Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Austria - Sunday 11th June 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    There was a strong whiff of deflection in it yes, particularly MONs contribution. A player will be still in the heat of it and less objective.
    It was more than a whiff. It was MON completely deflecting from the fact he had a mare.
    You've got no fans.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    It was more than a whiff. It was MON completely deflecting from the fact he had a mare.
    I had said a strong whiff. I was actually agreeing with you. Do you manage a shave without falling out with yourself tell me ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    There was a strong whiff of deflection in it yes, particularly MONs contribution. A player will be still in the heat of it and less objective.
    Deflection on O'Neill's part - absolutely. Of all the poor performers on the day, including Whelan and Hendrick, O'Neill's was the worst. With his team selection he took two points which belonged to us and threw them down the drain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I had said a strong whiff. I was actually agreeing with you. Do you manage a shave without falling out with yourself tell me ?
    Erm, I wasn't disagreeing with you..
    You've got no fans.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    Erm, I wasn't disagreeing with you..
    Briefly OT, MeathDrog, what is the highest ranked football side in Meath (seeing you supporting the Drogs got me wondering) ? Have any ever come close to LoI ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Briefly OT, MeathDrog, what is the highest ranked football side in Meath (seeing you supporting the Drogs got me wondering) ? Have any ever come close to LoI ?
    The highest ranked in Meath would be teams in the local North Eastern Football League, of which Navan Cosmos would be the pick of at the moment.

Parkvilla FC are a Navan based team who play in the LSL. Traditionally they would have been seen as the highest ranked team in the county, getting to the FAI Cup proper on a few occasions but they have been on the decline in recent years.

There was an attempt a few years ago to enter a team into the new U17 LOI (think it was called Royal Meath FC) but that fell by the wayside. Honestly, the appetite isn't there for a LOI team in the county. Many in the county support Drogheda and more recently Dundalk. In fact, Drogheda United would pull in a sizeable ratio of their fans from Meath from areas like Slane, Navan, Duleek, Stamullen and even Balbriggan in Dublin.

Soccer has made huge strides over the past few decades but Meath is still traditionally a GAA county. Any attempt to set up a LOI side would end badly IMO.
    You've got no fans.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Emmet Malone reckons that recent cases of similar nature suggest O'Neill and McClean are far more likely to receive fines than bans over their comments in relation to the Austria game ref: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...cism-1.3127722

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Malone
    Both could potentially have suspensions imposed but in light of recent decisions relating to offences it seems highly unlikely. After the game between Slovakia and England, the Slovakian defender Jan Durica suggested in a post match interview that the sending off of his team mate Martin Skrtel had been part of a Fifa conspiracy to help England get to the World Cup at the expense of his country. But he received only a small fine.

“There is only one place at the World Cup,” he said immediately after the game. “Why should Slovakia go there, when we have England in the group? Of course, they will always prefer stronger team. Probably the referee exactly knew how to do it.”

Fifa reaction was to impose a fine of €5,000 while Iran coach Carlos Queiroz was let away with just a warning after he criticised match officials in the wake of his side’s game against Uzbekistan last October.
    Malone further points out that FIFA take on-field dissent and physical displays of disrespect for the officials far more seriously than they take comments in post-match interviews.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Dan McDonnell applied the same logic - http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35853683.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 04/09/2017 at 11:43 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Thread moved and locked
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617