Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball is upon us

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Baseball is upon us

Any other baseball fans out there? I decided I'd make my own little thread and talk about how the Mets are going to rise again to win the NL East and go to the World Series.

With Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran on board plus a healthy Kaz Matsui and Jose Reyes they should compete. Plus David Wright, Mike Piazza, Cliff Flyodd and Mike Cameron thats a good batting lineup. with Glavine, Benson and Pedro the rotation is good enough to win and Looper save. No one knows whats going on but wtf cares anyway?

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Men in tight outfits playing rounders doesn't do it for me i'm afraid.....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    With Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran on board plus a healthy Kaz Matsui and Jose Reyes

jeez, london, soon madrid, and america, that boy gets around!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    was fond of watching baseball when I was living in Massachusetts. A day out in Fenway Park was always great fun (along with the beer, the women and the fenway franks!). Amazing year for the Sox last time out and Mass. in general is having a great time with the Pats winning the bowl too (if only the Celtics could get their act together!). Disappointed to see Pedro leave to the Mets. One of my favourite players along with Nomar Garciaparra who has also sadly moved on. Not up to date on how the trading and all has gone but hope to get back up to speed when the season kicks off.

Are any Irish or UK TV stations covering MLB for the coming season?
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Channel 5 in the UK were covering it a few years ago but don't know if they still are.

They used to have a live game ever week on CNBC back when it was called NBC Super Channel, as well as full delayed coverage of the series. The weekend coverage of US college sport used to be good on that as well with almost all of Notre Dame's games live (they'd show the Bayou classic instead in the last week of the season) and a bowl game as well. They were good for March madness too. I think NASN cover all that now. They were also the only channel over here to show Harrington and McGinley's World Cup golf triumph live.

Since the switch to a business only channel the weekend sports coverage has become a joke with retro Wimbledon films and highlights of multiple golf tournaments (that ended the previous week or possibly even earlier). Having said that I am the only person I know who both watches and likes CNBC's business coverage.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    www.mlb.com

The new season kicks off on April 3rd with The Damned Yankees at home to the Red Sox.

I would tend to follow the Seattle Mariners myself, but I kind of get lost in the off season. They're playing a Charity match in San Diego, according to the above mentioned site.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    Are any Irish or UK TV stations covering MLB for the coming season?
    you can subscribe to NASN on Sky Digital (don't know re NTL) but I think it is quite expensive. They have the regular season and playoffs although Channel 5 has the World Series but you need Sky Digital for that too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    you can subscribe to NASN on Sky Digital (don't know re NTL) but I think it is quite expensive. They have the regular season and playoffs although Channel 5 has the World Series but you need Sky Digital for that too.
    NASN is €20 per month.A bit expensive but you get a lot for your money and there is endless coverage of all the American sports if your into that. Channel 5 is not on sky digital - can you get it does any one know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard
    www.mlb.com

The new season kicks off on April 3rd with The Damned Yankees at home to the Red Sox.

I would tend to follow the Seattle Mariners myself, but I kind of get lost in the off season. They're playing a Charity match in San Diego, according to the above mentioned site.
    F the Red Sox. They will be awarding the World Series championship rings to the Red Sox players on opening day. In front of the Yankees just to rub it in. However rumer has it that the Yankees in turn will have "26" printed on the sleaves of their shirts to get back at them, 26 being the number of times they've won the World Series. Lots of jibes going on already especially with A-Rod.
    As for the Mets, lots of new faces. However it will be the same result.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr's tribe
    Men in tight outfits playing rounders doesn't do it for me i'm afraid.....
    You sound like my mother. She could never understand why people would go watch "men in shorts chasing after a ball".
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    men in tight outfits playing rounders or men in white jumpers doing something similar(cricket) cannot be compared to men in shorts playing an exciting game now can it? how could your mum not enjoy it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid
    NASN is €20 per month.A bit expensive but you get a lot for your money and there is endless coverage of all the American sports if your into that. Channel 5 is not on sky digital - can you get it does any one know?

See

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/

for a Free To View card - costs £20 - one off payment and you get ITV 1.2 & 3, Channel 4 & Five plus lots of others

You need a UK address but card will work here.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    The Mets won't do anything this year, Florida have added so much power to their lineup. Atlanta should win the division again despite a dodgy bullpen now that Smoltz is back in the starting five, where he never should have left. Philly should break .500 and don't count Washington out, I've seen Montreal play more than any other team (save for my beloved Red Sox) over the past few years and they have a fully stocked cabinet of prospects ready to step up. The Mets have to hope that Beltran wasn't a one year wonder and that Pedros shoulder can last through April, never mind October. It's a big big gamble and I can't see them pulling it off this year, especially in such a good division.

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I usually subscribe to NASN around July as it takes a while for the season to get going what with so many matches, lets go White Sox
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vega007
    The Mets have to hope that Beltran wasn't a one year wonder and that Pedros shoulder can last through April, never mind October. It's a big big gamble and I can't see them pulling it off this year, especially in such a good division.

The Braves will win it again but I'm hoping for the Wildcard spot ahead of the Marlins. This season depends on injuries i.e. if Reyes, Pedro, Piazza and co can stay healthy then they have as good a lineup as any.

David Wright, 3B, is going to be the new star on this team. I have no fears about Beltran as he can swing it with the best of them.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    mets are too far out of it now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soko
    Any other baseball fans out there? I decided I'd make my own little thread and talk about how the Mets are going to rise again to win the NL East and go to the World Series.

With Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran on board plus a healthy Kaz Matsui and Jose Reyes they should compete. Plus David Wright, Mike Piazza, Cliff Flyodd and Mike Cameron thats a good batting lineup. with Glavine, Benson and Pedro the rotation is good enough to win and Looper save. No one knows whats going on but wtf cares anyway?
    The mets are usless Yankees all the way. I myself went to a yankees match in new york in 03 against the texas rangers. Top class. I got a baseball signed by derek jeter

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Used to Live in Montreal and once went to see the Expos get tonked 4-1 by the Cardinals... Montreal no longer have an MLB team... lost interest in baseball as a result....that's the sad reality of North American sport. The franchise can be sold and relocated.
    Some examples....Baseball. Brooklyn Dodgers moved to LA in the 1950's
    NHL Qubec Nordiques sold and moved to Denver Colorado and become the Colorado Avalanche.

NFL... Baltimore Colts Sold to Indianapolis
    Cleveland Browns Sold to Baltimore

At least in Eircom League Soccer... Shamrock Rovers would not be sold and relocated to Castlebar... or Waterford United sold and moved to Killarney
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 23/07/2005 at 3:39 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ali2005
    The mets are usless Yankees all the way. I myself went to a yankees match in new york in 03 against the texas rangers. Top class. I got a baseball signed by derek jeter

Jeter is a classy guy indeed.

The Mets are rebuilding but things dont seem as bad as you might think. They certainly need at least one more SP and a new closer but the batting lineup can keep them in games they shouldn't.

And Pedro is just incredible. 51-47 is hardly useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soko
    Jeter is a classy guy indeed.

The Mets are rebuilding but things dont seem as bad as you might think. They certainly need at least one more SP and a new closer but the batting lineup can keep them in games they shouldn't.

And Pedro is just incredible. 51-47 is hardly useless.
    I was only joking the mets are rebuilding their squad and in time they might become as good as the yankees.

(ya right!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast