Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Midweek fixtures

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts

Midweek fixtures

Currently nine goals separating the bottom four.

Cork really starting to choke too; 1-0 down to Sligo. If cork win and other results stay the same, it'd mean nine goals separating the bottom five!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    2-1 City. Lads really didn't like going behind! Battered them in the second half. Sligo are the only team to take the lead against us and they've now done it twice this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Really starting to think we might actually do this. Two big games in the next 10 days or so. If we can take 4 points from them you'd have to think it would be pretty much over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Surprisingly easy in tallaght tonight could have been more. Rovers starting to look like a team with a bit of belief. With the league over aleady it all seems a bit bizarre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Really starting to think we might actually do this. Two big games in the next 10 days or so. If we can take 4 points from them you'd have to think it would be pretty much over.
    Impressive to be fair, 1-0 down at ht away and getting a 2-1 win, significant lead increased, red hot favs no doubt about that, but you want to be in double figures in September to be really confident. A lot can happen during the summer with Europe, and Rovers and Dundalk next two won't be easy, but Cork can 'afford' slips up there.

Dundalk could beat Cork in two weeks and still be miles behind, so Cork are in a very strong position, I'd be very surprised if they didn't win it this year, but summer will be the significant period.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Shockingly bad result for Pats tonight in Ballybofey. No excuses for that one. How can we go away to Derry and Bray and get a draw and yet ship 3 to the bottom side ? (And they beat us in Inchicore too !) worrying times.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    The league title is over.

Dissappinting way to concede a winner but Cork much better team second half. We are really down to the bare bones at the moment. Roll on July.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Watching MNS what a joke I heard the ref was a joke but I didn't believe it. The standards of refs is terrible. Effects every club randomly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Watching MNS what a joke I heard the ref was a joke but I didn't believe it. The standards of refs is terrible. Effects every club randomly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    You'd want to have seen the excuse for a referee that was in action in Finn Park tonight. I've said this many times, but this time, I've truly never seen worse. John McLaughlin, remember the name.

On the match, Pat's were total dog sh!te. I've never seen a worse Pat's team.

Keep in mind, this is a Harps team that is patching up unfit players to get through games. Danny Morrissey is around two stone overweight, Jonny Bonner is as far away from fitness as a sumo wrestler, Packie Mailey played with his head wrapped up to protect his head wound, and the bench was full of under-19s and an injured Barry Molloy such is the constant injury crisis we're finding ourselves in, and yet, there was only one team in the game tonight.

Two absolutely horrendous mistakes at the back gifted Harps first two goals.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Things will obviously change tonight, but amazing to look at the bottom, with 5 currently locked on 14 points.

Anyone's guess who the 3 will be at this stage, but it sounds very worrying from a Pats perspective, I thought the same as Nigel when they visited Dundalk earlier in the season, they looked like a FD side, and I honestly can't recall them being that bad previously.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Shockingly bad result for Pats tonight in Ballybofey. No excuses for that one. How can we go away to Derry and Bray and get a draw and yet ship 3 to the bottom side ? (And they beat us in Inchicore too !) worrying times.
    Even more surprising considering that Harps had lost their last six games, having only scored once in them.

Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Watching MNS what a joke I heard the ref was a joke but I didn't believe it.
    I assume you're referring to Maginn Park. No idea what it was given for. Watched it back a few times, but don't think it went out of play at all, as Bradley said he was told.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    I assume you're referring to Maginn Park. No idea what it was given for. Watched it back a few times, but don't think it went out of play at all, as Bradley said he was told.
    Chatting to fella in work there, said the ball definitely went behind the line. Mystery solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    We were missing about 5 first choice players as well,first half you were horrendous .
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    2-1 City. Lads really didn't like going behind! Battered them in the second half. Sligo are the only team to take the lead against us and they've now done it twice this season.
    And we missed a penalty as well.
    Maguire lost his footing as he struck the ball.
    Serious words said at half time as we were poor first half.
    2nd half we battered them. Could have scored another couple.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    And we missed a penalty as well.
    Maguire lost his footing as he struck the ball.
    Serious words said at half time as we were poor first half.
    2nd half we battered them. Could have scored another couple.
    For all Cork's dominance our keeper hardly had a save to make in the second half and their goals came from our mistakes. They were there for the taking (a draw at least) last night but we don't have the players or bench to capitalise.
    Cork got the job done cause they are effective, not a whole lot of footballing finesse. I was surprised by how much Cork seem to panic. With 35-40 minutes to go they were lumping balls forward. And when that didn't work they brought on Campion to knock the long balls up to.
    Granted it's only the first time I've seen them but from what I seen a half-decent team in Europe that can keep and pass the ball wouldn't be worried too much about them.
    Last edited by redobit; 23/05/2017 at 2:01 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Impressive to be fair, 1-0 down at ht away and getting a 2-1 win, significant lead increased, red hot favs no doubt about that, but you want to be in double figures in September to be really confident. A lot can happen during the summer with Europe, and Rovers and Dundalk next two won't be easy, but Cork can 'afford' slips up there.

Dundalk could beat Cork in two weeks and still be miles behind, so Cork are in a very strong position, I'd be very surprised if they didn't win it this year, but summer will be the significant period.
    If Cork don't win the league it'll be the biggest bottle job I can think of. It will take a collapse from them coupled with an unprecedented run from us, Bray or Derry. To be fair to Cork they are showing no signs of complacency.

It's a crazy league at the bottom, just when one team look buried they pull out some results only to be dragged back in again. Pats and Harps are the latest example

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    The word last night was that for each of our goals our bench all jumped up in unison, its clear that there is a massive desire to win each game and we have not been taking games for granted.

If we were to pick up 2 points per game for our remaining games we'd finish on 79 points, which is more than Dundalk have achieved in any of the last three seasons.
    Thats the equivalent of 6 losses, 9 draws or some combination of both. Dundalk would need 2.7 points per game to reach the same number. They could only afford to drop 5 more points by the end of the season to catch us if we hit that number.

2 points per game would be pretty horrible form for any league contender so realistically Dundalk can't afford to drop any more points. They are realistically hoping for a complete collapse from us at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Not really though. There are 18 games to go. Ok Dundalk and the others need to do their jobs against cork and everyone else but a draw here and there for Cork would see the chasers gain 2 points if they can win.
    Before the break we need to win our 3 games (derry pats and cork). Worst case scenario we will be 10 behind with what 15 to play. After that we the chasers need a run like cork have had at the start of the season.
    It's going to be a tough ask for the chasers but there are still too many points up for grabs and varying results for us to throw in the towel but we would need a flawless run and must beat cork next week and in tc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Not really though. There are 18 games to go. Ok Dundalk and the others need to do their jobs against cork and everyone else but a draw here and there for Cork would see the chasers gain 2 points if they can win.
    Before the break we need to win our 3 games (derry pats and cork). Worst case scenario we will be 10 behind with what 15 to play. After that we the chasers need a run like cork have had at the start of the season.
    It's going to be a tough ask for the chasers but there are still too many points up for grabs and varying results for us to throw in the towel but we would need a flawless run and must beat cork next week and in tc
    I'm factoring those points dropped here and there in - thats where my 2 points per game comes from - that would puut us at 79 at the end of the season (we can theoretically reach 97).

Dundalk can best case scenario reach 84 points if they win every game from here to the end of the season. Thats unrealistic. It would be a 19 game winning streak. If we do drop to 2 point per game form for the rest of the season then Dundalk can only drop 5 points between now and November. 2 points per game is usually what the team in 3rd or 4th end up with. So if we play like Shamrock Rovers or Derry did last year for the rest of the season then Dundalk can drop 5 points. If we play any better than that then Dundalk can't afford to drop anything.

Heres a little more context, Dundalk have been awful this year - no one will argue that. Dundalk have 1.92 points per game. If we were as bad as Dundalk have been so far, and for longer than Dundalk have been bad, then we'd finish on 77 or 78 points. That would allow Dundalk to drop 6 or 7 points between now and the end of the season. If Dundalk win tonight then their average is up to 2 points per game by the way.

79 even seems low for us, but it should be enough. Bohs set the record in 2008 as far as I'm aware with 85, we're more than half way there and we only need 2.3 PPG to match them. Though we would only be able to drop 12 more for the remainder of the season to get there.
    Last edited by El-Pietro; 23/05/2017 at 3:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast