Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Austria - Sunday 11th June 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Westwood got a good stint in that friendly v England, more than the 45 minutes and yet a <100% Shay was used in the game v Scotland.
    I suppose it's hard to tell what O'Neill is thinking regards the goalkeeping situation but his rationale was suspect in the past in relation to Westwood.
    If Westwood does not play v Austria, I can't see Mon deciding that he will become nr 1 at any time.
    Last edited by geysir; 05/06/2017 at 1:20 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    If Randolph plays badly against Austria and starts next season as reserve?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    I've rarely been less convinced of my own preferred starting XI and if pressed to guess O'Neill's I wouldn't be confident I'd get more than 7 right.

I would pick the following:

----------Westwood-------
    ---Christie O’Shea Duffy Ward
    --------Whelan Arter
    ------Brady Hoolahan McClean
    -------------Walters

I think O'Neill may well go for Westwood actually. O'Shea in for Kevin Long and I think he'll start with Hendrick over Wes, Brady playing more centrally.

I haven't a clue though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Westwood got a good stint in that friendly v England, more than the 45 minutes and yet a <100% Shay was used in the game v Scotland.
    Sorry yeah, Westwood played the first hour. Given was our number one at the time though, I don't think Westwood was ever really in the reckoning to start against Scotland. The same could be true now in relation to Randolph, but his mistake has added some uncertainty I think.

suppose it's hard to tell what O'Neill is thinking regards the goalkeeping situation but his rationale was suspect in the past in relation to Westwood.
    He was very flattering recently in relation to Westwood's ability, and slightly concerned about Randolph's club situation. He definitely has had issues regarding Westwood's commitment in the past but I think there has been a bit of a shift in his mindset. Randolph might retain his place, but I reckon he's only hanging on by a thread if he does.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 06/06/2017 at 8:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think he'll start with Hendrick over Wes, Brady playing more centrally.

I haven't a clue though!
    Kenny Cunningham had a good segment on Hendrick last night on the RTE highlights show. He showed clips of some good link up play with Walters and clips of him going forward from a deeper position in the second half, a lot of which I didn't take much notice of during the game.

I'd be inclined to start Hendrick over Hoolahan with Arter & Whelan playing deeper.

Wes for Whelan would be a nice change to be able to make in the second half if we need a goal.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    I can't agree with any line up that doesn't start Hoolahan Sunday. The difference is immense with him on.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I can't agree with any line up that doesn't start Hoolahan Sunday. The difference is immense with him on.
    Before yesterdays game I would have said the same, but I thought Whelan, Arter & Hendrick worked well together.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    If Randolph plays badly against Austria and starts next season as reserve?
    You mean a reserve keeper in the EPL? He was dropped to the bench for the last batch of games. He'll not be their nr 1 keeper next year, more probably he'll be their nr 3, ie. if he isn't transferred.
    Randolph hasn't matured this year and he's making more errors.
    If O'Neill doesn't pick Westwood for this game, if Randolph implodes/breaks leg and is dropped, O'Neill would probably look elsewhere than Westwood, eg Rob Elliot to be the nr 1 after the summer.

Do you think O'Shea's likely to start against Austria? O'Neill didn't use him at all in the 2 friendlies. I'd have my doubts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    If O'Neill doesn't pick Westwood for this game, if Randolph implodes/breaks leg and is dropped, O'Neill would probably look elsewhere than Westwood, eg Rob Elliot to be the nr 1 after the summer.
    Just on Rob Elliot, why isn't he in the squad? I don't think he's injured, is he? Is Colin Doyle ahead of him now in the pecking order?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Just on Rob Elliot, why isn't he in the squad? I don't think he's injured, is he? Is Colin Doyle ahead of him now in the pecking order?
    he has some knee injury/ailment, related to the injury that him out for much of the season.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/05/worr...castle-united/

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Striker Marcel Sabitzer has been ruled out of Sunday's game (due to having slipped in his living room at home and crashed into glass, injuring a muscle in his upper arm), although Alaba looks set to be fit along with Marc Janko, Louis Schaub, Valentino Lazaro and Martin Harnik, who've also been carrying knocks: http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...arcel-10566089

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Kenny Cunningham had a good segment on Hendrick last night on the RTE highlights show. He showed clips of some good link up play with Walters and clips of him going forward from a deeper position in the second half, a lot of which I didn't take much notice of during the game.
    It was a good analysis alright. For anyone interested, the segment begins around the 46-minute point here: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/int...4697/10734780/

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Before yesterdays game I would have said the same, but I thought Whelan, Arter & Hendrick worked well together.
    Just because the woman down the street smiles at you, it doesn't mean you finish with your missus.

Come Sunday, we would be most likely bringing Hoolahan on to fire fight the scenario which has arisen directly due to him not having started IMO.

And that's not cool.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I'd maybe go back to the diamond and play all four of them. Brady and Christie as the fullbacks with Walters and McClean up front.

The only thing is Alaba worries me in that system.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 05/06/2017 at 10:39 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    I'd leave Hoolahan on the bench, I love him and the way he plays but he won't last ninety minutes no matter what.

----------Westwood
    Christie O'Shea Duffy Brady
    McGeady Arter Hendrick McClean
    --------Walters Murphy

Could see Ward in the line-up with Brady moving into midfield and McGeady making room for him. Walters on the right and Murphy up front by himself.

Big hopes for Arter. O'Shea simply must play, especially if Ward is in the lineup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Agree 110% Crafty. Wes completely changes the make up of the Irish team.
    It's like we try to batter down and impenetrable door when he's not there. When he comes on, it's like he's the man with the key to open the door.
    Opting to bring on Wes from the bench will be a risk which might back fire next Sunday. I would rather see us get a goal or two and then bring O'Kane on for Wes with 30 minutes to shore up the defence.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I'd leave Hoolahan on the bench, I love him and the way he plays but he won't last ninety minutes no matter what.

----------Westwood
    --------Walters Murphy

Could see Ward in the line-up with Brady moving into midfield and McGeady making room for him. Walters on the right and Murphy up front by himself.

Big hopes for Arter. O'Shea simply must play, especially if Ward is in the lineup.
    O'Shea playing next Sunday? If that is the case he should have at least got a half game against either Mexico or Uruguay just to keep him sharp. I'm not that tuned into his physical state, but people on here are saying his legs/pace is gone.
    Agree with Arter hundred per cent. He was a revelation yesterday and he can hold onto the ball and distribute it nicely.
    His placement in front of the defence / behind the midfield means we have a player who can keep possession (something we have needed for a long long time).
    That should release Brady to play further forward (playing Brady at left back would be a complete waste) as the lad can hold the ball brilliantly in any area of the pitch.
    And the most advantageous for us against Austira would be in close proximity to Walters and whomever his partner is (I would put McClean there simply because of his energy and pace and he is also on form at the moment).
    Murphy continues to struggle at international level.
    Ward did have a poor game yesterday by his renewed standards. But I think he will be up for it next Sunday.
    What I would like to see is our big lads (Ward, Duffy, Keogh and Walters) be placed strategically in the Austrian penalty area for set pieces. They are some weapons to have and we need to use them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post

----------Westwood
    --------Walters Murphy

But to your original point about leaving Hoolahan on the bench, I think that would be a mistake.
    We need all the creativity he gives us. If Arter can get him the ball and Hendrick or Whelan can be his foils, Wes can concentrate on running at the Austrian defence (with Brady, McClean and Walters as passing options for him).
    We can have a real go at them if Wes is playing.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    I'd be inclined to go with the following:
    Westwood/Randolph (really can't decide on this)
    Christie O'Shea Duffy Ward
    Arter Whelan
    Brady Hendrick McClean
    Walters

It just worries me not having someone beside Arter at the base. I feel dirty not vouching for Wes but I'd be worried about how narrow we would become playing all 4 of Arter, Whelan, Hendrick and Wes. Brady and Christie would end up with oceans of space ahead of them and would get notions of pushing up. That's not ideal from two lads who wouldn't consider defensive positioning as they're greatest attributes (which is another reason I'd have to play Ward if Christie is on the other side).

As always, there will be a talking point in there Sunday. If not a couple of them. I'm happy with the options we have so any 3 of Arter, Whelan, Hendrick and Wes would do me fine. McClean and Walters pick themselves from both Sunday and general selection trends. After that, it's anybody's guess but I think O'Neill has gone with Hendrick and Whelan in his team more often than not. Arter's hand is now in the air waving furiously for selection and it is hard to ignore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Westwood

Christie - Keogh - Duffy - Ward

Hendrick - Arter

McClean - Hoolahan - Brady

Walters

That's probably what I'd go with. I'd prefer O'Shea to Keogh but it's a bit concerning that he didn't get any game time in the friendlies. Maybe Long has an outside chance?

I'm not in love with the idea of Brady or McClean starting on the right but both have made themselves pretty much indespensible at the moment.

This game is made for Hoolahan, it'd be a crime not to start him.

Hendrick and Arter would give more energy to our midfield than Whelan. We've performed better without him a fair few times at this stage.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast