasgow against Scotland. I think the side was set up poorly that night anyway though and the tactics were one dimensional.

Strangely enough, considering some of the recent question marks towards him on here, Kenny Cunningham has been signing his praises, saying he's reached a level where we are almost building a team around him!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Cunningham
    (O'Neill's) got some really good options in that central area. It's just which balance he wants to strike.

From my point of view I'd like to see Wes Hoolahan in the team, playing his preferred number 10 position. He gives us a real creative edge.

If we play Wes in that position, then you have to look at your natural midfield pairing behind him - what's the best partnership in that area of the pitch?

For me, one of those players has to be Glenn Whelan with his defensive mindset. And beside him it's Jeff Hendrick. I think we almost have to build the team around Jeff now, I'm a huge fan.

Harry Arter has really impressed, I understand that, but the partnership of Whelan and Hendrick gives better balance.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...in-irish-goal/

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I just see this comment from O'Neill as well in the same article from The Examiner about the two goalkeepers. Could this have been aimed at Hendrick, as one of the few ever-presents at the Euros?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin O'Neill
    You start to think: ‘Can I slot someone in there, can they do a job?’. It’s all on to the Austria game and I’m hoping there are players in there who think: ‘Do you know what, I was pretty regular during the European Championships but maybe my position is in jeopardy now’. Jeopardy might be too strong a word, but: ‘I might not start this game'.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Our team looks a shoe in for a 4231 formation.
    Kenny C when co-commentating on sunday, seemed to think (with bullet train rapidity) that if Arter was selected v Austria, it would be most certainly at the expense of Hoolahan.

O'Neill reverts to indecisive mood re goalkeeper 'dilemma'. Newspaper reports imply that Westwood has improved, therefore he's pushing Randolph. I think Westwood has just been consistent whereby Randolph has become more error prone. However, O'Neill goes on to say "Obviously I knew Westy at club level. He's a really talented goalkeeper. Just get his head right and he's great."
    I don't know what to make of that, seeing as he's been consistently very good for the past 3 seasons. Go to Sheffield and get your head rightened?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    He won't drop Randolph over dodgy judgment in a friendly. If he screws up Sunday his position will be up for grabs in the autumn but not before then.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Randolph has been dodgy all year, now he's been dodgy for us. I see a pattern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McGoldrick is a doubt for Sunday: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...-austria-game/

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Leahy
    Martin O’Neill has confirmed that David McGoldrick is an injury concern ahead of Ireland’s World Cup qualifier against Austria at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday. The Ipswich Town forward sat out training this morning at the FAI headquarters in Abbotstown and the manager confirmed that McGoldrick had picked up a knee injury. McGoldrick has had a scan on his knee and the manager will await the results ahead of making a final decision on the player’s availability.

"David McGoldrick has had a niggle behind his knee which has come on a little bit," said O'Neill, speaking at the post-training press conference. "He has had a scan and we are just waiting for the results of that. But it is niggly and he is a bit concerned about it."
    Everyone else in the squad is fit, according to the manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Randolph was dodgy for us in our opening game of the campaign too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I don't even disagree with you. But I suspect MON would say he's been very reliable and I more strongly suspect MON won't make a change he's not forced to.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    McGoldrick now ruled out of the game. Leaves the squad having just two strikers now. Surely there's a case to call up Sean Maguire just to sit on the bench as a precaution a this stage now?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Arters interview was interesting today basically saying he felt they came more into it when Meyler came on for Whelan
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Arters interview was interesting today basically saying he felt they came more into it when Meyler came on for Whelan
    Post Uruguay game, Harry was asked in general about the game.
    “You always try to improve and hopefully when I do look back over the game I’ll be impressed. I try and learn off Glenn, he has played a lot at this level and for a lot longer than me so he has great experience international-wise and Premier League-wise; I really enjoy playing alongside him. I feel we really complement each other very well.”

if Whelan is fully fit, there's a very good chance he'll start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    An Austrian perspective on Sunday's game, courtesy of Georg Sander, editor of 90minuten.at: http://pogmogoal.com/republic-of-ire...isitors/24923/

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    I said above I had no idea which XI I think MON is thinking of. I'd say at this stage MON himself seems to have no idea! His comments have all been equivocal.

Daniel McD seems to be hedging his bets too.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35792295.html

GK - some degree of doubt
    Full-backs: certain I'd say
    CBs: any 2 of at least 3 good shouts, if not 4 or 5 including Long & Pearse
    Midfield: 3 out of 4 or 5? (GW, HA, JH, Wes, RB)
    Wide: 2 out of 3 (RB, JMcC, JW as a wide right option and maybe JH)
    Upfront: 1 out of 2, or 2 out of 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    btw, I said above I had no idea which XI I think MON is thinking of. I'd say at this stage MON himself seems to have no idea. His comments have all been equivocal.
    At most there's three places not quite certain I think but I'd imagine O'Neill knows at least two of them by now...

Randolph or Westwood?
    O'Shea or Keogh?
    Whelan or Hoolahan? (the big one really)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    If Alaba (as expected) plays in their central midfield, would it be worth having Whelan man mark him in a five man midfield? I don't think any of Hendrick/Arter/Hoolahan have the discipline to do that job, and it would mean sacrificing an attacking threat by asking them to do it anyway
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Randolph or Westwood? ( very close but Randy to win out)
    I would say its Wes or Jeff ( Jeff to win out) Arter and Whelo will start
    O'Shea or Keogh or Long as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Anyone go to the open training session this morning? A family member went out with her son and she came back full of praise for the players after seeing how patient and friendly they were taking pictures and signing stuff for kids. Unfortunately, she didn't pick up any hints on who'd be starting in goal
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    If Alaba (as expected) plays in their central midfield, would it be worth having Whelan man mark him in a five man midfield? I don't think any of Hendrick/Arter/Hoolahan have the discipline to do that job, and it would mean sacrificing an attacking threat by asking them to do it anyway
    I always think a job like this if required needs to be done and we shouldn't sacrifice a creative player to do it.

Defo Whelan in that case. Make his life a 'mare.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast