Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Austria - Sunday 11th June 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    Don't know how to feel after that, with 10 minutes left I would have taken your hand off for the draw but we showed Austria far far too much respect but we should have been dead and buried by the time of the equaliser.
    I can't believe arter was hooked, Hendrick should have been taken off, poor today and poor last week. As for the disallowed goal I'm not sure Duffy's intervention was necessary, the ball could still have ended up in the net but easy to say that from here. Had we taken the points it would have been something of a travesty. I hope that this game doesn't come back to haunt us.
    It will. This was the difference between our automatic qualification and a battle for second place which we are likely to end up with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Solid? Solid at doing what exactly?
    It's the same complaint since the Trappatoni days - what does Glenn Whelan do?
    Nothing, he's one of the most pointless players I've ever seen.
    Last edited by The Fly; 11/06/2017 at 6:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Close-to-the-whistle dissection of the game here, if anyone fancies a read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Somebody needs to teach Duffy how to defend and how to stand up your man. You don't have to try & win the ball every time opposition is coming at you. It might work in the Championship but not at that level.
    I thought Duffy was very reckless on one occasion especially as Austria were counter-attacking and he committed himself to a tackle, but he totally took himself out of the game in the process as he failed to win the ball and left gaping space behind him.

His balls up and across field weren't great either. Was he instructed to hoof the ball forward?

You can't blame him for attacking the ball for the disallowed goal - he showed endeavour at least - but he has a tendency to put his arms on opponents when he's challenging for headers. It can have frustrating consequences as it gives the ref the perfect excuse to blow up for a foul. That happened a few times today and unfortunately played a big part in the disallowing of the goal.

Big props to Randolph - that save has kept our hopes alive.
    Although I prefer Westwood, I have to give Randolph credit where it's due. Randolph definitely deserves big praise for that save. Kept us in it for sure.

I thought Kevin Long did very well too actually. Worth mentioning as it was his competitive debut. No complaints with his performance.

Walters was an absolute workhorse, as usual. As was McClean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    I didn't think Whelan did much wrong. Passed well, held his line. Did what he does. Maybe when I watch game back I'll change my mind. But I think he gets a lot of undeserved stick. Hendrick for me should be getting all the stick today. Totally anonymous.

I thought Duffy led with the arm for the disallowed goal and the ref was only to happy to blow the whistle. It could've been allowed but I think it was an unnecessary foul.

I still think Duffy can be very rash.
    On another occasion he got the ball for a throw-in in our half and lashed it at Whelan. Whelan controlled it well and passed to Long but, if miscontrolled, could've been a swift Austrian counter attack. He's a great threat in the opposing box but he gives me a few heart attacks in every game.

I doubted Randolph before today but he saved our bacon in the second half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    I really can't understand the flack Whelan is getting. For me, he was our best player in a dire first half.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I didn't think Whelan did much wrong. Passed well, held his line. Did what he does. Maybe when I watch game back I'll change my mind. But I think he gets a lot of undeserved stick. Hendrick for me should be getting all the stick today. Totally anonymous.
    I agree. Whelan did his job. It was Hendrick who failed to step up to the plate and he should have come off for Hoolahan; not Arter. In fact, so off-the-pace was Hendrick today that Whelan was actually the man trying to string passes together (and even uncharacteristically drove forward on occasion) in the final third of the pitch.

On another occasion he got the ball for a throw-in in our half and lashed it at Whelan. Whelan controlled it well and passed to Long but, if miscontrolled, could've been a swift Austrian counter attack.
    I had forgotten about that moment. It was very hasty and high-risk as Whelan - not the most mobile of players as it is - already had two Austrians in very close proximity. Had Whelan been dispossessed, Duffy was out of the game on the touchline and it was two Austrians up against just Kevin Long. In Duffy's defence, I suppose the clock was ticking and getting the ball back into play quickly was a priority as it ensured we kept up the momentum without Austria having a chance to re-organise, but it could have been costly.

O'Neill said to RTÉ that we were "very, very sloppy first-half and never really got a grip of the game at all". He added that he urged the players to bring "drive and determination into the game" at half-time. It would have been more honest of him if he'd just admitted that he got the tactics and selection wrong from the start. It was the introduction of Wes and other attacking players that changed the game.

When we actually put their keeper and defence under pressure - as we should have done from the outset - they panicked. They were at sixes and sevens. The keeper looked particularly weak, but we didn't even test him seriously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Prödl reckons Duffy's disallowed goal should have stood: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...-admits-prodl/

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Speaking to RTÉ, the Watford defender claimed that a Premier League referee would have let the goal stand and that he would have gone after the ball in the same way.

"I would attack in the same way," he said. "I think a British referee wouldn’t have whistled but lucky for us he was a Spanish referee and he gave a foul."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I agree. Whelan did his job. It was Hendrick who failed to step up to the plate and he should have come off for Hoolahan; not Arter. In fact, so off-the-pace was Hendrick today that Whelan was actually the man trying to string passes together (and even uncharacteristically drove forward on occasion) in the final third of the pitch.

I had forgotten about that moment. It was very hasty and high-risk as Whelan - not the most mobile of players as it is - already had two Austrians in very close proximity. Had Whelan been dispossessed, Duffy was out of the game on the touchline and it was two Austrians up against just Kevin Long. In Duffy's defence, I suppose the clock was ticking and getting the ball back into play quickly was a priority as it ensured we kept up the momentum without Austria having a chance to re-organise, but it could have been costly.

O'Neill said to RTÉ that we were "very, very sloppy first-half and never really got a grip of the game at all". He added that he urged the players to bring "drive and determination into the game" at half-time. It would have been more honest of him if he'd just admitted that he got the tactics and selection wrong from the start. It was the introduction of Wes and other attacking players that changed the game.

When we actually put their keeper and defence under pressure - as we should have done from the outset - they panicked. They were at sixes and sevens. The keeper looked particularly weak, but we didn't even test him seriously.
    Sorry, just don't see it with Whelan. How many years has he been the topic of conversation about whether he played well or not?
    And now with Hendrick going walkabout we are very very weak in the middle of the park.
    McCarthy, Hoolahan and Shane Long straight into the team for Georgia away.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Wales unlucky not to get the three points in Belgrade. Ended 1-1. How big a managerial screw up was that 1-1 draw at the Aviva?
    We could have been sitting pretty atop the table tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    bit worried that the two booking could come back to haunt us, especially the Christie one. Who's the replacement right full back if he's suspended? McShane?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Stojakovic and Matic yellow for the Flying Serbies. The law firm of Alan and Richards sent off in shame for Wales United. Sources indicate I my not have spelled anyone's names right.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    bit worried that the two booking could come back to haunt us, especially the Christie one. Who's the replacement right full back if he's suspended? McShane?
    Meyler, wouldn't you say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    David Meyler? John O'Shea? Marc Wilson?
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 11/06/2017 at 9:04 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Meyler, wouldn't you say?
    Doherty should be knocking but doesn't seem to be getting a look in

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    So it's Wales hosting Austria in Cardiff in the first week in September (both teams 4 points behind us and Serbia).
    The Serbs entertain Moldova and we are now in a critical game (a really must win) in Georgia.
    A few days later we welcome Serbia to Dublin.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Looks like a decent player any time I have seen him.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Can't believe the stick Whelan is getting on this board. He was a great player for us today. For me, the big culprit was Cyrus Christie, he just didn't seem to be able to do anything right.

Brady is not a RW and shouldn't have been started in that position. Hendrick didn't have a great match either. I'm no fan of Ward but he did well enough before he came off.

Walters was incredible - we will really miss him when he retires.

The commentator on the feed I was watching mentioned that Murphy has been told to find a new club. I thought he was one of the top goal scorers in the Championship last season? I know he's old but it seems strange.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Murphy had a good year two seasons ago - 27 for Ipswich. He was a bit-player for Newcastle this year; 5 goals in 14 league games.

Agree on Walters.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Can't believe the stick Whelan is getting on this board. He was a great player for us today. For me, the big culprit was Cyrus Christie, he just didn't seem to be able to do anything right.

Brady is not a RW and shouldn't have been started in that position. Hendrick didn't have a great match either. I'm no fan of Ward but he did well enough before he came off.
    This guy is MON's pet. It doesn't matter if he is a passenger and does nothing on a regular basis, he will still start no matter what.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast