Thread: The Stillery

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

The Stillery

Tis gone!

Is it that long since I was in Longford?! When did that happen? Broken window on it says it's been a while.

I remember it hopping back in the day. Think I had to sneak back into a lock-in there one year (probably different away trip to when we got kicked out of Albert Reynolds' company Christmas party)

Looks like it even became something after being The Stillery - would that be right?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Was it JP Reilly's last? The home of Section O for a while. I was only in it once or twice in the last 10 years I'd say. Very difficult for pubs to make any money in Longford these days from what I hear and what I see when I'm home. Only a few getting any kind of crowd at the weekends let alone any midweek night.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Yeah, JP Reilly's sounds about right.

Lyons' was dead before the match; a handful in it (plus a big dog). Some great reading on the walls though. Particularly liked the Freeman's Journal article from 1772; was basically an 18th century internet rant.

Valentine's was packed after at least.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Yeah Valentine's and The Spiral Tree will always get a crowd on a Saturday. A few others will as well, but say 10 years ago you had a much busier town. A lot of full pubs, two nightclubs. Maybe I'm just harking back to the "good old days" but it definitely seems a lot quieter around the town nowadays. Open to correction from those still resident there though.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    That pub was open up until a few weeks ago under the name JP Reilly's but he's closed up shop now. As Longfordian said we based ourselves there for a couple of years but the last year or so it turned into an absolute dive. Valentines does get a good crowd every weekend as does Andy Byrne's who has a few Town photos up on the wall. After that it's slim pickings