Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Austria - Sunday 11th June 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    They are a difficult opponent alright. They'll threaten us in Tblisi. We need to open our account early and hopefully hit them on the break as they come looking for an equaliser.
    Team selection in that game will be crucial once again, but somehow I have lost all faith in MON's ability to see what't in front of his eyes.
    Best manager in Europe when he was at Celtic, because he achieved so much with so little, but last Sunday's performance from him will stick in the craw for many years to come.

Usually agree with you Mark but what, he won the SPL a few times, wow

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Usually agree with you Mark but what, he won the SPL a few times, wow
    Wasn't really thinking of his exploits in the SPL. More of beating teams like Juventus and Barcelona in Europe. And he took Celtic to extra time in the UEFA Cup Final in Seville, in a five goal thriller.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    I just thought I'd note the importance of the never-say-die attitude that seems to have been instilled in the team - this is the sixth competitive international under MON where we've scored in the last ten minutes to improve a result (Georgia, Germany, Poland, Italy, Serbia and Austria).

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I just thought I'd note the importance of the never-say-die attitude that seems to have been instilled in the team - this is the sixth competitive international under MON where we've scored in the last ten minutes to improve a result (Georgia, Germany, Poland, Italy, Serbia and Austria).
    That's one way of putting it and, whilst I was delighted those goals came and have been generally happy to credit O'Neill for making the necessary changes - something the inflexible Trap may not have done - there's also another (admittedly pessimistic) way of looking at it, or, to be more specific, there's another way of looking at those games where the goal improved the result from a potential loss to a draw. As I wrote in the "opponent watch" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    The pattern of play against our main group competitors at home seems to be to play very cautiously - giving our opponents a greater deal of respect than they probably deserve - and then making a big push for the final quarter or so. From what I can recall (and correct me if I'm wrong), against Poland (in the last qualification campaign), Wales and Austria all at home, that late burst proved to be just too late for us to snatch the three points and we've ended up with draws in games when we really could have won them had we started as we finished. Had we had another ten minutes or so in each of those three games, I think we could have won them. Despite having clawed back and squaring things up from being a goal down in two of those games, the end-result of a draw still felt oddly frustrating or irritating in the immediate aftermath considering how strongly I think we had finished those games.
    It's annoying that a conservative or overly cautious approach from the outset has allowed us to fall behind in the first place in some of the games mentioned before we've really utilised our full attacking potential late on, by which time it has often proved too late to take the very-much-achievable full three points on offer. Sure, it's great we didn't give up on getting back into those games, but it's just such a shame we left the spirited and gallant comeback efforts so late.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    For me there are two issues, although maybe linked to each other:

(1) the midfield selection was conservative
    (2) despite all the fighting talk in the build up, the players started like rabbits in the headlights. This was a bigger failing for me. MON is renowned for his motivational skills. They didn't seem to work on Sunday.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Wasn't really thinking of his exploits in the SPL. More of beating teams like Juventus and Barcelona in Europe. And he took Celtic to extra time in the UEFA Cup Final in Seville, in a five goal thriller.
    True but I was referring more to the style of play which was pretty boring at times.

Also not much tactical nous

He would never get a big job at Man United, or Arsenal, for sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yet David Moyes did.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    True but I was referring more to the style of play which was pretty boring at times.

Also not much tactical nous
    cant agree with this. The wins over Germany, Bosnia and Italy in the Euros were exciting. Also, some excellent football played in the first 60 mins against France in the euros before we ran out of steam and a very decent away win in Austria. You cant beat the likes of Germany, Italy, Bosnia and Austria away without some sort of decent tactical nous.

I have had mixed views about MON since he got the job but not really sure he can be criticised too much overall.

We have some decent players and we play to our strengths as best we can. The fact that the discussion around our fortunes and style of play centre around a 35 year old championship player speaks volumes of the type and standard of player we have.

I think many an Irish supporter has unrealistic expectations really.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    getting a little away from the match topic, if you want to discuss MON's management/tactical history there's a thread for that: http://foot.ie/threads/184787-Martin...-and-Roy-Keane
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I see that Icelandic clap hasn't run its course yet. I squirm in my seat when it's going on. They were actually doing it in the lead up to an Austrian corner in the first half and then to an Irish corner in the second. Not sure who it's supposed to help/encourage. All I know is that it has to go.

15. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I see that Icelandic clap hasn't run its course yet. I squirm in my seat when it's going on. They were actually doing it in the lead up to an Austrian corner in the first half and then to an Irish corner in the second. Not sure who it's supposed to help/encourage. All I know is that it has to go.
    I couldn't agree more, nearly as embarrassing as booing Glasgow Rangers players. For a nation renowed for playwrights, song writers and story tellers we're brutal when it comes to penning a few football chants. Do we actually have any originals????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    it was being done before the Euros.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Seemingly started by Motherwell fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8iC1Yf6h84

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Not as embarrassing as the James McLean has less than fond feelings for the Queen song.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Not as embarrassing as the James McLean has less than fond feelings for the Queen song.
    Haven't heard that at the last couple of games thankfully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I see that Icelandic clap hasn't run its course yet. I squirm in my seat when it's going on.
    Who gave it to you, that guy you met at the bar in Reykjavik? Can't they give you something for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Hahaha.... walked into that!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Haven't heard that at the last couple of games thankfully.
    You're obviously not behind the goal. Sung almost every time James makes a significant contribution.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    You're obviously not behind the goal.
    Well he is obviously not there now - the game was over a week ago!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    You're obviously not behind the goal. Sung almost every time James makes a significant contribution.
    I was in the corner behind the goals that Walters scored into the last day, not directly behind the goal. Didn't notice anything.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast